Smokies

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Todd

Yeah they have a decent tang like a store bought jimmy. This recipe i have done now 6 times. Maybe next time i will add 1Tbs ECA and see what it does.

I'm thinking sassafras pellets next time
sausage.gif

I use encapsulated citric acid and it actually does a fairly good job of adding tang. I also use ECA in my summer sausage as well. I have used cultured powder buttermilk in the past and it just isn't the same. I don't think I have tried cultured buttermilk in liquid form though.

Last edited:
I use encapsulated citric acid and it actually does a fairly good job of adding tang. I also use ECA in my summer sausage as well. I haven used cultured powder buttermilk in the past and it just isn't the same. I don't think I have tried cultured buttermilk in liquid form though.

Yeah i go through ECA like crazy.  The bacotferms only when doing lebanon bologna and dry cured.

Going to add the 1 Tbs of ECA along with the BM next time.

I  hate store bought slim jims. I will have to try your recipe...as soon as I have finished the batch I made last month...

Wow that's some nice looking stix.

I see all this stuff that I gotta try and wonder if i'll ever find the time!

You guys rock!

Hey Nepas, looks great!  Can I ask you what the purpose of the dextrose is?  

Dextrose aids in fermentation and gives a tang to the meat. Heavier than cane and helps mix better. If you use a brine and its to salty you can add dextrose to counteract the salt.

I love the look of these ones!!!!  I bet they taste incredible!  How long and what temp you smoke those at to get them looking like that? 
BB

Started them low with amsnps then took through the temps with pid 140* to 170 Total time was around 9 hours

Ya, picture this ST, in a few months. Nepas' new neighbors during they're evening prayers. "and Lord, thank you so very, very, very much for sending Brother Rick to us. Your bountiful and devine blessings are just freekin' awesume."

ShortEnd

I had to bump this one!

I really want to try these out but was wondering how you smoke them to get them looking like yours?  I have done lots of sticks but I have never got the shriveled look that these ones have.  How do you get them looking so good??  Is it the casings?  What do you use? 

edit: just noticed you replied to a previous post..............

Last edited:
I am with blue bombersfan, how long did you apply smoke, did you apply the smoke first and then the heat. I have done sticks before but mine never turned out like that.

This was done on my MAK which was an old Bradley mounted to the side smoke box. I cant really say how much actual smoke time because the MAK is a pellet pooper and its always throwing smoke.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky