Smoked Snack Mix

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
Every year we make snack mix as part of our Christmas Tradition. You shouldn’t mess with tradition. However, I have a defective synapse or something that makes me want to try new things. I decided to make this year’s snack mix in my Traeger Timberline smoker. I know you guys have been doing this forever but this did not totally please She Who Must Be Obeyed. She wanted the snack mix we make every year and I have been afraid to try smoking it.

I have only been afraid of two people in my life, Mom and She Who Must Be Obeyed. This year, I solved her concerns and protected my vital parts by making a batch in the oven and another in the smoker.

Note the recipe calls for square non sweet cereal. What I use is determined by what is available here in the Canadian Rockies. Any unsweetened Chex cereal will work as will Kelloggs Crispix. I have even added some Cherios for a different shape. However, sweetened cereals don’t work in my opinion.

I preheated my smoker to 250 F. I put the following in a large bowl:

• 175 ml (3/4 cup) mixed nuts
  • 175 ml (3/4 cup) pretzel sticks
  • 175 ml (3/4 cup) garlic bagel chips
  • 1.75 L (7 cups) of square nonsweet cereal (I used 4 cups rice chex and 3 cups Crispix cereal)
I put 60 ml (4 1/2 tablespoon) butter in a large roasting pan and put it in the smoker to melt (about 10 minutes).

I added the following to the butter and stirred:

• 35 ml (1 3/4 tablespoon) Worcestershire sauce
  • 3 ml (0.5 tsp) garlic powder
  • 6 ml (1 1/4 teaspoon) seasoned salt
  • 2 ml (1/3 teaspoon) onion powder
I put the cereal mix in the pan and carefully turned and flipped to coat.

Smoked Snack Mix 01.jpg

I cooked the mix for 1 hours, stirring and turning every 15 minutes.

Bring the mix in and let it cool completely.

Smoked Snack Mix 02.jpg

Store in an airtight container.

Smoked Snack Mix 03.jpg

Smoked Snack Mix 04.jpg

The Verdict

I will have to get a larger roasting pan so I can double the recipe! The smoke adds a great flavour to the traditional snack mix. The spicy, salty flavour is even better with a touch of smoke that doesn’t overpower the traditional taste. Even She Who Must Be Obeyed liked it and I have permission to do this again. Whew.

Disco

Attachments

• Smoked Snack Mix 02.jpg
    Smoked Snack Mix 02.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Looks great disco! We love snack mixes like this. This is a must try for me. Looks like I'll be putting the needed items on my new years snack list!

I love this stuff . One of the first things I smoked from here . Nice work Disco .

SWMBO has made snack mix for Christmas gifts for her family for about ever. I would be sore afraid to even suggest any changes to her methods. You are a brave man, Disco.

Looks good Disco, I like adding some goldfish crackers to mine.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: pa42phigh
Looks great disco! We love snack mixes like this. This is a must try for me. Looks like I'll be putting the needed items on my new years snack list!

Thanks, Sowsage. This a standard old snack mix recipe. I just smoked it!

I love this stuff . One of the first things I smoked from here . Nice work Disco .

Thanks, Chopsaw! I'm glad I finally tried it.

Will definitely give it a whirl, love the snack mix.

Thanks, Winterrider. It definitely adds a nice taste.

SWMBO has made snack mix for Christmas gifts for her family for about ever. I would be sore afraid to even suggest any changes to her methods. You are a brave man, Disco.

Har! Not as brave as you think, Braz! I put on a flak jacket, goggles and a helmet. Then I asked fro permission from under the bed!

Looks good Disco, I like adding some goldfish crackers to mine.

Point for sure
Chris

Thanks, Chris! I love foodies. I have several new ideas for additions and Goldfish sound great!

Looks easy and. delicious!!! Gonna have to give this a try. Thanks for sharing :)

It has to be easy, I made it! Thanks for the kind words.

Every year we make snack mix as part of our Christmas Tradition. You shouldn’t mess with tradition. However, I have a defective synapse or something that makes me want to try new things. I decided to make this year’s snack mix in my Traeger Timberline smoker. I know you guys have been doing this forever but this did not totally please She Who Must Be Obeyed. She wanted the snack mix we make every year and I have been afraid to try smoking it.

I have only been afraid of two people in my life, Mom and She Who Must Be Obeyed. This year, I solved her concerns and protected my vital parts by making a batch in the oven and another in the smoker.

Note the recipe calls for square non sweet cereal. What I use is determined by what is available here in the Canadian Rockies. Any unsweetened Chex cereal will work as will Kelloggs Crispix. I have even added some Cherios for a different shape. However, sweetened cereals don’t work in my opinion.

I preheated my smoker to 250 F. I put the following in a large bowl:

• 175 ml (3/4 cup) mixed nuts
  • 175 ml (3/4 cup) pretzel sticks
  • 175 ml (3/4 cup) garlic bagel chips
  • 1.75 L (7 cups) of square nonsweet cereal (I used 4 cups rice chex and 3 cups Crispix cereal)
I put 60 ml (4 1/2 tablespoon) butter in a large roasting pan and put it in the smoker to melt (about 10 minutes).

I added the following to the butter and stirred:

• 35 ml (1 3/4 tablespoon) Worcestershire sauce
  • 3 ml (0.5 tsp) garlic powder
  • 6 ml (1 1/4 teaspoon) seasoned salt
  • 2 ml (1/3 teaspoon) onion powder
I put the cereal mix in the pan and carefully turned and flipped to coat.

View attachment 425063

I cooked the mix for 1 hours, stirring and turning every 15 minutes.

Bring the mix in and let it cool completely.

View attachment 425065

Store in an airtight container.

View attachment 425066

View attachment 425067

The Verdict

I will have to get a larger roasting pan so I can double the recipe! The smoke adds a great flavour to the traditional snack mix. The spicy, salty flavour is even better with a touch of smoke that doesn’t overpower the traditional taste. Even She Who Must Be Obeyed liked it and I have permission to do this again. Whew.

Disco

This looks great, Disco. I’ve done a smoked snack mix once, and it was pretty tasty.

What temp did you run your Traeger at?

Looks good. So many options to add. Goldfish, Ranch Crispers, Bugles plus spices. Our recipe is heavy on dill. My wife isn’t a fan of hot spicy so we add Dill instead.

Reactions: chopsaw
What a fantastic idea - I simply must try this!!! My hubby likes ketchup chips...I wonder how they would taste smoked?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky