Smoked Wild Hog Ribs on deck...pics. added

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
Just pulled 4 racks of wild hog ribs out of the freezer to thaw.
St. Louis cut pork ribs just went on sale @ the grocer for $1.57/lb. so I'll pick up some of those too.
My plan is to smoke the wild hog ribs for about 2~3 hours then Baste and wrap them in foil and lower the heat to 200* and let them get tender. I'll be using a home made blackberry BBQ sauce for the wild hog ribs and the store bought will be dry rub only.

Pics. early inda morning when de hit da grill.

I’ve shot hogs and made bratwurst but never ribs. How are they compared to regular store bought fatty ribs?

I’ve shot hogs and made bratwurst but never ribs. How are they compared to regular store bought fatty ribs?
Very lean and not as much meat on the ribs, but very flavorful. You have to wrap them in foil-no exception-in order for them to get tender.

Been busy workin inda yard while everything cooks.
Here are a few pics...

Whole sides of ribs off 50lb hogs. Each rack is ~14" long by 10" wide. Should be very tender. Seasoned up ready to hit the smokehouse.
DSC02690.JPG

I have 4 racks of ribs.
DSC02691.JPG

Beans have been inda oven since 9am. Put them inda smokehouse to get a kiss of smoke...
DSC02693.JPG

More when I pull them off to foil...

Pulled the ribs to wrap in foil after 3 hours of apple wood smoke @225...

DSC02696.JPG

Splash of beer before wrapping to keep them moist...
DSC02698.JPG

Moved the beans back in the oven@250* until tender.
DSC02697.JPG

Dunno how long it'll take for the ribs to get tender. I'll check 'em in 2 hours.

That is looking like a great meal...... Love the blackberry sauce recipe that you posted the link on. Mmmm I am drooling already.... Points early...

ab, I have been making that sauce for a long time. USe to pick fresh blackberries to make it, but when I started using the spreadable fruit I could not tell the difference taste wise.

Thanks for the likes. They smell awesome BTW...

Got to be some of the hardest beans I have ever cooked! Soaked overnight for at least 12 hours, in 300* oven @9am for 4 hours, then in the smokehouse for 2 hours, Back in 300* oven for another 2 hours and still hard.

I cranked the oven up to 350* and will stir the pot every 30 minutes so they won't stick.....hope that works....

I'll tell you on thing-next time I make baked cowboy beans from dry beans, I will cook the beans first, then mix up the cowboy beans! This is ridiculous!

Ribs turned out awesome, but the beans were a complete failure. I used a bag of great northern beans I had on hand that a buddy brought to the hunting camp this past season. Needed to be cooked. I don't know if using great northerns was the problem or not-I usually use the smaller navy beans.

The beans would never get soft....even after 12 hours of cooking! And I soaked them overnight! Cooked for so long the sugars in the cowboy beans turned bitter...I ended up throwing it out, nothing I can do to save them. Very disappointed.

But... I enjoyed the ribs and I was only cooking for myself tonight so no big deal. Here's a pic....
DSC02700.JPG

Not a lot of meat on them, but packed with flavor!!

Reactions: weev and ab canuck
Man those look good!
I haven't wrapped mine BUT I keep as much fat on them as possible and I "transplant" fat that I save from other parts of the hog that I save. I lay it over the ribs to help keep them from drying up or burning up in any spots.
I also cook to temp with probes using SmokinAl's approach but I take them up to about 200F or so.

Also I agree, the wild pork ribs are out of this world with flavor. Wild pork is awesome and seems so much more flavorful than farm raised :)

Thanks tallbm, I finished them off today for lunch. I like to wrap wild hog ribs to ensure they get tender. The fat can be so iffy pig to pig. some are very lean while others the fat can be strong...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky