Smoked Turkey Breast ~ It Doesn't Get Much Easier ~ Works On Chicken Too

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 1, 2019
The Cowboy State - Wyoming
R0GXQgr.jpg

Most Texas BBQ joints serve smoked turkey, and for a good reason.... it's really good, and a healthier option to some of the higher fat options. I've been using this method for decades and a month ago I entered a (virtual) turkey completion (COVID-19 has cancelled many competitions) and I documented the entire cook because the cooks submit photographs that judges view.

The first turn-off to smoked turkey is the skin. In order to have a smoky and moist product for a main meal or for sandwiches.... the skin usually comes out rubbery. I solve that problem by removing the skin and throwing it away! Now I get seasoning and a bark on the meat.... and have full control for the entire cook. For the contest I used both breast and thigh, and here is the rundown. I removed each side of breast by turning the whole breast backbone UP. Slice off each half-breast aiming your knife toward the ribs. Just like filleting a fish. I cut the drumsticks and wings off, reserving them for another cook. I made broth with the carcass.

K3bB3y6.jpg

Here we are seasoned. The liquid in the pan is some injection that leaked out.
P4OI1kF.jpg
On the pit. I'm using a raised indirect set-up.
qlNHyn6.jpg

PQxP8uQ.jpg

Here are the half-breasts going into the wrap with some butter broth. The outside face is down in the foil.
4rs2kXQ.jpg

Same for the thighs but I used a pan instead of a foil pouch.
8Yxw3ic.jpg

Cooks must submit a recipe, so here is my write-up.
gwgzOQ1.jpg

Like I said, this technique can be used for boneless chicken breasts too. The rub and seasoning is totally optional. Also, forgoing the butter and just using broth is a healthier option. My favorite rub is a little salt and a lot of black pepper. This is generally what you get in Texas and they just refer to it as "Texas style". The turkey wings still have skin, but the half-breast does not. It's hard to tell the difference. When the breast goes for the wrapped step I like to lower the grate and crisp up the wings.
SFR1rX1.jpg

Looks like a Winner to me. I have a pair of Turkey Breasts waiting on a new Kettle. ..JJ

Reactions: yankee2bbq
A virtual cooking competition......LOL, I've heard it all now.

A virtual cooking competition is like the Miss America contest it's all about the looks and how they present themselves to the judges.

That being said, you did a great job and your food pic's and write up look fantastic.

Great looking Turkey and write up! I always leave the skin on, and then remove after the Turkey is done before slicing. I feel stupid never thought of discarding the skin from the start. Thanks for immediately improving my Turkey from here on out. Enjoy!

Mike

A virtual cooking competition......LOL, I've heard it all now.
A virtual cooking competition is like the Miss America contest it's all about the looks and how they present themselves to the judges.
That being said, you did a great job and your food pic's and write up look fantastic.

Thanks for the kind words. Cooks and judges were both getting cabin fever. Earlier this year I judged a brisket competition, then entered a rib competition, the turkey competition and Mrs ~t~ had an entry for a dessert competition. There were some learning curves for sure. Cooks submit up to 3 photos, a short video to demonstrate tenderness, and a write-up from which the judges can get an idea of the flavor profile. The turkey contest wanted more than a write-up, they wanted all the details so I dressed it up a little.

Great looking Turkey and write up! I always leave the skin on, and then remove after the Turkey is done before slicing. I feel stupid never thought of discarding the skin from the start. Thanks for immediately improving my Turkey from here on out. Enjoy!

Mike
fNB2TIC.jpg
During the holidays I will still inject and hot smoke full turkey breasts with skin on for friends, but I let it dry a full 24 hours and cook with a higher pit temp. The skin is fine for that particular meal, but after it chills it tightens up.

Going skinless, and you can do full breasts too, is just better because the seasoning stays on the meat, and your leftovers are much better. These are really good to make for a potluck or a football Sunday gathering. What's really funny is I've seen people think there is skin on the slices, and try to peel it off.

Thanks for the kind words. Cooks and judges were both getting cabin fever. Earlier this year I judged a brisket competition, then entered a rib competition, the turkey competition and Mrs ~t~ had an entry for a dessert competition. There were some learning curves for sure. Cooks submit up to 3 photos, a short video to demonstrate tenderness, and a write-up from which the judges can get an idea of the flavor profile. The turkey contest wanted more than a write-up, they wanted all the details so I dressed it up a little.

View attachment 450197
During the holidays I will still inject and hot smoke full turkey breasts with skin on for friends, but I let it dry a full 24 hours and cook with a higher pit temp. The skin is fine for that particular meal, but after it chills it tightens up.

Going skinless, and you can do full breasts too, is just better because the seasoning stays on the meat, and your leftovers are much better. These are really good to make for a potluck or a football Sunday gathering. What's really funny is I've seen people think there is skin on the slices, and try to peel it off.
Oh, I get it Mike it just struck me as funny when I first read the post, I must've been in one of my off the wall moods.

Damn, it looks like you have the bird dialed in I can't smoke them to save my butt unless I brine the hell out of them. I'm going to give your recipe a go the next time I'm smoking turkey.
I just bought a 10'' Lem slicer a few weeks ago for a screaming deal and paper thin sliced deli meats/ cold cuts are an obsession with my family. I absolutely love turkey smoked over mesquite wood on the UDS, so I'm really looking forward to trying out your recipe soon. I love dark meat but the hotel cuts are my favorite as far as BBQ joint turkey breasts are concerned.

I saved this thread, so I can attempt your recipe the next time I buy some breasts..........LOL, that didn't come out sounding right!!!

Dan:emoji_joy::emoji_joy::emoji_joy::emoji_thumbsup:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky