Smoking a 24 lb brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BigPapa559

Original poster
Jun 5, 2023
I’ve smoked a few briskets, but my wife got me a 24 lb brisket for my nephews graduation. I’m thinking of starting at 2pm Wednesday and eating 3pm on Thursday. Is this enough time? I haven’t trimmed it yet ether.

Reactions: JLeonard
Time will depend on what temp you are cooking at.
What I do when I have a deadline, is cook at temp you normally cook at and then when about 6 hours left you can raise the temp trying to finish an hour before the meal so it can have time to rest.
That is what I do, others may have different methods.

Reactions: JLeonard
Time will depend on what temp you are cooking at.
What I do when I have a deadline, is cook at temp you normally cook at and then when about 6 hours left you can raise the temp trying to finish an hour before the meal so it can have time to rest.
That is what I do, others may have different methods.
I was planning on 225-250. But I am no expert. I was planning on a 16-18 lbs brisket.

I do mine plenty early and modify temp up and down a bit as 02ebz06 mentioned. I try to shoot for 3 to 4 hrs before eating time. I have found that 1.25 hrs per pound at 250 gets me started on my cook time. Then i go up and down on the throttle as needed.

Corey

Reactions: 02ebz06
The weight doesn’t matter as much as the thickness. I would smoke like normal then wrap in foil and finish hot if need be and then rest. Make it work for you.

Reactions: PPG1
I've settled in on 275º for brisket. It also helps shorten or possibly eliminate the stall, although that's highly dependent on the brisket itself.

Reactions: 02ebz06
4-6 hours typically establishes a nice bark at 225-275 after that waiting for the stall at around 160 and just watching the temps after you wrap and adjust accordingly. if its a 24lb brisket im assuming is around 4in thick around the point so i would give myself a minimum of 12-14 hours. if it finishes early who cares keep it in the wrap throw it in a cooler and a beach towel soaked in hot water and itll stay hot for a few hours. as long as its probe tender when you pull it off the smoker you are golden.

I'm in the low and slow camp at least until I wrap it then I bump the temp up. I start at around 225 for about 6-8 hours or 160 internal then pan it and go up to 275 or so then adjust according to when I want it to finish. If I have the time I'll let it ride at 275 or maybe even go down to 250 if I need it finished faster I will go to 300 or 325. When I say pan it I mean putting it in a disposable aluminum pan usually with some liquid and putting foil over the pan and sealing it tight. My usual for in the pan is beef broth and low sodium Dale's 50-50. Heck a lot of the time I inject that same mix into the brisket after trimming the day/night before.
Take lots of pics of that monster for us

It went on the smoker near 2pm. I’m hopping to wrap before going to bed. It’s running in the traeger at 225. It’s at 145 right now.

Attachments

• IMG_8815.jpeg
    IMG_8815.jpeg
    156.2 KB · Views: 35
It took about 20 hours. It smoked 225 in a traeger until it hit 170 after 15 hours. Then wrapped until 10:15am. It rested in my yeti from 10:15-4pm.

Nice Job! I have a 24lb that I am doing for a grad party this weekend. This will be the first time cooking one larger than 16 lbs. I figured when they get that big the hrs / lb would go down as they seem to add proportionately more length than thickness, which is what I seem to be finding from others on line. I think I am going to plan on a 24 hr cook and 2 hr rest starting at 225.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky