Smoker help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

meatstick

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 10, 2014
i have a propane smoker that I have used for a few years with no issues. Now I try to use it and I cannot get the temp pass 145. I took the burner off and all the fittings. Clean them all and still can't get it any higher. The flame is very low even when I put it on high. Would a regulator solve this issue or do I have to bite the bullet and buy a new one? Thanks all.

I've had this happen on my grill and on my smokehouse. Shutting down/lighting them incorrectly. Shut down the smoker by first turning off the knob for the burner, then shut off the propane. Likewise, turn on the propane first, then turn on the knob on the unit.

I've had this happen on my grill and on my smokehouse. Shutting down/lighting them incorrectly. Shut down the smoker by first turning off the knob for the burner, then shut off the propane. Likewise, turn on the propane first, then turn on the knob on the unit.
pops, I normally follow this procedure and still nothing. After reading through some other post I might need to add a needle valve. Which is weird since I have used this for years with no need for one.

Reactions: Flyphishcruiser
I wonder if you have some spider web's in the gas line. Happened to me one year when I used a gas grill. Also if your on the east coast it could be the cold weather.

Chris

Sounds like the safety valve in the regulator is bad or needs to be re-set.
Al
Al, I saw in one of your post that you use one that is a high pressure 0-30 psi. Do you still have this and recommend making this mod? I just need to figure out what connections I would need.

Would this be safe/ideal to use? It looks like it might connect to it without any extra fittings.

Attachments

• IMG_5499.JPG
    IMG_5499.JPG
    148.4 KB · Views: 47
Yes it will connect without any extra fittings. It is not as easy to adjust as a regular needle valve, but it sounds like you need a regulator anyway, so this would be a good option. I bought mine at Home Depot.
Al

It looks like this one is a better option as it has a needle valve.

Attachments

• IMG_5500.JPG
    IMG_5500.JPG
    146.2 KB · Views: 44
It looks like this one is a better option as it has a needle valve.

I too had a spider web inside my Weber BBQ gas orifice. This wasn't a nice open web, but one of those really dense things that almost looks like Styrofoam. It was actually tough to remove, but once I got if cleaned off, the BBQ temp went up by 100 degrees.

You could buy the 0~10psi adjustable regulator and hose, then install a needle valve with a pressure gauge between the needle valve and the regulator. you could dial in the pressure from the tank to the needle valve and use the needle valve to adjust the flow. You will get a very fine adjustable flame and it will be repeatable because of the gauge. If you need more BTU's, just open the regulator valve and watch the gauge.....

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help guys. I purchased the one I listed above from Home Depot. They didn't have it in stock so it will not be here until next week. Once I get it put on I will post an update how things are going.

Check for spider webs happens all the time down here

Gary

Update. I bought a new regulator and with a few extra fittings it worked. However, propane was leaking. The new line does not have a orifice on it would this matter? I was thinking maybe to much propane was forcing its way through. I attached a picture of the fixture it was leaking from. Right where the black piece meets the copper piece. The other picture is the line without the orifice. Thanks all

Attachments

• IMG_5541.JPG
    IMG_5541.JPG
    130.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_5543.JPG
    IMG_5543.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
It wasn't leaking from the new fittings but from an original part.

Update.... I purchase a new regulator from the manufacture. There seemed to be a lot of uncertainties with an aftermark regulator and didn't want to take a chance. Smoker is working just like it did before. Thanks for all the info

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky