Smoked trout basics

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

aaron cohen

Original poster
Feb 23, 2017
I’m looking to smoke some trout fillets for a party and would like to the basics. What kind of wood? And for how long? Brine or no brine? If you also have a killer trout recipe on top of that you get bonus points, in my book. Thanks all.

Reactions: JLeonard
In the past I have just filleted the fish and sprinkled seasoned salt and pepper and garlic powder and smoked with alder. Didn't get any complaints and you can season a few differently for experimental purposes

Reactions: aaron cohen
WnCK46Y.jpg

Are you talking about flavor smoking some trout?
jFjWxuq.jpg

p0VkSPf.jpg

IOoh5VM.jpg

9yTlNmd.jpg

Or are you talking about curing and cool/hot smoking trout?
1oEXYM8.jpg

I like to chill and vacuum seal cured trout or steelhead on the grilling planks, and this gives you a cutting/serving board at a party.
Xwnh8kI.jpg

Both ways are delicious, and it does take a little planning as far as keeping them on the ice and completely de-boning the fillets.

Last edited:
View attachment 666437

Are you talking about flavor smoking some trout?
View attachment 666438
View attachment 666440
View attachment 666441
View attachment 666442
Or are you talking about curing and cool/hot smoking trout?
View attachment 666439
I like to chill and vacuum seal cured trout or steelhead on the grilling planks, and this gives you a cutting/serving board at a party.
View attachment 666443
Both ways are delicious, and it does take a little planning as far as keeping them on the ice and completely de-boning the fillets.
Where I come from we toss the ones on the horse back for breeding purposes !!!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky