Smoked some mackerel

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

marco007

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
My brother and I smoked some mackerel, weighed about 5lbs. We had fish market filet them, nice huge filets, about 13 inches long! Rubbed with EVOO, kosher salt and pepper, and dill! Smoked 30-40 mins with hickory and cherry wood! Didnt want to do salmon, fish guy said try mackerel, so we did! Nice flavor, you know its good when it doesnt taste like fish!
2 mins later

What kind of Mackerel? We sometimes catch Pacific, and King Mackerel here, smoking it is the only way to make those two edible in my opinion!

could be Spanish, I usually smoke them alot longer and make dip out of them. Still if they are fresh and you cut out the blood line, they fry up real nice.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky