Smoker, Grill and Warmer Box Trailer Build (Pictures-A-Plenty)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
post #17  of 20

7 hours, 24 minutes ago

• 80x80px-LS-3caaead9_IMG_9135.jpg
  • 442 Posts. Joined 7/2012

I like your ideas.  Can't wait to see how it goes together.  I curious if the trailer is heavy enough  to carry the weight.   Looks to be a boat trailer.  There generally not built very heavy. 

I'm thinking of having a  custom smoker built.   I like what your doing here.

I'm in!  
110.gif

beercheer.gif

Hope everyone has a "Smoking" day!!   

Two sons in the USMC.  Simper Fi                                              

Look me up on Facebook:   http://www.facebook.com/SmokingGoodFood

40x40px-ZC-547e9083_IMG_0158.jpg

Winter finally got here
(2 photos)

@ Wes W. I understand your concerns but it is lack on my part because I didn't explain in any detail my plans for the build. The boat trailer you see is only a starting point for this build. I am cutting it and making it 2ft wider and extending the usable length from 8 ft to 17ft.I am removing the old axle and replacing it with a tandem axle setup. Which is going to have either 14 or 15 inch tires with the widest profile for the rim. I am also getting 3,800lb test leaf springs and three 1,500lb - 2,000lb jack stands that will act as a support system on uneven terrain, such as sand. I am going to change channel tubing in the areas that are rusted and add additional supports members throughout the frame. 

post #19  of 20

1 hour, 3 minutes ago

• 80x80px-LS-39b6d723_avatar-130-12.jpg
  • 93 Posts. Joined 1/2013

I am not sure how efficient it will be trying to heat a 250 gallon smoker with a 60 gallon firebox. I think that is a little small for the firebox. The recomendations I have seen call for at least 1/3 the size of the cook chamber for the firebox. Just my thoughts. I'll be watching the progress.

Here is a calculator that might help.

http://www.feldoncentral.com/bbqcalculator.html

@ rasimmo thanks I was a little concerned about that but I was also concerned about the weight at the back of the trailer. So I am going to insulate the fire box and smoker with some thermal shielding that I will getting from one of my contracts to dismantle a massive generator at a power plant here in The Bahamas. The good thing is that it is free and traps heat extremely well plus to buy this on the open market is around $40 a square inch, based on nature of the material. 

I am not sure how efficient it will be trying to heat a 250 gallon smoker with a 60 gallon firebox. I think that is a little small for the firebox. The recomendations I have seen call for at least 1/3 the size of the cook chamber for the firebox. Just my thoughts. I'll be watching the progress.

Here is a calculator that might help.

http://www.feldoncentral.com/bbqcalculator.html
This site was very useful, thanks. Do you know of a site that I can go to, to calculate the size of the inlet hole for the firebox connecting to the smoker? I am also implementing a reverse flow style smoker. Any other tips or pointers will be very much appreciated. 

Thanks Paul

grilling_smilie.gif

This site was very useful, thanks. Do you know of a site that I can go to, to calculate the size of the inlet hole for the firebox connecting to the smoker? I am also implementing a reverse flow style smoker. Any other tips or pointers will be very much appreciated. 

Thanks Paul

grilling_smilie.gif
The dimension for FB to CC is on that page, down at the bottom. It shows half moon, circle, and then area. I just went by the area it suggested. You can use this http://www.1728.org/circsect.htm  to figure out the area of a segment of the tank circle. Click on "Radius & Segment Height ED" then put in your numbers. It will give you the segment area in the list of calculations. Just change the segment height to get the correct area for the opening.

BIG CORRECTION GUYS!!!!  

Apparently I made a mistake based on the information that I got that was incorrect, from one of the guys that works for one of the propane companies that I got my tanks from. Apparently my firebox tank is a 120 gallon propane tank and my grill and warmer box tanks are 100 gallon propane tanks. I was informed by a propane truck driver, who owns one of the company's I got my tanks from. He is a family friend so he passes by from time to time at the auto shop to have work done on his trucks. He also came to deliver fuel to my buddy's shop. He said I was misinformed about the specifications on the tanks. Being greatful and a bit curious and confused I decided to look it up online and check the sizes and compare the pictures and what do you know, he was right.So now I have no issues with my fire box.

yahoo.gif

Thanks Rasimmo wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't pointed that out.

Paul 
grilling_smilie.gif

Ok here are some more updates for you guys! This is the work done in the past couple days!

The Team and I cutting up an Australian Pine tree to fire up the big tank and the other small tanks. 

Now for some fun stuff

250 gallon smoker lined up and ready for a new hair cut (lol)

Top cuts done now it is time to roll it on the side and cut the bottom

Done

Place all the doors in the big tank

Now time for the heat

1 AM in The Morning!

The next day around 5pm turned the tanks over to empty the contents and to protect the inside from the rain. 

Painted pealed = good sign

@brdprey no the middle support didn't warp at I was a bit concerned about that when I fired them up but it proved that it wasn't a problem at all. Also that is just a portion of the beauty of The Bahamas!

Hey Gardi how about filling out your profile for us and join the SMF family. We are a nice bunch around here....Thanks

HIP HIP HOORAY IT'S, HIP HIP HOORAY IT'S, HIP HIP HOORAY IT'S TRAILER CUTTING DAY!

This is only step one in the trailer cutting process. We used the small grinder today to do some prep work for another day. In the next step we will be cutting the frame, welding extensions, support structures, and straightening the frame.

Made some progress today on the trailer. I bought some cinder blocks and some more grinding blades and this is the result. hope you enjoy. Wont have any more updates until next week! So keep an eye out.  

Before I started the cutting laid the blocks out. 

Four blades 

This is the result

Paul

grilling_smilie.gif

to make the blades last longer just keep working back and forth across the face of what your cutting... don't sink the blade all the way threw and then try to cut along the line.. the edge of the steel wears the blade out twice as fast... hope this makes since

Thanks, that is our usual method that we imply when we are using the grinders but because of the tight locations that we had to cut, we had to cut as best as possible. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky