• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Smokey Joe 14in Kettle

JLeonard

Master of the Pit
Joined Apr 17, 2020
So has any one used one of these to smoke on? I see academy has them pretty cheap. I was thinking about it to try to learn a little charcoal cooking.
Jim

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Sep 15, 2012
So has any one used one of these to smoke on? I see academy has them pretty cheap. I was thinking about it to try to learn a little charcoal cooking.
Jim
They're kinda of small, but work well for burgers, dogs and steaks. If you check craigslist you can probably find an 18 or 22" for about the same price(if not cheaper).

Chris

Brian Trommater

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 1, 2018
I have one but been a while since used it. Mine never got enough air flow. As long as I skewed the lid where more air could get in it worked fine.

JckDanls 07

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 10, 2011
As said above... good for small stuff... I use mine frequently... But I also made mine into a mini WSM (weber smokey mountain)... I will say that I use it more for a grill/indirect cooking (as your planning on) than I do as an actual smoker ...

chopsaw

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
Had to go back and look at that thread , because I still have not used it . Was almost 2 years ago .
Don't get me wrong , I'm happy to have it . I just have other options .
Anyway I saw the other day while watching Triple D , a guy was using one to smoke . Had the legs taken off , and set it on top of a charcoal chimney with a small fire and wood chunks in it .
Not suggesting you do that , just thought it was interesting ( and dangerous )
I agree with above , Craig's list or end of season . Try to find a display model at lowes or Depot .

sawhorseray

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 17, 2014
It's what we've taken on the road when fish-camping for years. Never tried smoking on it, but it'll grill chicken, burgers, steaks, and fish. The camper has a oven and propane stove, that's always been enough for a week or two. RAY

HalfSmoked

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
Yup as a couple of the gang has said great for small cooks. We bought ours for the camper as well.

Warren

JckDanls 07

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 10, 2011
I use about 12-16 briquettes ashed over (almost) off to one side... throw a chunk of your fav. wood on it... cook away...

Now I'll use a 1/2 - 3/4 chimney full... screaming hot for steaks.. I like em chard ...

HalfSmoked

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
Thanks for the like JLeonard it is appreciated.

Warren

pc farmer

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 17, 2013
I have one I made into a mini wsm. Love it for camping.

smokinstubbs

Fire Starter
Joined Jul 4, 2008
My brother has one and I don't like using it because of poor air flow, keeping the lid cracked helped with airflow. I do have the Traveling Joe where the air holes are on the side of the drum below the lid for the past 30+ years, airflow is much better. This one. https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/portable-grills/smokey-joe-series/40020.html
If I were to get another mini-Weber, I'd get this one as I like the little bigger space, lots more air vents. Good Luck

I just wish Weber went back to the wooden handles as the plastic ones will burn you!

Latest posts

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.