SMOKIN-IT SMOKER

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I should say that with my earlier post that I get fantastic bark and very moist results. I don't know if it possible to make it better. But like someone said, experimentation answers all questions.

I am just going to cook two sets of ribs. One at 225 and one at 275. I will see how it turns out and let you know. Any time advice for 275 for st. Louis? 2,2,1? 3,1,1?

I tweak a little 2.5 smoke1.5 foil .5 on the smoker for just a little crust.. Too long in foil and seem to just fall off the bone.. Some like it some don't.. Ohh yeah I go 230- 250 on temps
 Your system works. At your temperature (230 to 250) it  works. During the first phase you are getting the color you want and just a hint of pull back during the second phase you get your pull back and rendering of fat. That last one gives you nice bark. You will consistently produce great ribs   Jted

When I make ST. Louis ribs the 2.5 smoke , 1.5 foil and .5 smoke works great, even though I do let the ribs smoke longer . When I make pork ribs the systems seems not to be right. I have tried shorter times but the ribs seem a little rubbery. If I add time it seems dry. Does someone have a different time sequence for full slb pork ribs?

I skip the whole foiling thing all together.

I smoke St Louis cut ribs for 6-7 hours at 225 without opening the door until it hits the 5-6 hour mark.

I add a foil tin of apple cider or beer placed right up against the smoke box and let her fly.

Ever since moving to the SI, my foiling days are done.

Last edited:

I smoke St Louis cut ribs for 607 hours at 225 without opening the door until it hits the 5-6 hour mark.

I add a foil tin of apple cider or beer placed right up against the smoke box and let her fly.

I don't foil either since I love bark and don't want anything to inhibit the formation thereof. My #2 has consistently produce great bark for everything.

I don't foil either since I love bark and don't want anything to inhibit the formation thereof. My #2 has consistently produce great bark for everything.

This is one of the main reasons I do not foil. Plus I don't want to have to mess with the foiling. I get great results and don't have to have a multi-step process. Set it and forget it.

Reactions: gary s
Nice Looking Ribs  great Color    
points1.png

Gary

This is one of the main reasons I do not foil. Plus I don't want to have to mess with the foiling. I get great results and don't have to have a multi-step process. Set it and forget it.
Yeah, there's another reason; I am an incredibly lazy smoker. I like to play golf, play my guitar, sit on my duff, sleep, etc. while I smoke. In fact, I employ a PID so it will shut off when I forget stuff is in there or get hung up on the golf course. 

Yeah, there's another reason; I am an incredibly lazy smoker. I like to play golf, play my guitar, sit on my duff, sleep, etc. while I smoke. In fact, I employ a PID so it will shut off when I forget stuff is in there or get hung up on the golf course. 
LMAO......roger that....the only thing I foil is the bottom to catch stray drips not caught by the disposable alum pan under the grub. No spritz, no foil, no peeks, no water pan and no stress....put that stuff in and check back 'around' the time I thinks it's done. I gotz other stuff to do around here so love the SI #3 for continuous good chow even if I linger to long at Happy Hour with the boiz......Willie

Count me in as part of the no-foil group. I have a #2 with an Auber PID. The formula is simple for perfect baby backs or St. Louis ribs.

For St. Louis ribs, cook them for 5-5 1/2 hours at 230º. Do not preheat the smoker and use about 3 small-medium chunks of wood at most. You should be able to hold the wood in one hand.

For baby backs, change the time to 4-4 1/2 hours.

Start your timing from when you turn on the smoker. It should get to temperature in about 15-20 minutes.

The way to check for doneness is the "bend test." Use a pair of tongs to pick up the ribs. If the meat bends and starts to crack, they're done. If they're still stiff, cook them for another 30 minutes.

Simple and easy, with no fuss... and no liquid or foiling. The above method is foolproof if you keep the temperature consistent. You'll have ribs that pull cleanly right off the bone with a beautiful smoke ring.

Here are a couple other additional tips for a successful cook.

1. Cut the full slab (rack) of ribs in half, about 7-8 ribs per half. They're easier to arrange in the smoker.

2. If you're cooking a few racks, there is no need to rotate the ribs during the cook. This surprised me a bit since that's what I'd do in a conventional oven, but it's unnecessary in a Smokin-It #2.

3. Be careful with how much wood you use. Almost all of the smoke flavor will permeate the meat when it's internal temperature is below 120º. After that, the flavoring from the wood is minimal. Too much wood equals too much smoke which will give the ribs a bitter taste.

4. If you follow these directions and live in S. Florida, call me an invite me over for dinner!!

Last edited:

Count me in as part of the no-foil group. I have a #2 with an Auber PID. The formula is simple for perfect baby backs or St. Louis ribs.

For St. Louis ribs, cook them for 5-5 1/2 hours at 230º. Do not preheat the smoker and use about 3 small-medium chunks of wood at most. You should be able to hold the wood in one hand.

Start your timing from when you turn on the smoker. It should get to temperature in about 15-20 minutes.

The way to check for doneness is the "bend test." Use a pair of tongs to pick up the ribs. If the meat bends and starts to crack, they're done. If they're still stiff, cook them for another 30 minutes.

Simple and easy, with no fuss... and no liquid or foiling. The above method is foolproof if you keep the temperature consistent. You'll have ribs that pull cleanly right off the bone with a beautiful smoke ring.

1. Cut the full slab (rack) of ribs in half, about 7-8 ribs per half. They're easier to arrange in the smoker.

2. If you're cooking a few racks, there is no need to rotate the ribs during the cook. This surprised me a bit since that's what I'd do in a conventional oven, but it's unnecessary in a Smokin-It #2.

3. Be careful with how much wood you use. Almost all of the smoke flavor will permeate the meat when it's internal temperature is below 120º. After that, the flavoring from the wood is minimal. Too much wood equals too much smoke which will give the ribs a bitter taste.

4. If you follow these directions and live in S. Florida, call me an invite me over for dinner!!

I have never gotten a smoke ring with my #2. Care to share your secret? 

I'm not sure I have any secret in getting a smoke ring. I'll admit that sometimes it's more pronounced than others, but I've never been really concerned about it. It might have something to do with the rubs I use, which are usually simple. (One of my favorites is just kosher salt and pepper, and then adding a sprinkle of kosher salt and coarse ground pepper before serving.) If I don't use S&P, I use a recipe that combines Hungarian paprika, brown sugar, kosher salt,  garlic powder, onion powder and a bit of cayenne. I like the flavor of pork and think that too often the flavor of the meat is overpowered by a complex and heavy-handed rub.

IMHO, I think the smoke ring is more about cosmetics than taste. Marauder's answer suggesting higher heat might be a another method for you to get the infamous ring. Pork is pretty forgiving so cooking ribs at 250-275º would certainly be worth a try in your #2. I'd subtract out at least 30 minutes of cook time at the higher temps and then try the bend test for doneness. 

I'm more concerned with that the TV guys call "the pull." Since I don't foil my ribs, I want them to pull cleanly and completely off the bone during the first bite. The method I described in my post above is my "secret" and I have a pretty good reputation among my family and neighbors for the best ribs around. I know this sounds conceited, but in S. Florida, there is only one restaurant I'd eat in and order ribs where I think they're on a par with mine, and that's Tom Jenkins in Fort Lauderdale.

One last thought is what wood you choose. I usually use a piece of hickory and a couple small chunks of fruit wood, either apple or cherry. Remember, too much wood does not equate to more smoke flavor, and in fact, it turns the meat bitter.

Sorry for rambling. I hope this helps answer your question, tbrtt1.

Last edited:

I smoke St Louis cut ribs for 607 hours at 225 without opening the door until it hits the 5-6 hour mark.

Count me as another who doesn't foil. I tried it every way I could think of 3-2-1, 2.5-2-1, apple juice, Chef Jimmy Js foiling juice - and in the end, I settled on just what NDKoze states above. 6-7 hours, and I don't even open the door until about 6 hours, unless I decide to toss in another little chunk of wood. Fantastic ribs, and very little mess or aggravation. I did a lot of agonizing for the first year - and now I don't do any agonizing at all. 

I'm not sure I have any secret in getting a smoke ring. I'll admit that sometimes it's more pronounced than others, but I've never been really concerned about it. It might have something to do with the rubs I use, which are usually simple. (One of my favorites is just kosher salt and pepper, and then adding a sprinkle of kosher salt and coarse ground pepper before serving.) If I don't use S&P, I use a recipe that combines Hungarian paprika, brown sugar, kosher salt,  garlic powder, onion powder and a bit of cayenne. I like the flavor of pork and think that too often the flavor of the meat is overpowered by a complex and heavy-handed rub.

IMHO, I think the smoke ring is more about cosmetics than taste. Marauder's answer suggesting higher heat might be a another method for you to get the infamous ring. Pork is pretty forgiving so cooking ribs at 250-275º would certainly be worth a try in your #2. I'd subtract out at least 30 minutes of cook time at the higher temps and then try the bend test for doneness. 

I'm more concerned with that the TV guys call "the pull." Since I don't foil my ribs, I want them to pull cleanly and completely off the bone during the first bite. The method I described in my post above is my "secret" and I have a pretty good reputation among my family and neighbors for the best ribs around. I know this sounds conceited, but in S. Florida, there is only one restaurant I'd eat in and order ribs where I think they're on a par with mine, and that's Tom Jenkins in Fort Lauderdale.

One last thought is what wood you choose. I usually use a piece of hickory and a couple small chunks of fruit wood, either apple or cherry. Remember, too much wood does not equate to more smoke flavor, and in fact, it turns the meat bitter.

Sorry for rambling. I hope this helps answer your question, tbrtt1.
Thanks. I was just curious about the smoke ring. I thought about it once for about 15 seconds but never worried about it personally. I have heard a few folks say they get them with electrics,I was just curious is you had some method for producing one. Just curiosity. 

As for wood, I have been using the AMNPS, but of late I have had some issues with keeping it lit. I find them to be very sensitive to humidity and we have it in spades here in the Houston area (just like everywhere else on the Gulf Coast). In fact if it is raining I don't even bother anymore. And yes I have tried everything suggested here and the only thing that works is to bake them for an hour or so. That is counter to what I am after with my Smokin-It electric since that means I have to add another step and as stated in my post above, I am an incredibly lazy smoker. I have gone back to using Fruitawood, which I highly recommend. 

Edit Add:

I have noticed a contributing factor also for the pellets is whether or not the meat has been rubbed the night before. When I rub the night before the salt draws out some excess moisture. If I don't rub the night before, I find the meat renders lots of water and causes a lot of steaming in the smoker contributing to the the pellets staying lit, or so I hypothesize. Sometimes it even inhibits the ability of the smoker get above the 225* mark for the first 60-90 minutes. I still get good bark but it is a tad better if the meat is purged of its excess moisture by rubbing and a refer nap overnight. 

Last edited:

Count me as another who doesn't foil. I tried it every way I could think of 3-2-1, 2.5-2-1, apple juice, Chef Jimmy Js foiling juice - and in the end, I settled on just what NDKoze states above. 6-7 hours, and I don't even open the door until about 6 hours, unless I decide to toss in another little chunk of wood. Fantastic ribs, and very little mess or aggravation. I did a lot of agonizing for the first year - and now I don't do any agonizing at all. 
For BBs I like 240* and no peak til right at the 5 hour mark. No preheat in the smoker. Sometimes they are ready sometimes another 30min or so. For SLCs I go 240* for 6 and then take a peak. Again, sometimes they are good to go and sometimes a little longer. I try to get them before they fall off the bone but if they do (almost never with the above times and temps) I don't complain. I just eat em. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky