Smoker Potatoes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
You know I love smoked meat if. However, there is a drawback to smoked meat. It is hard to do a side dish at low and slow temperatures.

This recipe is a very easy way to make some potatoes while you’re doing a low and slow cook. It is embaressingly easy but tasty. Just take a roasting pan or pie plate and generously butter the bottom with butter.

Cube potatoes and put them in the pan. Sprinkle the cubes with your favourite seasoning blend (I used my homemade Cajun seasoning for this batch).

Put foil over the pan and put in a 230 to 250 F (110 to 115 C) smoker for 2 hours. I made these with my Traeger Timberline while cooking ribs and rib tips.

Smoker Potatoes 1.jpg

Remove the foil and grate your favourite cheese over the top (I used a nice Emmenthal) and then sprinkle chopped green onions over the top. Smoke for 15 minutes longer to melt the cheese.

Smoker Potatoes 2.jpg

Serve with your smoked creation!

Smoker Potatoes 3.jpg

Smoker Potatoes 4.jpg

The Verdict

These are soft and creamy with a cheesy hit that makes them great. If you are looking for an easy side dish with your next smoked meal, try these!

Disco

Looks good, leave the lid off of them the next time then make potato salad, I like to have it when we don't have other smoked foods as the lite smoke can be lost by other heavy smoked meats.

Reactions: Kevinbthgrouse
I am sure to try that. I love potatoes with BBQ. Thanks disco disco

That recipe is screaming for some Yukon Golds.... Can't wait....

JC :emoji_cat:

That looks good, will have to try. I usually do whole russets with my turkey breasts. The potatoes get done about the same time as the breasts do.

That looks awfully good Disco. Toss some small cubes of ham or corned beef in there and you could change that side into a main course.

Point for sure
Chris

I can't remember where I got the recipe from but we love to do a grilled potato salad. Potatoes are prepped pretty much this way.

Looks good, leave the lid off of them the next time then make potato salad, I like to have it when we don't have other smoked foods as the lite smoke can be lost by other heavy smoked meats.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Who needs a main dish with a side dish like that. Great idea Disco.

Warren

Thanks, Warren. They are so easy it is almost embarassing.

I am sure to try that. I love potatoes with BBQ. Thanks disco disco

That recipe is screaming for some Yukon Golds.... Can't wait....

JC :emoji_cat:

Har! I prefer Warba potatoes on the Q but Yukon Gold are definitely tasty!

Looks Great Disco!!
I love my Roasted Reds, when I can get Taters.
Like.

Bear

Thanks, Bear! My wife's favourite potato is a red, Norland!

That looks good, will have to try. I usually do whole russets with my turkey breasts. The potatoes get done about the same time as the breasts do.

Truth! Whole baked potatoes cook great in the smoker.

That looks awfully good Disco. Toss some small cubes of ham or corned beef in there and you could change that side into a main course.

Point for sure
Chris

I have added bacon chunks with great success but corned beef? Sounds brilliant.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky