Smokin surprise.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wild west

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Apr 25, 2016
Saskatoon Saskatchewan
My daughter requested PP for saturday supper at the cabin. I only have a weber propane grill there so i decided to smoke a 7lb butt last night and reheat in a slow cooker on saturday. I put it on at 9pm at 225* thinking it would likely reach 205* early this afternoon and my wife would be there to take it out and it could rest till i got home from work and then pull it. I had the maverick in the smoker to be sure of the cabinet temp and then at 11 i stuck it in the butt IT was 118* and then went to bed. I woke up to the maverick alarm about 6am it was set for 198. probed it a few places and it was like butter. Checked the cabinet temp again with the mav and to my surprise it was 260*. So i took it out and foiled it wrapped it in some old beach towells and stuck it in the oven. I made a variation of chef jj's finishing sauce. I used some home made choke cherry syrop instead of corn syrop. Ill pull it and dress it with saucr when i get home and post a couple more pics. A couple small pieces fell off for sampleing when i foiled it. Nice flaver and a surprising amount of bark.

Looks good. The Choke Cherry Syrup sounds like a tasty way to go. At 260+/- 1.5 Hours per Lb would be accurate and pretty much what you got. Hope the Little Lady enjoys your work...JJ

Thanks guys. When i got home my wife had already pulled it and sauced it. Sorry no pics. She needed the oven for a chicken pie for dinner. Anyway im very happy with the PP and a lesson learned for me. I may go with the higher temp and no wrap more often.

Looks tasty! The last several years I've been smoking pork butt at higher temps, 285-325. Same great pork, lot less time. I've never foiled so always great bark.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky