Smoker Stand

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokinbarrles

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 15, 2019
Texas Gulf Coast
hi all,

Starting this thread to get inspired to build one myself. Just thought id ask and hopefully get some good ideas i didnt think of. Im pretty handy when it comes to building and fabricating.
Post what ya got!!

I guess my first question is how much meat are you trying to smoke? How big a unit are you thinking about?

I went cheap and easy. 20181230_082211.jpg

Added flip up shelf in front to hold rack since pic taken.

Reactions: JC in GB
I think the one I liked the most was a converted Porcelain Steel refrigerator.
But I've spent my life with one sort or another of an electric smoker. Just easiest to control.
When I began smoking bacon, I realized the need for more hanging room.
God Provides, and someone near me had a defunct MES 40 to give away. My Inkbird PID has a new home and purpose, running the "40".
These MES smokers are the first I ever had (Besides the fridge) that are insulated.
I'm more of a cold/warm smoker than an outdoor oven that can smoke guy. So my wants are toward that end.
After my first smoke with a new MES 30, I began building it into the smoker I wanted. In retrospect, I could have gotten an analog electric, and built on a PID and been happy. But I went one step up and have a good all around smoker for my methods.
Then the MES 40 fell in my lap. Perfect! Has the size and height to hang slabs of bacon inside it.
If you want an insulated box to work with, that has heating built into it, for a low price, then the MES series is a good start.
I was turning away from a long time with a Bradley Smoke generator. They priced themselves off my market, and had to be ordered (No local source).
So I eventually gravitated to an AMNPS, Pellet fuel (Available everywhere around me), and highly modified MES smokers.
After 50 years of DIY and casual smoking, I'm capable now of a variety of smoking options.
To me, it was better than building my own.

Last edited:
I was lucky enough to grab an old cart used for transparency projectors in the school I work at. Fits the MES 30 perfectly, was free, and I saved from the landfill. The wheels are nice too.
20190113_144630.jpg

Made this one out of an old char griller off set . Works great for me . I just took the hight I wanted the controller at and subtracted down to get the table height .
mes3.jpg

I think the one I liked the most was a converted Porcelain Steel refrigerator.
But I've spent my life with one sort or another of an electric smoker. Just easiest to control.
When I began smoking bacon, I realized the need for more hanging room.
God Provides, and someone near me had a defunct MES 40 to give away. My Inkbird PID has a new home and purpose, running the "40".
These MES smokers are the first I ever had (Besides the fridge) that are insulated.
I'm more of a cold/warm smoker than an outdoor oven that can smoke guy. So my wants are toward that end.
After my first smoke with a new MES 30, I began building it into the smoker I wanted. In retrospect, I could have gotten an analog electric, and built on a PID and been happy. But I went one step up and have a good all around smoker for my methods.
Then the MES 40 fell in my lap. Perfect! Has the size and height to hang slabs of bacon inside it.
If you want an insulated box to work with, that has heating built into it, for a low price, then the MES series is a good start.
I was turning away from a long time with a Bradley Smoke generator. They priced themselves off my market, and had to be ordered (No local source).
So I eventually gravitated to an AMNPS, Pellet fuel (Available everywhere around me), and highly modified MES smokers.
After 50 years of DIY and casual smoking, I'm capable now of a variety of smoking options.
To me, it was better than building my own.

sonnyE,

i have the smoker already. unmodified at the moment..its pretty new. so far im loving it. been reading all about them on here and may do some mods down the road. the size of the 40 is nice i was able to hang sausage in mine.

my first mod will be to lift it off the ground a bit if that counts haha.

I was lucky enough to grab an old cart used for transparency projectors in the school I work at. Fits the MES 30 perfectly, was free, and I saved from the landfill. The wheels are nice too.
View attachment 386835

definitely plan to have wheels on mine. the max height a can go with and read the display is 24 inches. those carts are not cheap on amazon, nice find.

I built two for myself and daughter's MES 30's. Needed wheels so I can put it away when done. Also has eye bolts so it could be strapped down.
smoker with cover.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky