Smoked & Seared Tomahawks For A Friend In Need (Heavy Q-View)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
A very close friend is going through a rough time. She's extremely active for starters so this lock down has taken it's toll. She's also going through a divorce from an alcoholic husband, which has been really hard on her. She just needed to get out, see some people, and do something to take her mind off all the stuff that's going on. She and Tracy did their annual plant shopping trip yesterday where they start early, hit a bunch of nurseries, and torch the credit cards. When Tracy told me they were going I invited Lori to join us for dinner afterward and I'd make her a nice dinner. She exuberantly accepted so I gave her a choice of proteins. She chose tomahawks.

Started the day by making a loaf of cranberry apple walnut bread.
001.jpg

Steaks defrosted. The numbers are the weight in pounds / ounces
002.jpg

Seasoned up with a nice dose of my beef rub
003.jpg

Lori brought a big bowl of her incredible guac and corn salsa. this stuff is SO good!!
004.jpg

Steaks after an hour and a half on the Rec Tec at low heat / extreme smoke
005.jpg

Steaks all done and in the house resting
006.jpg

Slice one of them up for starters
007.jpg

My ever-present executive chef
009.jpg

Made some garlic mashes potatoes, beef gravy, croissants, and Lori also contributed a really nice salad. The whole spread
012.jpg

013.jpg

Close up of the steaks
014.jpg

My first plate. Don't let what appears to be a small amount of steak fool you. After slicing that steak it was over 2# of meat.
015.jpg

Now we move to dessert. For all you cheese heads out there, this may intrigue you
016.jpg

Desserts plated. The cranberry apple walnut bread sliced, warmed up, topped with caramel rum sauce, and a side of ice cream
018.jpg

019.jpg

My original plan was to go all-out and make a 5-course, 5-star meal but decided to scale it back and keep it a bit more low key. That turned out to be a good move. This was more than enough food and it afforded me the opportunity to really focus on what was served and dial it in nicely. All in all, an excellent meal. Everybody was pretty much done in by the time we finished. Most importantly Lori got a nice little reprieve from the mountain of woes she's had to deal with.

I didn't think I'd get around to posting this but my good friend Ray ( sawhorseray sawhorseray ) basically threatened me with life and limb if I didn't get it out here :emoji_laughing: Tracy is out taking the fat dog for a really long walk so thought I better get this done while I could. Being that we lost yesterday for our weekend chores due to Tracy being gone all day, today is full playing catch-up. Now I gotta go get some pepperoni on the smoker I made yesterday. Thanks for dropping in and y'all have a great rest of the weekend!!

Robert

This is a wonderful way to help a frind in need. Tough time to be going through a divorce.

The meal looks great! Good work my friend.

Wow! Any men on base when you hit that one out of the park Robert? I might have to consider moving near you just so I could be a friend in need occasionally. Kudos on another culinary masterpiece Robert, and stop calling your puppy fat! Huge LIKE! RAY

Very generous. Nothing like a great Steak Dinner, with friends, to take your mind off your problems. Well, Bourbon works too...JJ

Wow! Great looking meal! I'm glad sawhorseray sawhorseray threatened you if you didn't post this. That steak looks fabulous, and as you know I love mashed taters and gravy. Even better yet is what you two gave your friend, a day away from everything.

Ryan

This is a wonderful way to help a frind in need. Tough time to be going through a divorce.

The meal looks great! Good work my friend.

Thank you Dave, and you're correct. It's never a good time to go through a divorce but even worse now when you can't get out to do anything to take your mind off the situation.

Robert

Wow! Any men on base when you hit that one out of the park Robert?

Thank you Ray and yes. There were pretty ladies on first and second as well as a fat dog on third trying to waddle home to get a bone :emoji_laughing:

I might have to consider moving near you just so I could be a friend in need occasionally.

Well come on over!! Everybody "needs" a good meal once in a while.

Kudos on another culinary masterpiece Robert, and stop calling your puppy fat! Huge LIKE!

Thank you sir but for starters, it's not my puppy. That's Tracy's dog through and through. The only time she wants anything to do with me is when I'm playing with food....and you know the old saying: if the shoe fits....that dog looks like a 55 gallon drum on short little legs

Robert

Last edited:
Reactions: sawhorseray
What a great looking meal. Nice job.

Thanks so much. Not nearly as involved as some I've done but still really good.

Oh... you are SO NOT helping my waist line :emoji_smile: :emoji_blush::emoji_sunglasses:

You're good here. The CPB is much leaner thus a healthier beef option. I'm looking out for you....and your waistline :emoji_laughing:

Robert

Fantastic lookin' meal buddy!

And nice one on helping a friend out...

I am in on the leftovers. :emoji_laughing:

Thanks so much John. You're in luck. We only ate one of the steaks. got another one ready to go along with a couple big slices of prime rib from a couple weeks ago. Pack Sue up and come to visit!!

Robert

Reactions: Smokin' in AZ
Very generous. Nothing like a great Steak Dinner, with friends, to take your mind off your problems. Well, Bourbon works too..

Very much appreciate it Jimmy but you know it doesn't take much for me to put together a decent meal for folks. Got a question though. I started the afternoon with a couple of barley pops then switched to margaritas. Does tequila work ILO bourbon?

Sure hope so....
Robert

Wow! Great looking meal! I'm glad sawhorseray sawhorseray sawhorseray sawhorseray threatened you if you didn't post this. That steak looks fabulous, and as you know I love mashed taters and gravy. Even better yet is what you two gave your friend, a day away from everything.

Thank you very much Ryan. I kept the meal minimalist so I could pay attention to each aspect of it. Steaks came out really well but I could have eaten a wheelbarrow full of those taters and gravy. Lori's salad was off the charts too...but I'm a HUGE fan of mashed taters and gravy also.

In addition to giving Lori a reprieve for the afternoon it was just great to see her again. It'd been a while with everything she's had going on. Sure was nice to see her relax, eat well, and share a bunch of laughs. Kind of a mini vacation for her.

Robert

And since I can only remember one thing at a time...your dessert looked great too! Think I would eat it first tho to make sure I had room.

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky