Smokey Salsa

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DrewJ

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 17, 2017
Minneapolis, MN
I saw some guys on Facebook making smoked salsa and it looked dead simple to make and pretty tasty looking as well. I gave it a try last weekend. Here are the pics.

Roma tomatoes, onion, garlic, green pepper and 1 jalapeno (I'd do more but the wife doesn't like spicy). The onion is for another experiment I will post in a separate thread if it turns out.
GEDC0031.JPG
GEDC0034.JPG

After smoking for 3ish hours on cherry pellets loaded into my AMPS tray.
20180603_190748.jpg

After adding a bunch of cilantro and the juice of two limes (could have used a bit more lime but I only bought 2) and a run through the food processor here it is:
20180604_165556.jpg

It is really tasty. For future batches I'll make sure to have more lime and maybe a 2nd jalapeno since this batch has almost no heat. I'd describe it like a fire roasted salsa but the smoking I think give it a little more flavor that just fire roasting the tomatoes would do.

That looks real good Drew. I'm sure gonna try this out this summer.
By the look of the peppers you hot smoked the veggies. At what temp??
POINT
Gary

Sorry. I left out that detail. Hot smoked at 225 for about 3 hours in my MES 30 with the AMPS loaded with cherry pellets. I wasn't really watching the clock just looking for the right amount of doneness to the veggies.

I would have never considered making my own salsa let alone smoked salsa but this is an inspiring thread. I would like to do a Mexican style fattie and this kind of salsa seems like the perfect marriage for that fattie. I may just give this a go. Thanks.

George

I did not add any sugar myself and thought it was fine. If you like a little sweeter salsa I don't think it would be a bad idea.

Made a batch last night with some garden fresh tomatoes and it is amazing. It's amazing the difference between store bought and fresh even after hot smoking and blending. No pics this time as I was wrangling two toddlers while making and smoking it.

Bringing it back from the dead but I am doing my third and likely final batch now of the year of this style. This time around I added 6 Jalapenos as opposed to 3, but only half the jalapeno pieces were deveinen/deseeded and I added in a few ounces of honey and a few ounces of all natural rasberry preserves. Along with chipotle powder and garlic powder. I'll see if it's to sweet or not after it smokes for about 5 hours..over Mesquite, because I am crazy.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky