Towable Grill Build. Your Thoughts?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

CarCrazy

Original poster
May 31, 2023
Ozarks
I know this is a smokin' forum, but we grill too. So please don't stone me on my first post......

I'm wanting to build a towable grill later this year for church functions. I've been looking at the various options from lpg tanks to dual 55g drums.

I have come up with an idea that is unique while mixing in my car hobby.

I'm wondering if using an aluminum treadplate truck tool box is workable. Good used ones are cheap, and their light enough to be lifted by hand, so I wouldn't have to have a dedicated trailer. I would make a removable basket for charcoal from either expanded steel or plate steel (which would be best?) with a steel grate cooking surface. So neither the coals nor the food would be on the aluminum. Lid would remain open during grilling. Holes on either end to allow air in, if need be. Easily cleaned, no rusting.

I know there are commercially available aluminum gas grills.

So my first post is asking the question, would this work? I do not know if it is a different type of aluminum than that that is used in commercially available grills. Pros or cons? Good idea or worst thing ever?

Thank you

Reactions: JLeonard
Sounds like a good idea to me. And even better if you pull the trailer behind that beast in your avatar.

Last edited:
Pros or Cons?

If I was building this;
Con - No TIG welder.
Pro - It would give me a reason to try my hand at brazing aluminum.

You could, of course, just use mechanical fasteners;
Con - More planning to make sure you have the all needed hardware
Pro - If you need to get something from the local hardware store, you have a reason to hop in the Chevelle and go for a ride

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky