SmokeDaddy Magnum P.I.G and Pellet Pro PID upgrade for my PB Austin XL

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I think it’s very important on how you start and manage the initial lump charcoal burn process that will have an affect with the amount of creosote that can develop in the Smoke Canister. After my first cook with the Magnum P. and the amount of Creosote that had developed.... and it was a lot, I had to figure out what was causing it and how to fix it. A hot burning lump charcoal base will really help in cutting down the creosote buildup in the cold smoke canister and as kstone113 has stated, what creosote that does develop is easily cleaned with the bush that comes with the unit. The smoke canister will go through a seasoning process just like a bbq grill does. The canisters interior will still darken due to the heat and smoke production, but this is completely normal. Start with a good hot base, add 1/4 chips and top with 3/4 chunks and you’ll have a nice long smoky burn.

Another issue/concern that has come up is that some pellet grills generate back pressure caused by the grills fan intermittently coming on and off. Also, Pellet Grills with lids that are well sealed will have a greater chance of this happening as well. When the Fan is on, the back pressure it causes will push the smoke out of the bottom of the SD smoke canister and very little if any smoke will go into the grills cooking chamber. To remedy/fix this is to crack/prop the grills lid about 1/8”-1/4” of an inch.... Just enough to where the smoke will stop pouring out of the bottom of the smoke canisters base cap holes and start back coming out of the grills exhaust stack. There shouldn’t be much temp lost if any and very little smoke exiting from the grills lid. Not all pellet grills have this issue, but some do and this fix really works.

Kstone113, when you finally do bbq that brisket and spare ribs with that hardwood smoke from the SD Magnum P.I.G. you’re gonna say Wow... You can also cold smoke them first for a half hour and then fire up your Rec Tec... Give it a shot.

Pellet Pro Austin XL and a few more mods... in SoCal and Always... Semper Fi

Last edited:
Reactions: kstone113
Thanks RCAlan - I appreciate this thread and all your tips. It allowed me right out of the gate to do things correctly. Honestly, without the tips, I would of just filled up the whole canister and hit like I've seen in SmokeDaddy videos and that causes a lot of bad white smoke. Allowing the charcoals to get real hot and red allows the smoke to be clean right off the bat.

I'll definitely post when I do either one of those and report back.

Reactions: RCAlan
Question: I've got a Traeger Timberline 850. I'm going to pull the plug on one of these cold smoke generators in the next few weeks -- I'm thinking the medium sized smoker -- the Big Kahuna -- since my Traeger is fairly compact (not the largest by any stretch).

Are there any benefits besides overall smoke time -- airflow, in particular -- to the the largest (Magnum PIG) versus the Big Kahuna (medium)?

My plan is to follow the advice here -- charcoal, and mostly store-bought wood chunks. I'm assuming the wood chunks will fit (for the most part) into the medium smoker. 3.5" diameter versus the 4.5" on the Magnum.

In other words, even though my Traeger is on the smaller side -- should I be thinking about getting the *biggest* smoke generator?

Hard to answer, I know -- since (probably) no one has both smoke generators -- but I am concerned about the air flow from the medium versus the large. And I'd hate to goof by buying a small(er) one with a more restricted air flow.

And -- another question -- has anyone added a different -- more powerful, I assume -- air pump? Would this make a difference?

Again -- great thread. Lots of cool info.

Question: I've got a Traeger Timberline 850. I'm going to pull the plug on one of these cold smoke generators in the next few weeks -- I'm thinking the medium sized smoker -- the Big Kahuna -- since my Traeger is fairly compact (not the largest by any stretch).

Are there any benefits besides overall smoke time -- airflow, in particular -- to the the largest (Magnum PIG) versus the Big Kahuna (medium)?

My plan is to follow the advice here -- charcoal, and mostly store-bought wood chunks. I'm assuming the wood chunks will fit (for the most part) into the medium smoker. 3.5" diameter versus the 4.5" on the Magnum.

In other words, even though my Traeger is on the smaller side -- should I be thinking about getting the *biggest* smoke generator?

Hard to answer, I know -- since (probably) no one has both smoke generators -- but I am concerned about the air flow from the medium versus the large. And I'd hate to goof by buying a small(er) one with a more restricted air flow.

And -- another question -- has anyone added a different -- more powerful, I assume -- air pump? Would this make a difference?

Again -- great thread. Lots of cool info.
I don’t think you’ll have any air flow problems with the stock air pump for the Big Kahuna. I bought a larger air pump for the Magnum P.I.G. but haven’t used it yet as the stock pump puts out enough air for my size grill.
As for which size smoke canister to get for your size grill? I’m thinking both the Magnum P and the Big Kahuna should be ok, but I’m from the belief that it’s better to have to much then not enough. The SD Big Kahuna on the Timberline 850 should be just right. You can also reach out to Dennis at SmokeDaddy before you place your order. He’ll be able to answer your question about the air flow and any other questions you may have. If you love true Hardwood Smoke on your bbq, then you’ll be very happy you got the Big Kahuna.

I agree with RCAlan - give Dennis a call and talk to him about it. I went with the Magnum just like RCAlan b/c it wasn't too much more money and wanted enough smoke.

I have noticed the smoke does not last much longer than an hour even with the pump on a lower setting. That being said, I usually keep mine between 40 to 60% to max. So I"m not sure if the Big Kahuna would last even shorter or not. In theory, I would think so.

Regardless, I think you will be happy with the added smoke to your traeger.

I agree with RCAlan - give Dennis a call and talk to him about it. I went with the Magnum just like RCAlan b/c it wasn't too much more money and wanted enough smoke.

I have noticed the smoke does not last much longer than an hour even with the pump on a lower setting. That being said, I usually keep mine between 40 to 60% to max.

I pulled the plug on the Big Kahuna for my Timberline 850 a few minutes ago.

I'm still waiting on the cobalt step-bit, too -- but once everything comes, I'll post an update. Photos, too.

Last edited:
Well, I just may have finished hopefully my last mod for my PB/Pellet Pro Austin XL Pellet Grill. What I did, was to cut 2 groves out on the outer edges of the heat diffuser from the center where the burn pot is located, then to the right just before the end of the heat diffuser. I then cut and modified the SmokeDaddy Wood Burning HD that I had and removed the 2 small baskets that would hold the wood chunks...
Image.jpeg

Image_1.jpeg

Now I can place the SD heat diffuser directly into the stock Pit Boss heat diffuser, coving the burn pot. I also drilled and attached a metal rod to the SD heat diffuser that will allow me to be able to slide it too the right for high temp grilling and searing. I had already did that mod to the Flame Broiler slider as well. Now, I don’t have to choose between one Heat Diffuser over the other and I can bbq Low and Slow to start and then high temp grill and sear without having to remove grill grates or any other hot grill item or equipment. I now have the benefits of having the usage of both heat diffusers at the same time.
Image_2.jpeg

Image_3.jpeg

That almost flimsy, paper thin piece of metal, where the burn pot is located is what Pit Boss calls a heat diffuser... and it doesn’t even cover the burn pot nor blocks the heat. Now with the SD heat diffuser in place, bbqing low and slow or high temp searing is no longer an issue... Plus having the extra heat management of the grills flame broiler slider, the SD heat diffuser and the OEM heat diffuser all at the same time makes bbqing that much easier with rock solid temp control.

Last edited:
You have to have the best and most custom Pitt Boss out there....pretty cool stuff!

Thanks Kstone113.. It’s been a long, but fun journey. When I first bought the PB Austin XL, I saw its potential and while owning it, the Austin XL’s short comings as well. Pellet Grills in general... Everyone was getting caught up in Traeger’s info commercials. Funny, I wish they would release some new ones for TV in the future. When I got the PB Austin XL home, assembled it and did my first cook on it, I was like Wow... and Smh all at the same time. I was like, it’s not bad... but... Where’s the real hardwood smoke flavor?? and this thing does have some wild temp swings at times, what’s causing this to happen? With any hobby, You always want to improve and make things work and perform the best they can. Now my Pellet Pro Austin XL has rock solid temps because of the Pellet Pro Controller and my Que from my pellet grill, finally has real hardwood smoke flavor from installing the SD Magnum P. I.G. No more having to compromise on my bbq anymore. Just fire up the SD Magnum P.I.G. ie... Real hardwood smoke... and then fire up the Grill, Set it and Forget it, kick back and relax... This is what Pellet Grill bbqing should be. I hope the next generation of Pellet Grills that are coming on the market will make the pellet grill experience even easier and finally offer what most pellet grills owners want and miss and that’s Real Hardwood Smoke Flavor. They already have gas/pellet grill combos... If the Pellet Grill Manufactures would produce a pellet grill that was able to burn real Hardwood as an option, that would be huge!!! .02... Hopefully they’re listening and reading. I know I can with my Pellet Pro Austin XL and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Last edited:
Nice!

Now all you need is a long handle welded to the diffuser -- and sticking out the side of the grill. Pull the handle, pull the diffuser away from the firepot for searing. Push the handle -- push the defuser back into place for smoking.

How did you make those side cuts?

Another SD Big Kahuna question: if I'm searing, is there anything I need to do with the empty SD Big Kahuna? Can I just leave it there empty? Does the heat from the firepit searing get sucked out from the smoke generator if it's empty?

(I still haven't installed mine yet. I'm waiting for SD to resend the perforated grid that sits down at the bottom of the generator. I didn't receive one in the initial shipment -- no worries, no big deal -- SD sent another out immediately. Should be here in a couple days.)

I was thinking of taking a ball valve and additional pipe from my homebrew stuff -- and then attaching that near the grill to the smoke generator to close off the pipe out the grill to the smoke generator. Is this overkill?

Last edited:
Nice!

Now all you need is a long handle welded to the diffuser -- and sticking out the side of the grill. Pull the handle, pull the diffuser away from the firepot for searing. Push the handle -- push the defuser back into place for smoking.

How did you make those side cuts?

Another SD Big Kahuna question: if I'm searing, is there anything I need to do with the empty SD Big Kahuna? Can I just leave it there empty? Does the heat from the firepit searing get sucked out from the smoke generator if it's empty?

(I still haven't installed mine yet. I'm waiting for SD to resend the perforated grid that sits down at the bottom of the generator. I didn't receive one in the initial shipment -- no worries, no big deal -- SD sent another out immediately. Should be here in a couple days.)

I was thinking of taking a ball valve and additional pipe from my homebrew stuff -- and then attaching that near the grill to the smoke generator to close off the pipe out the grill to the smoke generator. Is this overkill?

1. Yes, I drilled a 5/16th size hole in the SD heat diffuser and through the grill. I attached a metal rod to it and out through the side of the grill to easily be able to open and close it. I also did the same mod to the Flame Broiler Slider on my grill a while back after I saw the feature on a Pit Boss Pro Series 1100 at the local Lowe’s Home Improvement Store.

2. As for the mod to the Pit Boss Heat Diffuser, the idea just came to me while looking at both heat diffusers at the same time and I said to myself, this could work. I tried cutting the PB heat diffuser first, but I didn’t have the right cutting blades. So I took the Pit Boss heat diffuser to a local Metal shop and I told the guy there what I wanted to do. Funny thing, the machinist doing the cutting asked, was this a Pit Boss Heat Diffuser and I said yes, how did you know... He answered, I have a PB Austin XL too... I told him, a great place to learn and share about Pellet Grills is the SMF Forum page.

3. As for searing and high temp grilling, you don’t have to do anything different to your grill or to the Big Kahuna Cold Smoker.. You can leave your empty Big Kahuna Canister on your grill. The heat will not get sucked out through the canister.

4. As for the Ball Valve idea, I have one attached to my grill already... See page 2 of this thread. Is it overkill?? No, but again, that would be up to the end user too decide. If You haven’t already, read this entire thread... It’s packed with great info and references to help make everything much easier. I tried to explain everything step by step just as I went through it. I hope the info helps.

Last edited:
I know it’s been a few months since my last update... Two of the most important things that many End Users of the SD Magnum P.I.G. Cold Smoke Canister had concerns about were the creosote buildup and good quality smoke production. I had recommended and still do, is to start with a white hot base of coals... Previously I had stated, to fill the canister with about 1/3 of lump charcoal and then fill the remainder of the canister with a mixture of wood chunks and chips. I wanted a good, strong hardwood smoke flavor profile for my bbq. Since this COVID-19 virus mess and having more time on my hands to do more bbqing and testing, I discovered less is Way Better then using more... While bbqing some Spare Ribs a few weeks back and thinking outside the box a little, I said to myself, why not fill the Magnum P.I.G. Canister almost completely with a mixture of lump charcoal and Kingsford Natural hardwood bbq briquettes to produce tbs charcoal smoke only and see what happens... The pellet hopper and burn pot were filled with Lumberjack 100% Hickory Pellets and the Pellet Pro Controller temp setting was set to 190* degrees to help produce more pellet smoke and to allow the grills fan to operate at a lower speed. This was only a test... The canister was filled half full with pre-burned Kingsford Natural Hardwood briquettes, one hickory chunk and the remainder with pre-burned Cowboy Lump Charcoal. I know some will say that Charcoal and Lump Coals don’t produce any smoke flavor... I guess that’s why so many people are running out to buy the MB 560GF grill.. The mixture of the Lumberjack Hickory Smoke from the Pellet Grill and Charcoal Smoke from the Cold Smoke Canister produced a really nice smoke combination. No ashtray smoke or incomplete smoldering wood smoke... The Charcoal smoke wasn’t overpowering, but was definitely there to accent the Hickory Pellet smoke. The Smoke burn from the Magnum P.I.G. lasted about 2 hours and I just refilled it again with pre-burned Kingsford Natural briquettes and a few Hickory wood chips on top. Also, the SD Magnum P.I.G. does not add any additional heat into the cooking chamber, just tbs charcoal smoke with a little touch of hickory to go along with the smoke production from the pellet grill. What I also noticed was the lack of any Creosote production anywhere. I think using to much wood in the Magnum P.I.G. can cause the production of Creosote to increase and also how much moisture is in the wood will also have an effect on the production of Creosote. The smoke production from the Magnum P.I.G. was super clean and added a very nice charcoal smoke flavor profile to the Hickory smoke being produced from the pellet grill. I don’t do any Cold Smoking, so this setup works out great for me. I was considering getting a MB 560 GF, just too have and compare to my Pellet Pro Austin XL/Magnum P.I.G. setup... Not anymore. I had skimmed over the MB 560’s owners manual to see how much wood they recommend to use in their unit and the ratio was like one wood chuck to every 4lbs of charcoal in the charcoal hopper. Not very much, but some... I’m not knocking the MB 560GF... I was just taking notes and comparing the benefits of both products and it seems that the majority of the smoke flavor profile is being produced by the charcoal.. The wood chunks are active as well, but a lot of wood is not required and a lot of people enjoy the results. With the combination of both hickory smoke and charcoal smoke from my Pellet Pro Austin XL setup, I think I’ve finally found the perfect balance as well... Oh and on a side note, I removed the modified stock PB heat diffuser because it was starting to warp pretty bad. Now I’m using the 10g SD heat diffuser only. I hope the info helps any Smoke Daddy Cold Smoke Canister users with their pellet grills.

Pellet Pro Austin XL and a few more mods... In SoCal and Always... Semper Fi

Last edited:
Thanks for the update RCAlan. I’ve got a few more cooks with the smoke daddy as well

Less is more, I agree. Except with oxygen. I always make sure to have a ton of room in the canister for air flow. I am having good results using a good lump charcoal as a base, maybe 1/3, and then adding a small wood chunk at a time.

Name of the game for me is lots and lots of air around the chunk. I am still running with no bottom cover on. I put a bucket under to catch any embers. I am still considering an upgraded air pump. I’m also considering drilling some holes in the canister for more air. Really promote that chimney effect.

I think you are onto something with Lots of charcoal. my favorite way to do ribs is still on the kamado smoker. Even over my all wood offset or pellet grill. Something about charcoal and ribs go together. I will try and increase my charcoal ratio to wood, and see what that does.

overall I’m happier with the smoke daddy opposed to a smoke tube.

Thanks for the update RCAlan. I’ve got a few more cooks with the smoke daddy as well

Less is more, I agree. Except with oxygen. I always make sure to have a ton of room in the canister for air flow. I am having good results using a good lump charcoal as a base, maybe 1/3, and then adding a small wood chunk at a time.

Name of the game for me is lots and lots of air around the chunk. I am still running with no bottom cover on. I put a bucket under to catch any embers. I am still considering an upgraded air pump. I’m also considering drilling some holes in the canister for more air. Really promote that chimney effect.

I think you are onto something with Lots of charcoal. my favorite way to do ribs is still on the kamado smoker. Even over my all wood offset or pellet grill. Something about charcoal and ribs go together. I will try and increase my charcoal ratio to wood, and see what that does.

overall I’m happier with the smoke daddy opposed to a smoke tube.

You’re right, having enough oxygen is very important. Running the SD Magnum P.I.G. with the bottom cap off will definitely promote good air/oxygen flow and it also makes it easier for the ash to fall out the bottom. I’m still using the stock air pump and so far so good. I bought a more powerful air pump awhile back, but still haven’t used it yet. Give the more lump charcoal/briquettes a shot... I was throughly surprised by the lack of Creosote production when burning about 90% charcoal to 10% hardwood in the canister. The tbs charcoal smoke was great and the pellet smoke was very good as well and the clean up was a breeze.

Pellet Pro Austin XL and a more mods... In SoCal and Always... Semper Fi

Reactions: mike guy
Hey guys, thought I would throw in my 2 cents also on my use since December.

I have had similar experiences. This just kind of validates what I had been doing and thinking. I've been filling my canister with at least 1/3 full with briquettes. I will admit I have been using the ready light ones but I didn't buy for the smokedaddy. Back when I had my vertical(well - still have but don't use - hopefully getting rid of very soon) propane smoker, I would have issues with the the regulator and the flames would blow out or very light flames. So a few times I had a to put those briquettes at the bottom of the vertical and light and provide more heat. It was just a bandaid fix but had 2 bags of it when I got my smokedaddy. I've gone through one bag now and wanted to ask what kind of lump charcoal brand should I get? I've been meaning to ask that for awhile. I know with wood chunks, I have to use a hand axe to break up which isn't a big deal to me. I assume I might have to do the same with the lump charcoal but wanted your guys advice on which brand is best as I have no much of any experience with charcoal.

Back to what I've been doing, I have found it best to fill at least 1/3 full of charcoal and only had a few chunks at a time. Perhaps I should just be filling more like 1/2 full? What percentage would you say you all are filling the canister?

I have also thought about drilling a few more holes in the bottom cap like RCAlan did and showed us. I do always keep a stainless steel bucket under mine also to catch ash. Every hour or so I usually take off the bottom cap to release the ash but perhaps with more holes, I won't need to do that as much? I know I could keep it off but would prefer to keep on.

I do not use the smokedaddy a ton but I love it! I haven't had too much cresocite build-up doing what I do which sounds similar to what you guys have done.

How do you guys get your charcoals going? Is there is chimney out there small enough for this? I've just been filling up, turning the pump on high and using a propane torch. It works but usually takes around 15 to 20 to get going.

Thanks all!
Ken

Reactions: RCAlan and mike guy
For lump charcoal I don’t think brand matters at these temps. I am picky about lump charcoal when I’m trying to reach 1000-1200 degrees for steaks. Not as much for smoking.

For grilling I like John henry. Bb, and rock wood aren’t bad either. Fogo is outstanding but at twice the price I can’t be bothered. honestly whatever brand has the most medium to large chunks and low water content is fine by me. For the smoke daddy though, smaller chunks are good so I don’t think brand matters one bit. For a cold smoker I don’t think even lump matters. I use it because I have it and grill with it. Not because I think it’s adding a lot to the cold smoker. Thats the wood chunks job.

Before you drill, try a cook with the bottom off, and the top only partially on. You might like how it smokes.

for lighting charcoal I use a looftlighter. It uses both heat and airflow to light. A torch is hot but after the ignite it’s choking the air, which is where a looftlighter will be faster. I get a bit going in a chimney and toss it a few pellets for extra burn. A sprinkling of pellets underneath your coals may help you here, they are high energy compared to charcoal as long as they have good airflow. A looftlighter is by far my favorite way to get charcoal, wood, or a smoke tube of pellets going. Can’t recommend one enough, Worth the price. Apparently there is a 300 dollar battery powered one at now. I’m not talking about that. They’re is a 70 dollar
Plug in model that I’ve used for over ten years. 300 bucks for a battery powered one sounds ridiculous. Maybe worth it for a camper but yea, that’s outrageous.

Glad to see everyone experimenting and getting results.

Last edited:
Hey guys, thought I would throw in my 2 cents also on my use since December.

I have had similar experiences. This just kind of validates what I had been doing and thinking. I've been filling my canister with at least 1/3 full with briquettes. I will admit I have been using the ready light ones but I didn't buy for the smokedaddy. Back when I had my vertical(well - still have but don't use - hopefully getting rid of very soon) propane smoker, I would have issues with the the regulator and the flames would blow out or very light flames. So a few times I had a to put those briquettes at the bottom of the vertical and light and provide more heat. It was just a bandaid fix but had 2 bags of it when I got my smokedaddy. I've gone through one bag now and wanted to ask what kind of lump charcoal brand should I get? I've been meaning to ask that for awhile. I know with wood chunks, I have to use a hand axe to break up which isn't a big deal to me. I assume I might have to do the same with the lump charcoal but wanted your guys advice on which brand is best as I have no much of any experience with charcoal.

Back to what I've been doing, I have found it best to fill at least 1/3 full of charcoal and only had a few chunks at a time. Perhaps I should just be filling more like 1/2 full? What percentage would you say you all are filling the canister?

I have also thought about drilling a few more holes in the bottom cap like RCAlan did and showed us. I do always keep a stainless steel bucket under mine also to catch ash. Every hour or so I usually take off the bottom cap to release the ash but perhaps with more holes, I won't need to do that as much? I know I could keep it off but would prefer to keep on.

I do not use the smokedaddy a ton but I love it! I haven't had too much cresocite build-up doing what I do which sounds similar to what you guys have done.

How do you guys get your charcoals going? Is there is chimney out there small enough for this? I've just been filling up, turning the pump on high and using a propane torch. It works but usually takes around 15 to 20 to get going.

Thanks all!
Ken

Hey Kstone113, thanks for sharing your thoughts and input as well... As for which Lump Charcoal Brand is the best to use, I’ve only been using Cowboy Brand Lump Charcoal to start my base burn, but as I noted in post #93, my loading the Canister procedures has changed. I’m sure many will say Royal Oak Lump Charcoal or Kamado Joe Lump Charcoal are better and they could be right... For my last two cooks, I’ve been filling up the Magnum P.I.G. Canister with the Cowboy Lump Coals as the base and filling remainder with Kingsford Natural Hardwood Briquettes. I have 2 chimney starters that I got from Home Depot to start my charcoal burns. I use a little lighter fluid to get my burn started as well. I’m only adding one Hickory wood chunk to the Canister too obtain tbs Charcoal Smoke from the Magnum P.I.G.. I got the idea after reading the fuel recommendation from the MB 560GF Owners Manual. They recommend to use one wood chunk to every 4 lbs of Charcoal. Less is more... I was completely surprised by the results. The mixture of the tbs charcoal smoke from the canister and the Lumberjack 100% Hickory Pellet Smoke from the Pellet Grill was Super Nice... The Spare Ribs I’ve cooked have turned out Great and with no Creosote production from the canister at all. I’ve found that using less wood in the canister is better then using to much. Now I’m getting the Hickory Smoke from the pellet grill and tbs charcoal smoke with a touch of hickory from the Magnum P.I.G.
I just picked up a bag of Kingsford Hickory Charcoal Briquettes today and I’m going to give them a try on my next cook. I hope the info helps.

Pellet Pro Austin XL and a few more mods... In SoCal and Always... Semper Fi

Last edited:
Thanks! I'm not sure next time I'll use the smokedaddy but I am going to go get some lump charcoal for sure. The less is more with the wood makes a lot of sense.

Also, it makes sense that some have not liked the smoke from the smokedaddy b/c they would add WAY too much wood and b/c of lack of oxygen, it would give that buffy white smoke which no one wants. Usually I will add one big or two small chunks. One time I used chips but I really like using chunks more.

Thanks for the suggestions.

How long does the chunk wood last with the mostly lump charcoal mix for the SD Magnum? I have a Masterbuilt pellet grill and the smoke flavor is laughable on my pulled pork and brisket. I get better smoke flavor from my gas grill with pellet tubes! Same tubes in the pellet grill don't seem to add any noticeable smoke flavor...maybe because of the fan, I dunno. But I think it's between a SD Magnum upgrade for the pellet grill or just buy an electric smoker. I'm guessing I'd be happier with the SD, but the best pulled pork I've ever had came off an electric smoker and what got me hooked on wanting to start smoking my own meats. I wasn't even a huge fan of pulled pork till I had that smoked butt...I always thought it was fine, but it was never something I'd choose over other BBQ options. Anyhow, I need better smoke results! I got the pellet grill because I got a great deal on it and figured it would improve on my gasser and pellet tube setup...but I was sorely mistaken.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky