Smokin' a Turkey and chicken this afternoon w/ comparison of lump and Kingsford briquettes w/ Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rp ribking

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 29, 2009
Northern, Indiana
Well, I wanted a quick Turkey, beer butt chicken smoke, bird was 15lb's and chicks were 4lbs each. All I had on hand were briquettes, not lump. I am not very happy since I can not get the same heat like I can with lump and a shorter time, I was thinkin' 3-4 hours and now I am going on 6 hours (hungry). Butt for a slow and low meat I may stay w/Kingsford? Used apple chunks for the bird's. 

Brined the turkey over night in Tip's brine, no other spice on turkey. Did Montreal chicken spice and McCormick's herb seasoning's on the Beer butt chicken.      
d1aa71ff_000_0417.jpg
2939b72a_000_0418.jpg
9d525b5d_000_0419.jpg

Looking good so far!

Yeah... for short hot burns lump is definately the way to go, and yes the Kingsford Blue Bag does really well on long, low, slow burns in the WSM. If you want to save a little $$ on your short burns you can mix lum and Kingsford 50/50, still burns hot but you use less lump which generally costs more per. lb.

I don't have any problem getting to 300 with the Blue bag in my WSM, but I have never smoked anything when the air temp is below 50 degrees.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky