Smoked Turkey breast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Alright I have to work this weekend, but I have next week off. I know what I'm making now. I hope the local grocer has them in stock. One question Rich. Why the use of two different sugars brown and white? It's only in the brine for an overnight swim.

Chris

Thanks . I have a few hours in doing this . I've settled in on this method .

The short time in the brine won't add a hammy / cured flavor , but it does add to the taste and texture in my opinion . Not anything you can really put your finger on , it just works .
Also the brine ingredient amounts are where we like it . Salt level is perfect , and seems like a lot of sugar , but it works .
If I change things up or leave something out , I get questions at the table .

I do mine whole 99 % of the time . Used to do the butter under the skin . Still do sometimes . For this method , leaving the skin tight and tying it improves the texture . Again , this is done to our taste . You can use the basic idea and apply what you know . I like the boned and rolled over the bone in .

Appreciate all of the info. I picked up a couple bone in breasts last weekend on sale for $.99 a lb. Might give the cure brine a try.

Reactions: chopsaw
Why the use of two different sugars brown and white? It's only in the brine for an overnight swim.
That's the way Pop's formula is , and I mix it they way he posted it . You could inject with some Tony C's or use a brine you're used to . I just really like this on poultry .
I've gone longer , but find for doing this overnight is perfect .

Na I was just curious about the use of two different sugars.

Chris

Great Birds Rich.
And thanks for doing the test on the 2 ways . Bone in and bone out
I can see this happening here soon.
And the picture of the open face plate was just a mean tease, but looked great

David

I was just curious about the use of two different sugars.
I really don't know . I have done it with all brown sugar and it was good . All white sugar isn't the same .
Great Birds Rich.
And thanks for doing the test on the 2 ways . Bone in and bone out
Thanks David . Bone out is the way to go .
the picture of the open face plate was just a mean tease,
That's a different cook , but I usually have an open face sandwich with the leftovers .

This looks great and excellent write ups Rich. I've made a few boneless Breasts over the years. Never tried brining, etc. Seems like it's time to give this a try. We only have Turkey 1-2 times a year not counting Thanksgiving. It's usually pretty good, but a little mild flavor wise. This seems like it steps up the flavor, etc. Thanks for sharing.

Looks great
Thanks Keith . Great way to do turkey . Let me know if you try it .
This looks great and excellent write up
Thanks Mike .
It's usually pretty good, but a little mild flavor wise
I know , and I get it . The Turkey I had from Sugar fire BBQ was fantastic , and made me think about redoing they way I do it .
I could eat their's , sliced thick with nothing else . It's just really good .
This method is just as good . Sliced thick , doesn't need anything else .

Thanks bud . Makes some great eats .
Howdy, digging deep looking to smoke my first turkey breast for some Rachel's this weekend! Couple of questions...

Is your cure 1 the same as prague powder 1? I have this from making Pastrami.
Does it matter if the breasts already have a brine solution from packaging?
I've never done turkey, going to grab whatever breast I can from the grocery store. Anything to look for?

Is your cure 1 the same as prague powder 1?
Yes same thing . I use Pop's brine overnight . I don't go for a full cure on the breast , so I cook it hot and fast . I also inject , but you don't have to .
Does it matter if the breasts already have a brine solution from packaging?
I've never had an issue with it . If soaking in a wet brine the breast will retain around 10% .
Draws the solution out of the breast mixes and draws it back in .
I've never done turkey, going to grab whatever breast I can from the grocery store. Anything to look for?
Get the most affordable one . Lol . Any other question just ask . I just did one a week ago .

Yes same thing . I use Pop's brine overnight . I don't go for a full cure on the breast , so I cook it hot and fast . I also inject , but you don't have to .

I've never had an issue with it . If soaking in a wet brine the breast will retain around 10% .
Draws the solution out of the breast mixes and draws it back in .

Get the most affordable one . Lol . Any other question just ask . I just did one a week ago .

I ended up doing one breast that was a couple of pounds and a few drumsticks, cut the brine in half. My first time doing anything with turkey, deboning included. Man, best Rachel sandwich i have ever had.

I soaked/injected for 13 hours, desalination for 4 hours or so, patted dry and air dried for a few hours, then rubbed with mayo and a salt-free rub i made. Smoked around 275° for 3.5 hours. Thanks again for the recipe, will be doing this again!

Attachments

• 20230317_205424.jpg
    20230317_205424.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 4
Yum! From a fellow missourian, I can testify to the quality of Sugarfire. If you are getting even close to their quality you are doing pretty darn well. It looks to me like you have surpassed. Great job!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky