• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ARett426

Original poster
Mar 14, 2018
I have a 55 inch length of 24 inch, .375 wall pipe that I want to build a smoker out of. I have looked at Feldon's design page, but I have a few questions:
1) I don't have any 3/8inch plate. Would 5/16 plate be sufficient for the ends, or should I be using 1/2 inch?
2) Based on Feldon's calculator I plan on a 20x20x24 in long firebox. Is 5/16 plate sufficient for that? Do my dimensions make sense?
3) Will 5 inch pipe work for the chimney?
4) would one centered 30 inch door work or would I be better off with 2 smaller doors?
This is my first build and I really want to get it right.

What are you building? A smoker or a Tank! lol. Just kidding. That little honey is going to be heavy duty! I'am no expert. I have made three smaller units. I used 3/16 and 1/4. They do a real nice job. You can use what ever you like, The heat up time will be longer but it should hold a steady temp way better. I like lots of air flow though mine I use 6" for the chimney. The air intake is the same 6". Your fire box is a little on the small side. The fire box should be around 12000 cubic inches yours is only 9600 you could most likely get away with it but 24x24x24 gives you 13824 which is really nice. I like one door, with the wireless temp stuff out today you really don't have to open it very often. If your lookin you aint cookin! lol. Some others may disagree but that's BBQ It is not a perfect science. She's your baby do what you like. Good luck. and welcome. Lots of good folks here with great ideas. Peace Brother.

What are you building? A smoker or a Tank! lol. Just kidding. That little honey is going to be heavy duty! I'am no expert. I have made three smaller units. I used 3/16 and 1/4. They do a real nice job. You can use what ever you like, The heat up time will be longer but it should hold a steady temp way better. I like lots of air flow though mine I use 6" for the chimney. The air intake is the same 6". Your fire box is a little on the small side. The fire box should be around 12000 cubic inches yours is only 9600 you could most likely get away with it but 24x24x24 gives you 13824 which is really nice. I like one door, with the wireless temp stuff out today you really don't have to open it very often. If your lookin you aint cookin! lol. Some others may disagree but that's BBQ It is not a perfect science. She's your baby do what you like. Good luck. and welcome. Lots of good folks here with great ideas. Peace Brother.
At 94.6 pounds per ft the pipe section is heavy, but it was free.

Reactions: Dawg Dude
I can't wait to see the finish! This one is going to be Bad ass! Once it's finished it's only going to last about 330 years!

Last edited:
Man, I'm no builder, but what you describe is going to be some bad ass smoker!
Can't wait to see how it turns out.
Are you going to make it a reverse flow?
If so here is a great tutorial & calculator.
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...moker-how-to-calculate-build-tutorial.268692/
Good luck!
Al
I am going to make it a standard offset. Should I locate the firebox 1/2 way at the end of the pipe? I located some scrap 3/8 inch plate the other day for the ends and firebox. I have a lot of cutting to do.

The top of your firebox outlet should be level or just a little below the cook chamber grates. The bottom of the chimney should be level or just below the grates. the opening of the firebox into to cook chamber is equal to or a little larger than the air intake and the chimney. Air intake and chimney should be the same size. Now reverse flow changes that. Not that I have anything against it. I like standard flow with lots of air flow. That way most of the air flow is across the grates where the meat is. I like to keep the firebox a little low, heat rises, but who doesn't know that? but that's why I keep the chimney low for more even heat across the grates. The top of the CC may get a little too hot, but who cares just open the door. Problem solved. I like lots of thermometers. 1 on the FB 2 on the CC and 2 IT in the meat. Hope this helps.

Reactions: ARett426
Thanks. I am looking forward to start welding, but first have to decide the best way to cut the door in the .375 wall pipe. I am thinking I should build the base first to have a better working height.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky