Smoker Fried Chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 4, 2012
Bend Oregon
One of my favorite meals is oven fried chicken. The store had thighs on sale so I picked up  batch and decided to put a twist on the recipe and do them in the GOSM. Gotta burn up that old, cheap propane so I can go buy some of that $5/gallon stuff!

Basic Recipe is as follows:

(this is enough for 4 thighs)

Preheat oven or smoker to 425°

1/4 cup flour

Salt, pepper, garlic powder, chipotle or paprika ( I don't measure )

Mix this together in a zip lock or paper bag. Put two to three pieces of chicken in bag and shake.

In a cast iron pan or other shallow pan melt 1/4 cup of butter (you can use olive oil, peanut oil, or shortening instead). Place chicken skin side down. Place pan in oven and cook for 45 minutes. Flip chicken and cook for another 15 minutes.

Sorry no smoker shots, been dumping rain non-stop for the last three days and the camera doesn't like getting wet!

As mentioned used the GOSM, 425°, cherry smoke provided by the 12" AMNTS in the mailbox.

ENJOY!!!!

Hey , DS . That looks marvelous , wish we could see the Smoker shots , but they look yummy anyhow
drool.gif

Here's hoping you have a Happy Valentines Day , have fun and as always . . .

Nice looking Case. I have a stupid question, I know what asparagus is, whats the other stuff? Clear lentils? White caviar? Doesn't quite look like barley or rice.

Most excellent looking chicken. Hard to go wrong with yard birds for any meal, but a dang nice meal for Valentines.

Man here in Texas and looking for your address !
That's some Bigg Boss looking Byrd !

Hey , DS . That looks marvelous , wish we could see the Smoker shots , but they look yummy anyhow :drool

Here's hoping you have a Happy Valentines Day , have fun and as always . . .

Thanks Alesia! I'll be making this again for sure, so hopefully smoker pics next time!

Good looking chicken! I hear you about the propane. I've been using the Weber lately.

Thanks! Yeah I would've used the Mini but the handle from the cast iron makes that pan not fit. I do have a non handled one that will but it's in storage in the camper.

Nice looking Case. I have a stupid question, I know what asparagus is, whats the other stuff? Clear lentils? White caviar? Doesn't quite look like barley or rice.

Most excellent looking chicken. Hard to go wrong with yard birds for any meal, but a dang nice meal for Valentines.

Thanks Foam! That there stuff is quinoa!

Hey ds, leaving home now and following that scent to your house... I'll bring the beer.. :cheers: Nice job Thumbs Up. Justin

Okay, Case, here's the deal. It is valentine's day so I will trade a box of chocolates for a serving of that chicken. It looks great.

Disco

Hey ds, leaving home now and following that scent to your house... I'll bring the beer.. :cheers: Nice job Thumbs Up. Justin

Not a bite left! I wanted to take leftovers for lunch and found that my oldest packed the last thigh for his lunch!!! The youngest was complaining he didn't get any for his lunch. Guess I'll have to make more next time!

Okay, Case, here's the deal. It is valentine's day so I will trade a box of chocolates for a serving of that chicken. It looks great.

Disco

Thank you Disco! My mom used to make this all the time when I was a kid. Simple easy comfort food!

To be honest I would've liked to make gravy out of the dripping and had mashed taters, but my better half is keeping my fattening smoking habits in check!!! So quinoa and asparagus.

Last edited:
I have smoke chicken until the IT gets to 145 then drop in deep fryer for "smoke fried chicken". Going to have to try it this way!!
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

I have smoke chicken until the IT gets to 145 then drop in deep fryer for "smoke fried chicken". Going to have to try it this way!! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

This works great. If I hadn't been lazy I could've fired up the UDS instead of the GOSM!! Didn't even think about that until I saw your profile picture!!!!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky