Smoked & Seared Texas T-Bone (Q-View)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
So I posted the thread about the CPB Shortlin roast I got and cut into t-bones. Got some amazingly positive feedback (thank you all!!) and folks wanted to see a finished product. Did one Sunday evening and it came out fantastic. Cooked it on the Rec Tec. Started with 90 minutes at low temp / extreme smoke, pulled and let cool, then seared it at 500 degrees until done.

The steak: 1 3/4 pound. This I believe would actually classify as a Porterhouse
001.jpg

Seasoned up with Jeff's Texas Rub (it only made sense). Please note that the plate under the steak is a full sized dinner plate and the steak is bigger than the plate.
002.jpg

Onto the Rec Tec
004.jpg

Here we are after an hour and a half at low temp with heavy smoke
006.jpg

Doing loaded baked taters too so cooked and chopped up some homemade bacon for the taters
007.jpg

Oh baby!! Lookin' good so far
009.jpg

Plated with the loaded tater and some heart of palm salad. This is actually plated on a serving platter. No way was it gonna fit on a standard dinner plate.
010.jpg

And the cut view. Nailed it!! This is Tracy's loin side. I got the strip side which was thicker and a bit more pink
012.jpg

After years of rebelling, I am now totally sold on t-bones and/or porterhouses. This was without question the very best steak either of us has ever eaten. Wifey raved all through dinner and was still raving about it last night. Any of y'all can come get the tomahawks and boneless rib eyes I have in the freezer. Although still outstanding steaks, they pale by comparison to this one. Matter of fact, Tracy told me I need to get back in line for another case of these. The case that I got last week is being split with our good friend Zach ( Misplaced Nebraskan Misplaced Nebraskan ) but I'm supposed to keep both roasts from the next order. Might need to get another freezer though. The current ones are pretty well loaded up.

I'm gonna call this one done. Thanks again for dropping in. see y'all on the next installment.

Robert

Steak looks killer!! I love good T bone or porterhouse. I see you really like the hearts of palm salad too.

Perfect doneness on that steak Robert! I would definitely consider that a porterhouse with that much loin on it.

We used to have T-bones pretty regularly but they never had that much loin on them at all.

Definitely hit that one out of the park!

Boy howdy Robert, that's one gorgeous T-bone! The size of the tenderloin side would sure get it to pass as a porterhouse in my estimation, that's the real deal. RAY

Looks totally amazing Robert! Done to perfection! Normally I'd say thats a great looking plate... but in this case... that's a great looking platter right there.

Ryan

Outstanding Robert!

Thanks Jim!!

Steak looks killer!! I love good T bone or porterhouse. I see you really like the hearts of palm salad too.

Thank you Jeff, and yes. We really like the heart of palm salad. that was actually left over from the day before. Made that as a table offering when we went to visit a couple friends for dinner....along with that amazing dressing.

Perfect doneness on that steak Robert! I would definitely consider that a porterhouse with that much loin on it.

Thanks Joe. Appreciate the commentary. It does in fact qualify as a porterhouse. Just got the inside scoop on the difference between them and a t-bone.

Robert

your killin me Robert! Man that looks like perfection!

Thanks so much Dave, but honestly, I didn't man to hurt you buddy :emoji_wink:

That is a perfect looking meal Robert! Like!

Appreciate it Steve. Once again though I was reliant on my instant read thermometer. Wasn't gonna chance messing this one up.

The size of the tenderloin side would sure get it to pass as a porterhouse in my estimation

It absolutely does qualify, and thank you for the kind words my friend. According to the NAMP it must have a minimum of 1.25 inches on the loin side to qualify as a porterhouse. This one was WAY more than that.

Yep, that's a Porterhouse fo'sure

Thanks Chile!! After reading your comment a little while ago I did a bit of research and you are 100% correct...as usual :emoji_wink:

Robert

Looks totally amazing Robert! Done to perfection! Normally I'd say thats a great looking plate... but in this case... that's a great looking platter right there.

Hee hee...thanks Ryan. you're right about the platter statement. Heck, I didn't even know where to find the platter. Had to get Tracy to find it for me. Filled it up though and we ate every last bite, right doen to Bianca getting the bone.

That's one hell of a steak my friend. Perfect doneness. Just beautiful.

Very much appreciate it John. With steaks that large I've come to rely on my thermometer. I'd hate to botch one of these up.

Looks good, Robert!

Thanks so much Derek!! Appreciate it. Have you decided on what to do with your beer can turkey? You got a lot of attention with that thread and some good ideas.

Great job.

Thanks so much!!

Robert

Porter - T-bone, whatever it wants to be called looks like perfection. Excellent work Robert.
Like. . .

That looks awesome Robert. Perfect on the temp for my tastes. Wish I was having steak for supper. Fridge is full of things for Thanksgiving so we are in take out pizza mode I guess

Looks great, try it sometime without searing, you might just like it lol

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky