Faux Prime Rib... (Not Eye of Round)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
I recently picked up a 24# beef shoulder clod. It was on sale and I wanted to make a lot of pulled/chopped beef for sandwiches and the clod would be perfect for that. Here's the thread on the shoulder clod:
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/smoked-top-choice-shoulder-clod.285114/page-2#post-1937387

But I did not need all 24# to be pulled, AND...the clod was bigger than the pan I was to use for the au jus! So, I separated out the petite tender and the flat iron from the clod. For those that may not know, the flat iron is the second most tender muscle on a cow. The petite tender is the 4th most tender...these cuts are perfect as steaks so that's how I cooked them...in a faux prime rib roll. Here's how I made it:

The flat iron, while very tender, has a thick, tough tendon that runs through the middle 1/2 of the muscle. You have to remove the tendon. You end up with two halves about 1" thick, 6~7" wide, and about 14" long. I've removed a lot of these when processing deer, first time removing from a cow. Much easier on a cow...

I filleted the tendon from the flat iron...
IMG_20190314_195105.jpg

I trimmed the petite shoulder tender, coated it with sherry wine (to sterilize a bit since I'm cooking to 135*) and placed it on the bone side of the iron steak (little bit of seasoning on the petite tender from when I realized the clod was bigger than my pan)...

IMG_20190314_195123.jpg

I rolled the edges of the flat iron up...(one side shown)

IMG_20190314_195359.jpg

I pulled the other side up and put the hide side flat iron on top...

IMG_20190314_195415.jpg

Then I tied the roll tight every 2" with butchers twine...
IMG_20190314_203254.jpg

IMG_20190314_203303.jpg

And it's every bit of a 6# roast roll....and a good 5" diameter or more.
IMG_20190314_204021.jpg

Little more seasoning and set aside to rest while I prep the clod and fire up the smokehouse with little white oak for smoke.

Last edited:
Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
One hour in when I added the beef stock to the au jus pan and inserted the temp probe into the faux prime rib.
IMG_20190314_233252.jpg

Pulled it 2 hours 45 minutes later...

IMG_20190315_005700.jpg

Let it rest and here's the money shot...
IMG_20190315_010008.jpg

All I can say is O.M.G!!! I am SOOOOOO glad I did this! So tender...like butta! And for $2.59/lb. you just can't beat it!!!

Jealous...that's a great looking hunk of beef. Nice job Inda and good call on separation.

Point for sure
Chris

That’s an amazing looking hunk of beef! It’s too early for me to be looking at this.

Awesome job!

Jealous...that's a great looking hunk of beef. Nice job Inda and good call on separation.

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks gmc...it worked out pretty good.

That’s an amazing looking hunk of beef! It’s too early for me to be looking at this.

Awesome job!

Thanks xray...I hurt myself with the steak! It was that good!
The McIlhenny Plantation Rub was spot on once again.

I would tie in 1" spacing next time. This would allow you to cut between the string into 1" steaks and plate each piece with the string holding it together. Once on the plate, the string can be removed for presentation.

My recommendation is to pick up a beef shoulder clod if you ever see one @ the grocery store butcher counter. Or ask the butcher to order you one....he can get it.

Indaswamp, you realize that your post is crime agains readers who are reading your post while having cereal breakfast... how do you plea?
Well....you KNOW I gotta have steak and eggs for breakfast this morning....right???? Along with some oven roasted potatoes and onions....and a little bit of that au jus on the taters!

I am only 13 hours into my 25lbs worth of brisket and 6 chuck short rib cook ( just put ribs on at 8am).. Looking at your pics makes me want to pull it off now and eat !! Great job !

Reactions: indaswamp
Nice.Looks like it really didn't need the fat wrap at all.
Well...I am out of pork fat caps. Used them all up when we did the venison processing day. I had already gone to the store for the au jus ingredients and did not pick up any bacon. So I just drizzled some olive oil on top. It is one tender cut let me tell ya.....

Man that looks great! Points on the cook for sure. Would love to find a clod around here but haven’t ever run across one
Ask the butcher @ your grocery store. They can get it for you. If you see flat iron steaks for sale, they are getting the clods and breaking them down in house. Tell them you want to buy the whole clod. Usually $2.75~3.00/lb. They might make you a deal on the whole clod....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky