SMOKIN-IT SMOKER

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

I am very pleased with my MES40, all stainless with a window. I don't know what you are basing your opinion on. 

Chuck
Its of course all a matter of opinion but if you ever used a smokin-it smoker you would never go back. There are just build solid. MES has rubber for seals and will leak usually after a year or so. MES is just a cheaper made construction is all. MES will still get the job done but I just always believed in buy right the first time.

I feel compelled to put in my 2¢. I own two smokers. The one I've had the longest is a medium size Big Green Egg (BGE) and the newest is an SI #2 I got a couple years ago. I use temperature controllers with both to control the pit and keep the temperature consistent throughout the cook. For the BGE I use a DigiQ II from BBQ Guru. For the SI #2 I purchased an Auber. I'm a big fan of these technologies.

There are lots of things that go into having a successful cook, but controlling the temperature so that it stays where you want it is arguably the most important. Ribs are an example. I cook St. Louis ribs for 5 to 5 1/2 hours at 230º and baby backs for 4 to 4 1/2 hours at the same temperature. My results are consistent (my friends and family say I make the best ribs in S. Florida) which allows me a sense of freedom to experiment with things like seasoning and types of wood. I simply use the bend test (click here) to confirm that they're done.

Once you can control the heat in your smoker, regardless of whether you use charcoal, wood, gas or electric, you have already won the battle. The choice of protein, seasoning and wood are important, but trumped by being able to control the temperature and keep it constant. The whole essence of real BBQ is "low and slow", and you need to be able to control the "low" part in order to cook "slow." As I said, your choice of meat, seasoning and sauce will all contribute to your success or lack of it, but without knowing your equipment well enough to keep the temperatures low over an extended period of time, your cooking results will be hit and miss.

Like I said, my 2¢!

Last edited:
There are a great many folks who smoke on Old Smokey's, Big Chiefs, stick and charcoal smokers, gas, and a variety of electrics.  And in the grand scheme of things, 1 hour is still 1 hour (or 6 as I mentioned). The man or woman is in control of the final results, not the smoker. He or she determines the time, the temperature, the amount of fuel to use, type of wood for the smoke, all based upon what is being smoked and the weight of the product,  etc. Some smokers make life and the final product easier, others require more human intervention. 

Again, I am a stick burner, and not familiar with all the problems on electrics , But like anything electric you only expect to get so much life out of it ?  Example, My wife doesn't like my Gas trimmer (too heavy) so I by a cheap B&D electric trimmer for her to use, I read a review where someone was going on and on about the quality and durability, I responded to that post saying I would give it 5 stars, What more would you expect from a $19.95 weed eater, I use it up throw it away and buy another one.   Even burners and heating elements on indoor stoves go out. And another thing is how well you maintain your smoker, like anything else. If you take care of it keep it out of the weather, and replace items as they go out, I don't know why an electric smoker wouldn't last 10 years ?

Gary

Last edited:
The MES may be cheap in price, but my Son started with a Cook Shack. It fell apart after 4 years, but that was because he didn't take care of it. The hinges rusted right off the door. However after watching him using that, I would have to say if I had a choice between my All SS MES 40 with glass door & remote control, for the same price as the CS my Son had I would have to go with the MES. Now I never tried a Smokin-it, but I do understand that it is a copy of the Cook Shack, but I guess it's a bit cheaper??

I've been staying off of this thread for months & months, because I figured MES owners had their threads, and Smokin-it owners had their thread.

Just about everything talked about on the MES threads are the good & bad things about the MES, but not bad things about the Smokin-it.

The only reason I even entered this thread was because lately it seems instead of talking about the good & bad about the Smokin-it, this thread has become a Hatchet station about the MES, which "Masterbuilt" is also a sponsor of this Forum.

Bear

i have a propane GSM a Kamado and a smokin-it#1  a weber gasser they all do what i expect them to do .. the quality is good from all the above each have  their own flavor i would like to learn to use a stick burner..  if i had the need to cook large amounts of meat .. but for now these will suffice .. my  family is growing 3 boys and 4 grandkids  .. so the stick burner is on the  RADAR!

Last edited:
You guys crack me up...... Not only do I learn a lot about smoking meat, It's also very entertaining! Knowledge plus humor plus good ole ribbing = bliss...... :yahoo: I think you all are GREAT with whatever you choose to smoke on..... And that is what makes this forum so good..... Something for everyone.

Santa brought me a SI #3 and so far I have done BBRs, turkey, twice smoked ham, couple of fatties and a pork loin...... And honestly..... I had better luck smoking with my Weber Genesis grill! But as it has been said here many times, it's about learning your smoker and the nuances of it. I'm not discouraged, but excited,,,,, to be learning something new at my age (60) is always a treat and that wouldn't be near as much fun without you guy's experience and conviction to smoking...... Excuse me a second while I put the soapbox back up.

Happy to be here and thanks for sharing.

So, how about them Masterbuilts? Only kidding. I had to check the thread a few times to see what this topic was all about. "SMOKIN-IT SMOKER"

What !!!  I thought we were talking about home-made RF's

Gary

Last edited:

Woaa, take it easy there Bear! ;)

You are taking a big leap to say that anyone recently on this thread is saying that the MES smokers "Suck".

As I stated above, you can put out some really good product in the MES smokers, and I have read enough threads in this forum to know that you are a pioneer in a lot of ways and really know your stuff. So, don't get your resulting product and extensive experience confused with the quality of the smoker that you are using.

The point is that they don't last. You are only 4 years into this. I will be surprised if you get anywhere close to 10 out of your MES40. That is all I am saying. I know there are some outliers out there that will claim that they have had their MES smoker for X umpteen years and I would believe them. That is expected with the sheer number of smokers that they sell. Like I said, they are a good value for the money. But "on average", I don't think there is much question that the quality verses the Smokin-It style smoker just isn't anywhere close.

We can agree to disagree on the quality of the MES smokers. But don't take my comments as disrespect to your product results or your smoking acumen. That was never the intention.
  I am willing to give you the benefit  of the doubt that you aren't trying to disrespect us, but then you say things like "if that's all you can afford" and crap like that how am I supposed to disregard that. I can afford any thing I damn well choose to afford and I like  my MES40. 

I don't intend to carry this any further. I have better ways to spend my time. Perhaps you should read over what you write before hitting "submit" and see if it sounds snarky to you. 

Chuck

I am willing to give you the benefit  of the doubt that you aren't trying to disrespect us, but then you say things like "if that's all you can afford" and crap like that how am I supposed to disregard that. I can afford any thing I damn well choose to afford and I like  my MES40. 

I don't intend to carry this any further. I have better ways to spend my time. Perhaps you should read over what you write before hitting "submit" and see if it sounds snarky to you. 

Chuck
OK, I was letting this go, but when I am misquoted, I'll have a short response.

The quote was:

"If that is all you can afford or want to spend..."

Want to spend being the key words in the quote.

That being said, looking back, I agree that some of my comments didn't come off the best and were a bit snarky, so I apologize again. I guess I am just passionate about the subject as are you about your MES's which is great. I'm just happy that there are so many people enjoying this hobby no matter what vessel they choose to smoke in. Based on my experience with two different models of MES smokers over the years, I still believe what I said, but should have probably kept it to myself or tried to write my comments better. So, again, please accept my apologies to anyone that was offended.

Back on subject again. Sorry for the detour.

OK, I was letting this go, but when I am misquoted, I'll have a short response.

The quote was:

"If that is all you can afford or want to spend..."

Want to spend being the key words in the quote.

That being said, looking back, I agree that some of my comments didn't come off the best and were a bit snarky, so I apologize again. I guess I am just passionate about the subject as are you about your MES's which is great. I'm just happy that there are so many people enjoying this hobby no matter what vessel they choose to smoke in. Based on my experience with two different models of MES smokers over the years, I still believe what I said, but should have probably kept it to myself or tried to write my comments better. So, again, please accept my apologies to anyone that was offended.

Back on subject again. Sorry for the detour.

I didn't read it in a bad or condescending way. Don't sweat it. Let's move on, Ladies.

Chuck
You mad bro?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky