SMOKIN-IT SMOKER

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
For all those that are debating between sizes I wanted to give you my opinion on SI #1 that's I've been using frequently over the last few months. Note  we use smoker to feed just 2 people.  So far only one occurrence when I wish I had a #2 instead.  I had a rack of ribs in, which in the #1 requires you cut the ribs in half.  I like to smoke with a pan under my meat so I don't have a mess to clean up. This means one rack of ribs takes up both racks in the smoker.  I wanted to do a tray of smoked nuts that day as well but didn't have the room.   I'm still happy with my decision and would buy the #1 again if I had a chance to do it over.   I like how light it is, which allows me to lift it up onto the table on my deck, I like that it's only 350 watts so it's cheap to use, and you can't beat the price compared to the #2 and #3.  I would also recommend none of the accessories.  The cord hanger is fine, but it's not worth the price after it bumps the shipping $6 or so.  I use a $7 air conditioner cover for it and it works very well.  I think for a 2 person household the #1 is just fine.  If you feed more than that or use it to entertain often, I'd definitely buy a larger unit. 
I have the same problem with my number 2, but at least when I cut the rack in half, I can put both halves on a single rack. 

Well I went ahead and ordered a #3 last week and it looks like it shipped today

I cant wait for next weekend to try it out

I think I will try a couple racks of spare ribs cut into St Louis style

Jason

2711 West Market Street, P.O. Box 13423 Fairlawn, OH 44333. Call, email or text any time to: 260-417-9951.

The address is toward the bottom of their websites FAQ.

yahoo.gif
Look what was waiting for me when I got home today
thumb1.gif

I probably will not get to use it until next week

My sons sports are getting in the way

Jason

Got my #3  a few days ago.  Seasoned it last night, smoking ribs now.  

Problem:  can't get temp over 200.  Thermometer works fine, not using extension cord, outlet works fine.  Bummed.  

Make sure the meat is not touching the internal temp probe. Also, if you are sure the thermometer you are using is accurate (tested in boiling water), notify Steve. 

Received my #2 today with a nice personal note from Steve. Can't believe how fast it was shipped and the packaging was 1st class. Screwed the wheels on and I'm good to go. A few more honey-dos and I'll be rockin' and smokin' in no time. Like others have said, it's built like a tank. Can't wait to break it in. 

Hey Steamaway,

How about a little more info on using the Jerky Dryer with a AMZNPS on SM2? Can you colds smoke with it? Any problems keeping it lit? 

I have a MB30 that was a  floor sample at Lowes  that I use for cold smoking with my AMZNPS (and get a good 11-12 hours out of it) and only use my SmokinIt for hot smoking. But the little lady would love it if I got rid of the MB and could do my cold smoking in the Smokin-It, too.

Do you think a computer fan in a can would work?

Burley,

I used a bilge fan over the exhaust of my #2 to make jerky. It was definitely pulling quite a bit of air thru the unit. I think a AMNPS would do well in there. Some one mentioned before about using a computer fan for jerky as well and said it worked well. I would assume it would work just as well for cold smoking.

Ordered the #2 on Sunday night. When I woke up on Monday morning I had shipping notification! Will be delivered tomorrow ! Guess what I am doing this weekend?

Ordered the #2 on Sunday night. When I woke up on Monday morning I had shipping notification! Will be delivered tomorrow ! Guess what I am doing this weekend?

Good morning everyone

This weekend is the big day

I'm going to smoke 6 racks of St Louis for Fathers day picked them up at costco last night

Going to try the 3-2-1 method

Going to use Jeff's rub

Two dowels of Steves wood should do or three?

My wife wants me to also throw some chicken on the bone in there (at what point should I put the chicken in)

Jason

Sounds like a feast, what temp are you smoking the ribs? 225*? what kind of, on the bone chicken are we talking, pre-cut pieces or full bird? a spatchcocked bird of about average size takes about 4 hours.

Make sure to plan ahead and put the ribs up top and leave room on the bottom for the chicken.

Sounds like a feast, what temp are you smoking the ribs? 225*? what kind of, on the bone chicken are we talking, pre-cut pieces or full bird? a spatchcocked bird of about average size takes about 4 hours.

Make sure to plan ahead and put the ribs up top and leave room on the bottom for the chicken.
I was planning on using the three upper racks for the ribs and the fourth for the chicken

Between 225 and 250 for the temp

Chicken pieces wings,legs and breast

How about the wood dowels should I use two or three?

Thanks

Jason

I'd say start with 2 of the dowels...you can always add another if needed when foiling or adding the chicken and these units don't burn a lot of wood IMO. Try to get a drip pan under that chicken to contain the seepage of fat...make your life easier come clean-up. We'd love to see the results of your smoke and input on how it went for you....might be best to start a new thread when you do...this one's getting pretty long and sometimes ignored....Willie, happy #3 user

PS.....watch those ribs, you may not need the whole 3-2-1. I love the Costco ribs, decent price and meaty compared to others out there...good choice. Enjoy your Fathers Day...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky