smoker for xmas!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mattf319

Original poster
Dec 26, 2013
greetings all  - hope everyone had a nice holiday.  my wife semi surprised me with a smoker for xmas. i've browsed this site for a few weeks now and can see there is a great wealth of info on here. glad folks are willing to share their "secrets"and other tips.  this will cut the learning curve for a newbie like myself !  i am going to try smoking some pork for pulled pork on Sunday.  we usually do this in the crockpot but i cant wait to give it a try in the smoker!  i'll post some pics and let everyone know how it turns out.

Well that's quite exciting and welcome aboard!

When I joined here, strangers welcomed me, and that was very nice of course, (hence I am doing the same), but it just became even better as yes, everyone helps and shares and it's fantastic what is here to see and learn!

It's just wonderful!

You'll love it!

And it will be fun to see your posts too!

Cheers! - Leah

Welcome to the forum, Matt! Lots of good folks and good info here. Jeff's 5 day e-course is great.... and free. Click on it on the right side of the page. The search function is great, too. How about letting us in on what your wife got you? All the best to you and good to have you on board.

[h1]
texas.gif
Hello and welcome from East Texas. This is a great site, lots of information and great people that are willing to throw in their two cents worth on about anything.   
[/h1][h1]  [/h1][h1]Gary[/h1]

Thanks for the warm welcome! She got me a masterbuilt 30" electric smoker. Picked up some chips tonight to use to "season " it this weekend instructions said run it few hours without meat to set it up for smoking . Pretty excited to give bacon a try too!

Lots of folks have the MES and put out some great Q. I think you will love it.

It's funny you say semi surprised, because my wife got me a gas smoker and it shipped in the original box. No surprise there! Enjoy.

let my questions begin!   just "seasoned" my smoker this morning.   said to run it at 275 for 3 hours and for the last 45 mins, add some wood chips.  i did all that, let it cool off and i opend the door.... inside i noticed what appears to me like a brownish, grease looking build up around the insides of the smoker....is this normal?  i wasnt really expecting to see anything in there since there was no meat inside.  is this just smoke i am seeing?

THANKS

let my questions begin!   just "seasoned" my smoker this morning.   said to run it at 275 for 3 hours and for the last 45 mins, add some wood chips.  i did all that, let it cool off and i opend the door.... inside i noticed what appears to me like a brownish, grease looking build up around the insides of the smoker....is this normal?  i wasnt really expecting to see anything in there since there was no meat inside.  is this just smoke i am seeing?

THANKS
That is not only normal but pretty much the whole point of "seasoning" your smoker. That is the residue from the wood smoke which will help protect the inside of the smoker as well as provide a sort of insulation which will help moderate your temperatures as well as providing additional flavor.

Yeah, that's the seasoning although sounds like maybe you really laid the smoke on it. Which is no big deal for seasoning. However, don't make the common mistake of a lot of newbies and have clouds of white, acrid smoke billowing out of your cooker for hours on end. Go easy to start and build up after each cook to get to a level you like. Remember that food cooked with too little smoke is still good food. Food that's oversmoked can be inedible. All the best to you.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky