SMOKED Turkey - How to - help guide

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Loaded_express

Original poster
Nov 18, 2019
Alright guys, long time reader, first time poster. I just Joined to ask this question lol. Two years ago I came across THE BEST guide for smoking turkey. My smoke turned out great. I believe it was a guide from JJ. The only thing I have as a recollection is that I put oranges inside the turkey. Does anyone have the link to a guide on how to smoke a turkey by JJ or if not. Can you post your how to guides. I’ve been searching for months and haven’t found it. At this rate, I’m going to be scrabbling next week lol. I appreciate the help in advanced. Not that it helps, but I posted a picture of this beautiful masterpiece from two years ago. Ohhh how I wish I would have kept a log of it lol.
BBB35C5C-1EFC-4774-BA6C-9FB70C74F48A.jpeg
6A066869-0FFB-4D63-93EC-B01651FD563E.jpeg

Reactions: JC in GB
...or this one: although it's not JJs.

Chris

Last edited:
Reactions: cmichini

Maybe this one?
I think that is the one! Man, I’ve looked everywhere and I swear I used I used those exact keywords. *palm to face*
Well, now that we have that. Anybody got improvements or suggestions that they. Made or learned from on their smokes. I keep Seeing stuff about “clean smoke” what is that? I wonder if that’s why mine above was so dark. Tasted great and was moist, but skin was super dark.

...or this one: although it's not JJs.

Chris

i stand corrected. This was the post i was looking for. I remeber The pictures and the oranges. I only used oranges because I’m picky hahaha. Man y’all are awesome. I should Have joined sooner.

Reactions: cmichini
Hey, glad you found what you needed. We're here to help.

A turkey will take on smoke rather quickly. Clean smoke has a very light blue tint to being completely invisible, but you can still smell smoke when you whiff the exhaust toward your nose. If the smoke looks white or gray, it is dirty smoke filled with ash and particulates that will turn the skin black. The secret for thin blue smoke is time. Most load meat too early.

What smoker are you using?

Last edited:
Welcome! Glad you found your thread.

Just so you are aware, while there is crossover, there are 2 basic styles of "smoked turkey". The above are what I call hot smoked turkey. There is also a style where the turkey is cured and smoked at lower temps for a long time, similar to ham. I much prefer this style but I find it too rich for a dinner and is best served as an appetizer (probably the ultimate holiday appetizer). If interested, search some of Pop's Brine threads. I smoked many turkeys over the years until finally learning this. Many thanks to pops6927 pops6927 for sharing his brine and other trade secrets to us all here.

Thanks guys. I have the large WSM. I’ll try and wait some this time around to see if I can get that clear smoke. It was definitely dark last time lol.

I run my WSM as hot as I can get it with poultry. I bury wood in the cold charcoal, all vents full open, then add a full large chimney of hot charcoal on top. Then go do something for at least an hour to an hour and a half. Heck, even two hours is better. The wood preheats and burns cleaner.

Here's a shot of my first turkey on my 22" WSM.

...and the link if your interested:

1574241623609.png

Chris

Reactions: JC in GB
Here's a shot of my first turkey on my 22" WSM.

...and the link if your interested:

View attachment 412150

Chris
That looks amazing.
Really, 2 hours preheat. That sounds like forever lol, I’ll be itching to get them on the smoker lol!

So far, so good....

Attachments

• 6477CF0A-3C14-4559-906A-06687C1189B0.jpeg
    6477CF0A-3C14-4559-906A-06687C1189B0.jpeg
    233.3 KB · Views: 15
Only problem is I’m getting temps close to and around 165 at only 3 hours in on a 11.5 bird at 305-325 degrees temps. I’m freaking out lol. Don’t n ow if it’s actually done but also don’t want to over cook.

Coming along though.

Attachments

• D514BD4A-2344-46D6-BB0B-4D59E709CF11.jpeg
    D514BD4A-2344-46D6-BB0B-4D59E709CF11.jpeg
    150.7 KB · Views: 18
If your thermometer is accurate then trust it.

Chris

Your in the ballpark for a bird that size. @325 it should go about 3 to 4 hours. With your smokers temp variances Keep an eye on the birds internal temp.

Chris

Thanks for the reassurance. I think I may have been to deep and in the cavity because it said 172 but now that I moved them around I’m at 154 and 152 I got a few 162’s in other areas. I’ll keep a close eye and pull it soon.

Turned out great. Was definitely lighter this time around.

Attachments

• C3B6A921-8E7F-41F2-B761-C60700B57D3B.jpeg
    C3B6A921-8E7F-41F2-B761-C60700B57D3B.jpeg
    181.3 KB · Views: 16
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky