Smoking a 9 lb butt overnight

Discussion in 'Pork' started by mike5051, Mar 14, 2015.

1. mike5051

mike5051 Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Hi Y'all,

Just got my butt on the WSM, not gonna wrap or anything.  I am using Jeff's rub and nothing else.  I didn't apply mustard, even though I don't think it changes flavor.  I want to see how the bark develops.  The Maverick 733 is pretty far off from the lid therm on the WSM.  I trust the Maverick temp, it will settle in at around 250 in a bit, just a bit high from loading the meat. No water in the pan, 2 bottom vents closed and one 50% open.  This has provided me with 250 grill temps for my last 3 smokes.  I'm loving the WSM!

Mike

2. Making the popcorn now

Gary

3. mike5051

Trying to capture photos of TBS is difficult, hope it shows up.

4. the kempire

the kempire Newbie

Looks like we are doing the same thing tonight... I just put 2 9lbers on.

5. Pic is fine   TBS right there

Gary

6. b-one

b-one Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Sounds like a good time!

7. mike5051

My last 3 smokes were at outdoor temps in the 40's..tonight is 65.The WSM wants to hover between 265-275. I think things will be fine, just maybe done sooner than expected.  At the present time, I'm about 5 hrs in and the butt is at 154 and the smoker is at 270.  

8. Good Luck, we will be here

9. mike5051

Thanks for watching Gary,

Butt is at 158, smoker down to 259. Beer is cold.  All is well in the smoking world.

[​IMG]

10. shaggy91954

shaggy91954 Meat Mopper

I detect a problem here.  There is just a wisp of pink in that TBS and that could lead to all kinds of problems.  As soon as the meat comes off, cut it in half, wrap in aluminum foil and then a towel and place it in a small cooler.  You should prepare it for fed ex overnite to an address I will provide when you alert me that it is ready.  Upon receipt and after thorough testing, I will advise you as to if the other half is safe to consume.  If it is not you will have to send it to the same address for proper disposal.  Good Luck.

11. mike5051

Awesome!  You folks in this forum bend over backwards to help out us newbies!

[​IMG]

12. Well how did it turn out ?

Gary

13. the kempire

the kempire Newbie

Let's see it mike....

14. mike5051

I haven't even seen it yet!  It's IT is 187 and the smoker is at 248.  It should be right in a couple more hours.  That would be about 18 hours total, 2hrs per pound.  Y'all will see it when I do.

Mike

15. We are all anxious !!!

16. mike5051

20 hours later.....IT of 195  smoker temp dropping below 210, that's all she wrote!  I took it off the smoker and resting it loosely tented with foil for 30 minutes.  It smells divine!

Mike

gary s and heubrewer like this.
  17. Looks great, Was it worth the wait?

Gary

18. mike5051

Was it worth the wait?   Honestly,  I wouldn't be able to pick the not wrapped vs the wrapped.  The pork has the same flavor, slightly different texture.  Put it on a sandwich and it doesn't matter.  If you've got the time let it smoke, pressed for time, wrap it up!  I think pulled pork is a very forgiving/delicious/awesome  smoking project.  

Thanks for watching!

Mike

tumbleweed1 likes this.
  19. timberjet

timberjet Master of the Pit

I'll have some of that please. Little coleslaw on top and some dill pickles. Thanks. lol

20. Nice Looking Pork

Gary