Smokey Joe 14in Kettle

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JLeonard

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Apr 17, 2020
Southaven, MS
So has any one used one of these to smoke on? I see academy has them pretty cheap. I was thinking about it to try to learn a little charcoal cooking.
Jim

So has any one used one of these to smoke on? I see academy has them pretty cheap. I was thinking about it to try to learn a little charcoal cooking.
Jim

They're kinda of small, but work well for burgers, dogs and steaks. If you check craigslist you can probably find an 18 or 22" for about the same price(if not cheaper).

Chris

Reactions: JLeonard
Had to go back and look at that thread , because I still have not used it . Was almost 2 years ago .
Don't get me wrong , I'm happy to have it . I just have other options .
Anyway I saw the other day while watching Triple D , a guy was using one to smoke . Had the legs taken off , and set it on top of a charcoal chimney with a small fire and wood chunks in it .
Not suggesting you do that , just thought it was interesting ( and dangerous )
I agree with above , Craig's list or end of season . Try to find a display model at lowes or Depot .

It's what we've taken on the road when fish-camping for years. Never tried smoking on it, but it'll grill chicken, burgers, steaks, and fish. The camper has a oven and propane stove, that's always been enough for a week or two. RAY

I use about 12-16 briquettes ashed over (almost) off to one side... throw a chunk of your fav. wood on it... cook away...

Now I'll use a 1/2 - 3/4 chimney full... screaming hot for steaks.. I like em chard ...

My brother has one and I don't like using it because of poor air flow, keeping the lid cracked helped with airflow. I do have the Traveling Joe where the air holes are on the side of the drum below the lid for the past 30+ years, airflow is much better. This one. https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/portable-grills/smokey-joe-series/40020.html
If I were to get another mini-Weber, I'd get this one as I like the little bigger space, lots more air vents. Good Luck

I just wish Weber went back to the wooden handles as the plastic ones will burn you!

I actually smoke pork chops on mine by using the snake method and doing a foil heat barrier. Done it several times and they turned out great!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky