• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Smoker Fried Chicken

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 4, 2012
One of my favorite meals is oven fried chicken. The store had thighs on sale so I picked up  batch and decided to put a twist on the recipe and do them in the GOSM. Gotta burn up that old, cheap propane so I can go buy some of that $5/gallon stuff!

Basic Recipe is as follows:

(this is enough for 4 thighs)

Preheat oven or smoker to 425°

1/4 cup flour

Salt, pepper, garlic powder, chipotle or paprika ( I don't measure )

Mix this together in a zip lock or paper bag. Put two to three pieces of chicken in bag and shake.

In a cast iron pan or other shallow pan melt 1/4 cup of butter (you can use olive oil, peanut oil, or shortening instead). Place chicken skin side down. Place pan in oven and cook for 45 minutes. Flip chicken and cook for another 15 minutes.

Sorry no smoker shots, been dumping rain non-stop for the last three days and the camera doesn't like getting wet!

As mentioned used the GOSM, 425°, cherry smoke provided by the 12" AMNTS in the mailbox.

ENJOY!!!!

oldschoolbbq

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 16, 2008
Hey , DS . That looks marvelous , wish we could see the Smoker shots , but they look yummy anyhow

Here's hoping you have a Happy Valentines Day , have fun and as always . . .

woodcutter

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 2, 2012
Good looking chicken! I hear you about the propane. I've been using the Weber lately.

pc farmer

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 17, 2013
Looks great Case.

ak1

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 23, 2010
Paraphrasing Little Rascals.... "Yum Yum, Eat 'em up!!"

so ms smoker

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Joined Dec 20, 2010
  Skin looks nice and crispy! Always a good thing!

Mike

foamheart

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Apr 4, 2013
Nice looking Case. I have a stupid question, I know what asparagus is, whats the other stuff? Clear lentils? White caviar? Doesn't quite look like barley or rice.

Most excellent looking chicken. Hard to go wrong with yard birds for any meal, but a dang nice meal for Valentines.

django

Joined Jan 27, 2014
Man here in Texas and looking for your address !
That's some Bigg Boss looking Byrd !

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 4, 2012
Hey , DS . That looks marvelous , wish we could see the Smoker shots , but they look yummy anyhow :drool

Here's hoping you have a Happy Valentines Day , have fun and as always . . .
Thanks Alesia! I'll be making this again for sure, so hopefully smoker pics next time!

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 4, 2012
Good looking chicken! I hear you about the propane. I've been using the Weber lately.
Thanks! Yeah I would've used the Mini but the handle from the cast iron makes that pan not fit. I do have a non handled one that will but it's in storage in the camper.

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 4, 2012
Nice looking Case. I have a stupid question, I know what asparagus is, whats the other stuff? Clear lentils? White caviar? Doesn't quite look like barley or rice.

Most excellent looking chicken. Hard to go wrong with yard birds for any meal, but a dang nice meal for Valentines.
Thanks Foam! That there stuff is quinoa!

WaterinHoleBrew

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 18, 2013
Hey ds, leaving home now and following that scent to your house... I'll bring the beer.. :cheers: Nice job Thumbs Up. Justin

disco

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 31, 2012
Okay, Case, here's the deal. It is valentine's day so I will trade a box of chocolates for a serving of that chicken. It looks great.

Disco

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 4, 2012
Hey ds, leaving home now and following that scent to your house... I'll bring the beer.. :cheers: Nice job Thumbs Up. Justin
Not a bite left! I wanted to take leftovers for lunch and found that my oldest packed the last thigh for his lunch!!! The youngest was complaining he didn't get any for his lunch. Guess I'll have to make more next time!

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 4, 2012
Okay, Case, here's the deal. It is valentine's day so I will trade a box of chocolates for a serving of that chicken. It looks great.

Disco
Thank you Disco! My mom used to make this all the time when I was a kid. Simple easy comfort food!

To be honest I would've liked to make gravy out of the dripping and had mashed taters, but my better half is keeping my fattening smoking habits in check!!! So quinoa and asparagus.

Last edited:

jrod62

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 13, 2011
I have smoke chicken until the IT gets to 145 then drop in deep fryer for "smoke fried chicken". Going to have to try it this way!!

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 4, 2012
I have smoke chicken until the IT gets to 145 then drop in deep fryer for "smoke fried chicken". Going to have to try it this way!! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
This works great. If I hadn't been lazy I could've fired up the UDS instead of the GOSM!! Didn't even think about that until I saw your profile picture!!!!!!

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.