Smoking a 9 lb butt overnight

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mike5051

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Feb 7, 2015
New Orleans LA
Hi Y'all,

Just got my butt on the WSM, not gonna wrap or anything.  I am using Jeff's rub and nothing else.  I didn't apply mustard, even though I don't think it changes flavor.  I want to see how the bark develops.  The Maverick 733 is pretty far off from the lid therm on the WSM.  I trust the Maverick temp, it will settle in at around 250 in a bit, just a bit high from loading the meat. No water in the pan, 2 bottom vents closed and one 50% open.  This has provided me with 250 grill temps for my last 3 smokes.  I'm loving the WSM!

Mike

My last 3 smokes were at outdoor temps in the 40's..tonight is 65.The WSM wants to hover between 265-275. I think things will be fine, just maybe done sooner than expected.  At the present time, I'm about 5 hrs in and the butt is at 154 and the smoker is at 270.  

Thanks for watching Gary,

Butt is at 158, smoker down to 259. Beer is cold.  All is well in the smoking world.

thumb1.gif

Trying to capture photos of TBS is difficult, hope it shows up.
I detect a problem here.  There is just a wisp of pink in that TBS and that could lead to all kinds of problems.  As soon as the meat comes off, cut it in half, wrap in aluminum foil and then a towel and place it in a small cooler.  You should prepare it for fed ex overnite to an address I will provide when you alert me that it is ready.  Upon receipt and after thorough testing, I will advise you as to if the other half is safe to consume.  If it is not you will have to send it to the same address for proper disposal.  Good Luck.

I haven't even seen it yet!  It's IT is 187 and the smoker is at 248.  It should be right in a couple more hours.  That would be about 18 hours total, 2hrs per pound.  Y'all will see it when I do.

Mike

Was it worth the wait?   Honestly,  I wouldn't be able to pick the not wrapped vs the wrapped.  The pork has the same flavor, slightly different texture.  Put it on a sandwich and it doesn't matter.  If you've got the time let it smoke, pressed for time, wrap it up!  I think pulled pork is a very forgiving/delicious/awesome  smoking project.  

Thanks for watching!

Mike

Reactions: tumbleweed1
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky