• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

SmokeDaddy Magnum P.I.G and Pellet Pro PID upgrade for my PB Austin XL

RCAlan

Meat Mopper
Joined Aug 26, 2018
I think it’s very important on how you start and manage the initial lump charcoal burn process that will have an affect with the amount of creosote that can develop in the Smoke Canister. After my first cook with the Magnum P. and the amount of Creosote that had developed.... and it was a lot, I had to figure out what was causing it and how to fix it. A hot burning lump charcoal base will really help in cutting down the creosote buildup in the cold smoke canister and as kstone113 has stated, what creosote that does develop is easily cleaned with the bush that comes with the unit. The smoke canister will go through a seasoning process just like a bbq grill does. The canisters interior will still darken due to the heat and smoke production, but this is completely normal. Start with a good hot base, add 1/4 chips and top with 3/4 chunks and you’ll have a nice long smoky burn.

Another issue/concern that has come up is that some pellet grills generate back pressure caused by the grills fan intermittently coming on and off. Also, Pellet Grills with lids that are well sealed will have a greater chance of this happening as well. When the Fan is on, the back pressure it causes will push the smoke out of the bottom of the SD smoke canister and very little if any smoke will go into the grills cooking chamber. To remedy/fix this is to crack/prop the grills lid about 1/8”-1/4” of an inch.... Just enough to where the smoke will stop pouring out of the bottom of the smoke canisters base cap holes and start back coming out of the grills exhaust stack. There shouldn’t be much temp lost if any and very little smoke exiting from the grills lid. Not all pellet grills have this issue, but some do and this fix really works.

Kstone113, when you finally do bbq that brisket and spare ribs with that hardwood smoke from the SD Magnum P.I.G. you’re gonna say Wow... You can also cold smoke them first for a half hour and then fire up your Rec Tec... Give it a shot.

Pellet Pro Austin XL and a few more mods... in SoCal and Always... Semper Fi

Last edited:

kstone113

Smoke Blower
Joined May 24, 2019
Thanks RCAlan - I appreciate this thread and all your tips. It allowed me right out of the gate to do things correctly. Honestly, without the tips, I would of just filled up the whole canister and hit like I've seen in SmokeDaddy videos and that causes a lot of bad white smoke. Allowing the charcoals to get real hot and red allows the smoke to be clean right off the bat.

I'll definitely post when I do either one of those and report back.

bobbytuck

Joined Oct 11, 2019
Question: I've got a Traeger Timberline 850. I'm going to pull the plug on one of these cold smoke generators in the next few weeks -- I'm thinking the medium sized smoker -- the Big Kahuna -- since my Traeger is fairly compact (not the largest by any stretch).

Are there any benefits besides overall smoke time -- airflow, in particular -- to the the largest (Magnum PIG) versus the Big Kahuna (medium)?

My plan is to follow the advice here -- charcoal, and mostly store-bought wood chunks. I'm assuming the wood chunks will fit (for the most part) into the medium smoker. 3.5" diameter versus the 4.5" on the Magnum.

In other words, even though my Traeger is on the smaller side -- should I be thinking about getting the *biggest* smoke generator?

Hard to answer, I know -- since (probably) no one has both smoke generators -- but I am concerned about the air flow from the medium versus the large. And I'd hate to goof by buying a small(er) one with a more restricted air flow.

And -- another question -- has anyone added a different -- more powerful, I assume -- air pump? Would this make a difference?

Again -- great thread. Lots of cool info.

RCAlan

Meat Mopper
Joined Aug 26, 2018
Question: I've got a Traeger Timberline 850. I'm going to pull the plug on one of these cold smoke generators in the next few weeks -- I'm thinking the medium sized smoker -- the Big Kahuna -- since my Traeger is fairly compact (not the largest by any stretch).

Are there any benefits besides overall smoke time -- airflow, in particular -- to the the largest (Magnum PIG) versus the Big Kahuna (medium)?

My plan is to follow the advice here -- charcoal, and mostly store-bought wood chunks. I'm assuming the wood chunks will fit (for the most part) into the medium smoker. 3.5" diameter versus the 4.5" on the Magnum.

In other words, even though my Traeger is on the smaller side -- should I be thinking about getting the *biggest* smoke generator?

Hard to answer, I know -- since (probably) no one has both smoke generators -- but I am concerned about the air flow from the medium versus the large. And I'd hate to goof by buying a small(er) one with a more restricted air flow.

And -- another question -- has anyone added a different -- more powerful, I assume -- air pump? Would this make a difference?

Again -- great thread. Lots of cool info.
I don’t think you’ll have any air flow problems with the stock air pump for the Big Kahuna. I bought a larger air pump for the Magnum P.I.G. but haven’t used it yet as the stock pump puts out enough air for my size grill.
As for which size smoke canister to get for your size grill? I’m thinking both the Magnum P and the Big Kahuna should be ok, but I’m from the belief that it’s better to have to much then not enough. The SD Big Kahuna on the Timberline 850 should be just right. You can also reach out to Dennis at SmokeDaddy before you place your order. He’ll be able to answer your question about the air flow and any other questions you may have. If you love true Hardwood Smoke on your bbq, then you’ll be very happy you got the Big Kahuna.

kstone113

Smoke Blower
Joined May 24, 2019
I agree with RCAlan - give Dennis a call and talk to him about it. I went with the Magnum just like RCAlan b/c it wasn't too much more money and wanted enough smoke.

I have noticed the smoke does not last much longer than an hour even with the pump on a lower setting. That being said, I usually keep mine between 40 to 60% to max. So I"m not sure if the Big Kahuna would last even shorter or not. In theory, I would think so.

Regardless, I think you will be happy with the added smoke to your traeger.

kstone113

Smoke Blower
Joined May 24, 2019
I agree with RCAlan - give Dennis a call and talk to him about it. I went with the Magnum just like RCAlan b/c it wasn't too much more money and wanted enough smoke.

I have noticed the smoke does not last much longer than an hour even with the pump on a lower setting. That being said, I usually keep mine between 40 to 60% to max.

bobbytuck

Joined Oct 11, 2019
I pulled the plug on the Big Kahuna for my Timberline 850 a few minutes ago.

I'm still waiting on the cobalt step-bit, too -- but once everything comes, I'll post an update. Photos, too.

Last edited:

RCAlan

Meat Mopper
Joined Aug 26, 2018
Well, I just may have finished hopefully my last mod for my PB/Pellet Pro Austin XL Pellet Grill. What I did, was to cut 2 groves out on the outer edges of the heat diffuser from the center where the burn pot is located, then to the right just before the end of the heat diffuser. I then cut and modified the SmokeDaddy Wood Burning HD that I had and removed the 2 small baskets that would hold the wood chunks...
Image.jpeg

Image_1.jpeg

Now I can place the SD heat diffuser directly into the stock Pit Boss heat diffuser, coving the burn pot. I also drilled and attached a metal rod to the SD heat diffuser that will allow me to be able to slide it too the right for high temp grilling and searing. I had already did that mod to the Flame Broiler slider as well. Now, I don’t have to choose between one Heat Diffuser over the other and I can bbq Low and Slow to start and then high temp grill and sear without having to remove grill grates or any other hot grill item or equipment. I now have the benefits of having the usage of both heat diffusers at the same time.
Image_2.jpeg

Image_3.jpeg

That almost flimsy, paper thin piece of metal, where the burn pot is located is what Pit Boss calls a heat diffuser... and it doesn’t even cover the burn pot nor blocks the heat. Now with the SD heat diffuser in place, bbqing low and slow or high temp searing is no longer an issue... Plus having the extra heat management of the grills flame broiler slider, the SD heat diffuser and the OEM heat diffuser all at the same time makes bbqing that much easier with rock solid temp control.

Last edited:

RCAlan

Meat Mopper
Joined Aug 26, 2018
You have to have the best and most custom Pitt Boss out there....pretty cool stuff!
Thanks Kstone113.. It’s been a long, but fun journey. When I first bought the PB Austin XL, I saw its potential and while owning it, the Austin XL’s short comings as well. Pellet Grills in general... Everyone was getting caught up in Traeger’s info commercials. Funny, I wish they would release some new ones for TV in the future. When I got the PB Austin XL home, assembled it and did my first cook on it, I was like Wow... and Smh all at the same time. I was like, it’s not bad... but... Where’s the real hardwood smoke flavor?? and this thing does have some wild temp swings at times, what’s causing this to happen? With any hobby, You always want to improve and make things work and perform the best they can. Now my Pellet Pro Austin XL has rock solid temps because of the Pellet Pro Controller and my Que from my pellet grill, finally has real hardwood smoke flavor from installing the SD Magnum P. I.G. No more having to compromise on my bbq anymore. Just fire up the SD Magnum P.I.G. ie... Real hardwood smoke... and then fire up the Grill, Set it and Forget it, kick back and relax... This is what Pellet Grill bbqing should be. I hope the next generation of Pellet Grills that are coming on the market will make the pellet grill experience even easier and finally offer what most pellet grills owners want and miss and that’s Real Hardwood Smoke Flavor. They already have gas/pellet grill combos... If the Pellet Grill Manufactures would produce a pellet grill that was able to burn real Hardwood as an option, that would be huge!!! .02... Hopefully they’re listening and reading. I know I can with my Pellet Pro Austin XL and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Last edited:

bobbytuck

Joined Oct 11, 2019
Nice!

Now all you need is a long handle welded to the diffuser -- and sticking out the side of the grill. Pull the handle, pull the diffuser away from the firepot for searing. Push the handle -- push the defuser back into place for smoking.

How did you make those side cuts?

Another SD Big Kahuna question: if I'm searing, is there anything I need to do with the empty SD Big Kahuna? Can I just leave it there empty? Does the heat from the firepit searing get sucked out from the smoke generator if it's empty?

(I still haven't installed mine yet. I'm waiting for SD to resend the perforated grid that sits down at the bottom of the generator. I didn't receive one in the initial shipment -- no worries, no big deal -- SD sent another out immediately. Should be here in a couple days.)

I was thinking of taking a ball valve and additional pipe from my homebrew stuff -- and then attaching that near the grill to the smoke generator to close off the pipe out the grill to the smoke generator. Is this overkill?

Last edited:

RCAlan

Meat Mopper
Joined Aug 26, 2018
Nice!

Now all you need is a long handle welded to the diffuser -- and sticking out the side of the grill. Pull the handle, pull the diffuser away from the firepot for searing. Push the handle -- push the defuser back into place for smoking.

How did you make those side cuts?

Another SD Big Kahuna question: if I'm searing, is there anything I need to do with the empty SD Big Kahuna? Can I just leave it there empty? Does the heat from the firepit searing get sucked out from the smoke generator if it's empty?

(I still haven't installed mine yet. I'm waiting for SD to resend the perforated grid that sits down at the bottom of the generator. I didn't receive one in the initial shipment -- no worries, no big deal -- SD sent another out immediately. Should be here in a couple days.)

I was thinking of taking a ball valve and additional pipe from my homebrew stuff -- and then attaching that near the grill to the smoke generator to close off the pipe out the grill to the smoke generator. Is this overkill?
1. Yes, I drilled a 5/16th size hole in the SD heat diffuser and through the grill. I attached a metal rod to it and out through the side of the grill to easily be able to open and close it. I also did the same mod to the Flame Broiler Slider on my grill a while back after I saw the feature on a Pit Boss Pro Series 1100 at the local Lowe’s Home Improvement Store.

2. As for the mod to the Pit Boss Heat Diffuser, the idea just came to me while looking at both heat diffusers at the same time and I said to myself, this could work. I tried cutting the PB heat diffuser first, but I didn’t have the right cutting blades. So I took the Pit Boss heat diffuser to a local Metal shop and I told the guy there what I wanted to do. Funny thing, the machinist doing the cutting asked, was this a Pit Boss Heat Diffuser and I said yes, how did you know... He answered, I have a PB Austin XL too... I told him, a great place to learn and share about Pellet Grills is the SMF Forum page.

3. As for searing and high temp grilling, you don’t have to do anything different to your grill or to the Big Kahuna Cold Smoker.. You can leave your empty Big Kahuna Canister on your grill. The heat will not get sucked out through the canister.

4. As for the Ball Valve idea, I have one attached to my grill already... See page 2 of this thread. Is it overkill?? No, but again, that would be up to the end user too decide. If You haven’t already, read this entire thread... It’s packed with great info and references to help make everything much easier. I tried to explain everything step by step just as I went through it. I hope the info helps.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.