• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Rmartinez2

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 13, 2019
Hey everyone today i'll be putting a small turkey in a brine to smoke for tomorrow. I had a couple of questions on the cook, specifically the placement. I have a resting rack that sits on a cookie sheet/pan. Would it take away from the smoke if i were to put the turkey in the grill on that? Ultimately my thoughts are that i would be able to catch the drippings in the cookie sheet thus making cleanup easier as well as using some for a gravy.

thoughts? Any other tips fully welcome as well.

It might reduce the smoke a bit. I use one of those v-racks that hold the bird up several inches above the lip of the pan and allows smoke to circulate under the bird. It's always a last minute decision for me, whether to roast in a pan or put directly on the grill. Cleanup isn't a problems either way, but if you want drippings for gravy you don't have much choice.

Reactions: Rmartinez2
You can smoke it to an IT of 140° and then pan it after that. This way you'll get smoke circulation in the beginning and then still get plenty of drippings for gravy.

If you want to do it simply for cleaning purposes, the yeah just pan it. You'll get a little less circulation and this a little less smoke penetration, but it'll still be smoked.

You can smoke it to an IT of 140° and then pan it after that. This way you'll get smoke circulation in the beginning and then still get plenty of drippings for gravy.

If you want to do it simply for cleaning purposes, the yeah just pan it. You'll get a little less circulation and this a little less smoke penetration, but it'll still be smoked.

sometimes you read some really logical stuff like this... and you think, "wow did i really ask what i asked?" This makes perfect sense man. I appreciate it.

What Preacher man said, also remember that poultry is a real sponge for smoke, a little goes a long way. Lot's of guys over smoke their poultry and then complain they don't like smoked poultry. I wouldn't use any smoke mode with the turkey, I would just run it at 225°, cherry pellets give a nice flavor and great color, for about 2 hrs, or until you get to around 140° internally and then put you pan under it and crank it up to about 375° ,until you reach 165° in the breast and 175° in the thighs.

What Preacher man said, also remember that poultry is a real sponge for smoke, a little goes a long way. Lot's of guys over smoke their poultry and then complain they don't like smoked poultry. I wouldn't use any smoke mode with the turkey, I would just run it at 225°, cherry pellets give a nice flavor and great color, for about 2 hrs, or until you get to around 140° internally and then put you pan under it and crank it up to about 375° ,until you reach 165° in the breast and 175° in the thighs.

Sounds good! I'll be trying this out hopefully tomorrow if i can get home with enough hours in the day. Thanks again everyone.

Reactions: retfr8flyr
Here is a shot of my Christmas birds. These were an 18lb turkey and an 8lg breast. This was about taken about 3/4 way through the cook/ I didn't use anything under them because we were also cooking a 25lb turkey inside in the oven and were making gravy from that bird.

Hey everyone I was a day late. I put the turkey in a brine yesterday and took it out today. Let it air dry a bit then sprinkled it with a few spices and in it went. I did 225 for the first 2 hours then 300 the rest of the way. I tented it for the last 50 mins as it was as dark as I had hoped. I put it on at 3:35 and it hit 165 at the breast and 174 at the leg and thigh at about 8:10. It was a small 9lber

IMG_20190307_200606.jpg
IMG_20190307_200606.jpg
IMG_20190307_200621.jpg
IMG_20190307_201544.jpg

Great looking bird, you done good.
Thanks Martin. I went off your cook you were cool enough to send me all the details about and just modified a few things here and there. I did use some Cajun seasoning on this just not Tony's creole, altho I love that stuff. It turned out great man. Thanks again

Reactions: martin1950
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky