Smoker seasoning

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

denlew

Original poster
Jul 7, 2017
New Jersey
Hey all I am going to season my smoker today and I read somewhere that after getting all the inside surface's coated with cooking oil that you should also spray the outer surface of the smoker with a light spray of WD-40 ? Has anyone ever heard of or done this and is it a good idea to do?

i try to stay away from petroleum  distillates and food... also wd-40 can remove paint. 

i think i understand the idea, but i would just touch up the VHT paint you have on the outside as needed personally.

I just use the same cooking oil on the outside. It will just penetrate the steel and give you a good rust preventative.

i try to stay away from petroleum  distillates and food... also wd-40 can remove paint. 

i think i understand the idea, but i would just touch up the VHT paint you have on the outside as needed personally.
I was thinking the same thanks for reassuring what I was thinking!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky