SmokeDaddy Magnum P.I.G and Pellet Pro PID upgrade for my PB Austin XL

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Interesting. I wonder if you couldn’t put a ball valve on there so you can shut off smoke to the cook chamber when you add fuel. Then you can open it back up when the smoke is to your liking.

You mean like a 3-way brass ball valve T-full port?

Something like this:

https://www.valworx.com/product/3-w...-port-2-npt/brass-3-way-ball-valves-full-port

Well, if one just wanted to tinker, I don't see why that wouldn't work.

That would allow you to turn the valve one way to release dirty smoke away from your food, until your smoke became TBS, and then you just put the valve into the straight position and allow TBS to run through.

3 way would work but you could also go with a cheaper 2 way and just remove the top cap while waiting for the the new fuel to ignite. Dirty smoke exits the top. Akin to leaving your firebox door open while you wait for the new split to catch before limiting oxygen.

Yeah, I see what you mean.

You'd just shut your smoke valve off, take your cap off the burn canister, add fuel, once the fuel in your canister started to give off TBS, put your cap back on the canister and then reopen your smoke valve to release the TBS smoke into the cooking chamber.

Reactions: RCAlan
That was a great idea... I just picked up a 2-Pc Full Port Brass Ball Valve that can handle 150 psi working steam pressure and temps up to 400* degrees for $20.00 at the Home Depot Hardware Store. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Watts-3...rt-Threaded-Ball-Valve-3-4-LFFBV-3C/205888734

Now I can control the volume of smoke and the type of smoke with just a turn of a handle... The Brass color sticks out a bit, but this is a great improvement and update for the SD Magnum P.I.G. Thanks again.

Pellet Pro Austin XL and a few more mods... in SoCal and Always... Semper Fi

Reactions: SlowmotionQue
Trying to upload a few pics... Lets see if this works..

Attachments

• 8934ECB6-849F-49DC-9A70-155C45AE89A2.jpeg
    8934ECB6-849F-49DC-9A70-155C45AE89A2.jpeg
    99.2 KB · Views: 127
  • 5FD4320C-E3DE-498F-A142-0262F686E33F.jpeg
    5FD4320C-E3DE-498F-A142-0262F686E33F.jpeg
    157.2 KB · Views: 118
  • 2FFE9AD5-E309-4381-A347-8E71EFA2DAD6.jpeg
    2FFE9AD5-E309-4381-A347-8E71EFA2DAD6.jpeg
    103.8 KB · Views: 121
  • 5F93E30C-635A-4501-8063-62855D4FB2C9.jpeg
    5F93E30C-635A-4501-8063-62855D4FB2C9.jpeg
    150.5 KB · Views: 129
And a pic of the Smoke production from the SD Magnum P during the first test and before any of the updated mods and procedures were done... With the new mods and procedures in place and the brass ball valve installed, I can dial back any TWS production or cut it off completely with a turn of the handle... and then when it’s producing TBS, just turn the handle back and it’s all good.

Attachments

• 94872A5D-6BA6-4C23-94D2-C3C764B7F4BC.jpeg
    94872A5D-6BA6-4C23-94D2-C3C764B7F4BC.jpeg
    80.4 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Reactions: SlowmotionQue
This valve should come with the smoke generator.
I was thinking the same thing... To bad we can’t Patent an idea... Or can You? You and Mike Guy came up with a great idea... Almost 10 years in production and I guess no one else thought of it. Of all the pics posted that I’ve seen online, I have never seen one with a ball valve attached to it... Simply Genius idea...

Glad it's working out. The valve does seem kind of obvious in retrospect, at least as an additional fitted option. It might come with it's own side effects, like I assume at some point that valve is going to get kind of gummy inside. Your setup looks like it'd be pretty easy to disassemble every so often and give a good wire brushing.

I told myself if I wanted to get more smoke I'd just use my offset, but now you really have me wanting to try one of these out.

Glad it's working out. The valve does seem kind of obvious in retrospect, at least as an additional fitted option. It might come with it's own side effects, like I assume at some point that valve is going to get kind of gummy inside. Your setup looks like it'd be pretty easy to disassemble every so often and give a good wire brushing.

I told myself if I wanted to get more smoke I'd just use my offset, but now you really have me wanting to try one of these out.

Or once it starts to stick and gum up, just unscrew it and soak the ball valve in some CLR.. Calcium Lime Rust removal solution for a few minutes and then it’s good as new... Thanks again for the idea..

Give it a shot... They have 3 to choose from and if You have any questions, just give them a call first. They have great Customer Service too.

Just wanted to give an update on the progress with the SD Magnum P.I.G... If anyone adds the ball valve to the SD Cold Smokers, which is a great idea, they should order/buy an additional base canister cap as well. The top canister cap and base caps are identical except that the base cap has 4 pre-drilled holes in it and the top cap doesn’t have any holes. When using the ball valve to dial back the volume of smoke into your grill or to stop the flow of smoke altogether, that flow of smoke has to go somewhere... If the smoke is forced to stay in the smoke canister, it will choke and drown out the fire and effect the quality of smoke within the SD Magnum P.... but if you put a canister cap on top that has holes in it, the excess smoke will be able to exit out the top of the SD Magnum P. and limit any negative effects on the wood/fuel source or it’s smoke quality and production. When the SD Magnum P. is producing TBS, then put the top cap without holes on the Smoke Canister and when it’s producing TWS, put the Canister cap on with the 4 holes in it to help allow the system to breathe and to help the Ball Valve to work more effectively by limiting the amount of TWS into the cooking chamber of your grill. Having and using both Caps will help allow you to dial in the volume of smoke and the quality of smoke while using the ball valve with any of the SD Cold Smoking Generators.

Pellet Pro Austin XL and a few mods... in SoCal and Always... Semper Fi

Last edited:
hey all,
I talked to a fellow Rec Tec'r about this and he just leaves his grill open for the smoke to escape while waiting for the smoke to turn to TBS. While I think the ball valve is a good idea, from what he thought, it isn't necessary. Just putting that out there. I still haven't pulled the trigger yet as I've been pretty busy.

Have a smoke daddy and well don't use that much any more....the creosote build up in burn chamber is substantial.
Is it not worth the work of cleaning? Or the food isn't worth the extra work? People who I have talked to who have it don't use all the time but love the Q it makes.

hey all,
I talked to a fellow Rec Tec'r about this and he just leaves his grill open for the smoke to escape while waiting for the smoke to turn to TBS. While I think the ball valve is a good idea, from what he thought, it isn't necessary. Just putting that out there. I still haven't pulled the trigger yet as I've been pretty busy.

I like the option of being able to dial back the smoke in my grill if needed and not lose grill temp by opening up the grills lid to allow any excess smoke to escape. Kstone113, if you do happen to get one and on your first cook or test, you’ll see what I mean. TWS for many is not a bad thing as long as it can be controlled and the ball valve gives you that option of having better control of the volume and quality of smoke during your cook. Kit s, as for the creosote buildup, I’ve found that if you use lump charcoal, pre burned in a chimney starter then add the lump charcoal to your SD Cold Smoker, you’ll have much less buildup of Creosote in the canister. Also, if You line the interior of the SD Canister with heavy duty aluminum foil, you’ll have much less Creosote buildup and it makes the after cook cleanup a breeze. Here’s a great thread to read about smoke management with many tips pertaining to the SD Cold Smokers as well as the AMNPS... It’s a long read, but it has valuable information... https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/understanding-smoke-management-updated-12-08-14.139474/

Last edited:
Have a smoke daddy and well don't use that much any more....the creosote build up in burn chamber is substantial.

Kit s, how long have you had your SD Cold Smoker and what steps/procedures are you doing on the lighting of your SD Cold Smoker?

I see some members still have the intention of hijacking threads... I see why some of the old great members stop posting on this forum...

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky