Smokies

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
These look great! Maybe you can help with a process question. Can I assume encapsulated citric acid will work in place of the buttermilk? I've tried buttermilk and fermento in the past with summer sausage and it just doesn't give the same tang I'm used to. I"m a little surprised there's no worchestershire in these. I always thought Slim Jim's used a liberal amount of that.....

Also, do you mix the batch up and let it go in the fridge overnight or for a couple days prior to stuffing? As far as smoking, another assumption is to use the same 120 degrees for an hour, then start the chips and bring up the temp to 170ish over time until an IT of 155 degrees? 

Thanks and can't wait to give these a try!

These look great! Maybe you can help with a process question. Can I assume encapsulated citric acid will work in place of the buttermilk? I've tried buttermilk and fermento in the past with summer sausage and it just doesn't give the same tang I'm used to. I"m a little surprised there's no worchestershire in these. I always thought Slim Jim's used a liberal amount of that.....

Also, do you mix the batch up and let it go in the fridge overnight or for a couple days prior to stuffing? As far as smoking, another assumption is to use the same 120 degrees for an hour, then start the chips and bring up the temp to 170ish over time until an IT of 155 degrees? 

Thanks and can't wait to give these a try!
Yup the ECA will work in place of buttermilk or fermento & it should give you the tang you're after 
thumb1.gif
 You can put the mix in the fridge for awhile but you don't need to with the ECA. Just make sure you don't add it till right before putting the mix in your stuffer - you don't want the acid coming out till the coating melts off!

The 120 for an hour with no smoke is to make sure the casings are dry - dry casings take smoke MUCH better. I always ramp my sticks up slowly - they come out much better for me that way.

Good luck with your sticks! 
2thumbs.gif

Reactions: joshpiper
Thanks. I'll try the ECA and see how it works. I got the casings today and as soon as I get back from a trip next week, will give these a shot. I'll definitely do a Qview and let ya know how it works out.

One other question as I have never used collagen casings. Do you soak them prior to stuffing like you do the fibrous casings for summer sausage? Also, making sticks like this, do you stuff in one long piece, or do you stop and twist or tie at certain lengths? Thanks.

One other question as I have never used collagen casings. Do you soak them prior to stuffing like you do the fibrous casings for summer sausage? Also, making sticks like this, do you stuff in one long piece, or do you stop and twist or tie at certain lengths? Thanks.
No, you do not soak collagen. You can pinch the casings at the desired length and keep stuffing. The go back and tie off if need be.

Collagen casings don't twist well, better off tying if you have to.

Thanks Sam. After thinking about it, I came to the conclusion that as they are edible, they shouldn't be soaked. I did have some learning to do stuffing them. I just posted a QView on my experience in the sausage forum, titled "first-batch-of-slim-jim-style-beef-sticks". I think they turned out quite well for my first try. Appreciate you reply.

Jeff

Like 1000x better than store bought and without the squeezy fat like a store bought.

00f05b9c_DSC00051.jpg
I love this picture.  I just read through the intire thread and everytime I saw this picture I knew I had to trt this.  If you wouldn't mind, I have 2 questions That I would really appreciate your opinion on.

First, for you think I could making these without casings using a jerky gun?  Perhaps, even dehydrate a little to firm them up then finish in the smoker?

Second, if you vacumm pack them, how long do you think they last in the freezer?  They look so good I would guess they don't last long enough to get to the freezer.

What do you think.

They are absolutely beautiful.  I want to make them right now.  I will have to settle on ordering all of the supplies for now.

nepas  

I know this is an old thread but still will ask a question. You only went by time and visual to cook these? Not internal temp. of sticks. I pull my sticks when they hit 145 to 150 degrees internal temp. And yes not as dried looking and the casings on mine are real chewy. I not crazy about that. I use ECA in the meat great tangy flavor.

But great job on yours.

nepas  

I know this is an old thread but still will ask a question. You only went by time and visual to cook these? Not internal temp. of sticks. I pull my sticks when they hit 145 to 150 degrees internal temp. And yes not as dried looking and the casings on mine are real chewy. I not crazy about that. I use ECA in the meat great tangy flavor.

But great job on yours.
Yeah old thread.

Been doing this long time and i can squeeze to tell if they are close which at that time i use a thermapen to double check. When i get a 149-150 from the pen i pull hang or rack as they will IT to 152/53 on their own. ECA is good if you want the tang but these days i find some folks dont like the tang in smoked sausage. Now dry cure salami is diff, need the tang

I cant even remember that far back....Ha
When u become "NTXsmkr1" I'm going to hire you to supply me with sticks, sausage, and charcutere cause I can never get around to making enough hahahhaa. :D

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky