Smoker/firebox issues

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sinisterone99

Original poster
May 18, 2012
Germany
Hello everyone.  I'm in the Army stationed in Germany and have decent access to the bare essentials: charcoal & smoking wood.  I have a BBQ Butler and have used it several times without using the smoker/firebox.  I've always just put the wood chunks on the charcoal before cooking and during cooking.  This past weekend I tried to use the smoker box and it FAILED completely.  My charcoal was out in a few minutes and I kept trying to get it back started to no avail.  My charcoal was not cheap and I used a chimney to get it started for the smoker/firebox side only.  The vent on the box was fully open and the one on front was half open and the damper was fully open.  Can anyone tell me what I am possibly doing wrong???  I plan to start putting that box to use and want to get it right soon.

Sinisterone99 welcome to the SMF , WE are at your disposal...try this:http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/a/stickburning101   .  if it doesn't help , and you can make smoke? Pre-burn the wood and add Red Coals to the Fire Box . Keep a side fire going .

Hope this helps , and Thank You and your Team .
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Stan  

Have fun and...

I read the link and excellent info I plan to use more frequently if all goes well the first time...  Thanks.

Hello everyone.  I'm in the Army stationed in Germany and have decent access to the bare essentials: charcoal & smoking wood.  I have a BBQ Butler and have used it several times without using the smoker/firebox.  I've always just put the wood chunks on the charcoal before cooking and during cooking.  This past weekend I tried to use the smoker box and it FAILED completely.  My charcoal was out in a few minutes and I kept trying to get it back started to no avail.  My charcoal was not cheap and I used a chimney to get it started for the smoker/firebox side only.  The vent on the box was fully open and the one on front was half open and the damper was fully open.  Can anyone tell me what I am possibly doing wrong???  I plan to start putting that box to use and want to get it right soon.
I am not familiar with the smoker, but if you have a vent on the front of the grill chamber it should be fully closed IMHO, in order to get proper air flow into the firebox and to the charcoal.

I did a google search and couldn't find your smoker.. if you could get us some pics and showing where the vents are that might give us a better idea on what advice to give... pics inside and out...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky