Smoked Salmon Patties

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
Growing up, salmon patties were a regular on my family's menu, my dad loved them and it was cheap to make. But he always made them with canned salmon. Both my wife and I like them, but fresh salmon is better so why not smoked salmon? I had some fresh frozen Coho from a fishing trip to Alaska so here I go...

Thawed out some skin-on fillets...
thumbnail (0).jpg

Removed the rib bones, brushed with EVOO and seasoned with course salt and pepper...
thumbnail (1).jpg

Onto the Weber with a maple split for smoke...
thumbnail (2).jpg

Smoked at about 325℉-350℉ or so until the fillets flaked easily, maybe 15minutes, and removed...
thumbnail (3).jpg

Flaked the fillets, removing pin bones and skin, and allowed to cool some while I gathered up the rest of the ingredients...
thumbnail (4).jpg

Chop the peppers and onion and sauté in EVOO until tender. I used about 1/2 of each pepper...
thumbnail (5).jpg

In a large bowl, mix the peppers, onions, 1/2 cup or so of Duke's mayo, 4 beaten eggs, juice from 1 lemon, a couple of TBSP's of Worcestershire, 1 TBSP of J.O.'s #1 or more to taste, 1 TBSP of cracked black pepper and some course salt, and 1 cup of panko bread crumbs. If the mixture is too dry, add some more mayo, if too wet, add more panko. It should form patties that will hold together. I used a heaping 1/4 cup measuring cup to scoop out the mixture into balls which I flattened into about 3/4" thick patties to pan fry...
thumbnail (6).jpg
thumbnail (7).jpg

Pan fried in EVOO and butter until browned on both sides...
thumbnail (10).jpg
thumbnail (11).jpg

I made some tartar sauce by combining about 1/2 cup of Duke's mayo, 1 TBSP Dijon mustard, a chopped garlic dill pickle, some chopped capers, a dash or 2 of Worcestershire, 1 TBSP fresh lemon juice, 1 tsp dried dill, and salt & pepper. Served with corn and a basic tossed salad on the side...
thumbnail (9).jpg

Adding some cayenne will put a little heat into these as will J.O.'s #2, but with the grandchildren here, I omitted that. The fresh frozen salmon fillets are a welcomed change to this meal as is smoking them. But that's the last of my salmon so I guess next year another fishing trip may be on the schedule...:emoji_wink:

Ah, beautiful! I never thought I’d say this, but you’ve convinced me…I need to make some salmon patties! Great work, and better job getting a need to go on another fishing trip!!!

Man oh man those look good. Excellent job on the cakes and a great step-by-step. Given an opportunity, I'd be all over a couple of those.

Robert

Dang those look good!
We eat salmon all the time, but have never made salmon patties!
Well I guess after seeing yours we will be making some too!
Al

Ah, beautiful! I never thought I’d say this, but you’ve convinced me…I need to make some salmon patties! Great work, and better job getting a need to go on another fishing trip!!!
I'm ready to go back to Alaska to fish, it's really an amazing trip. Thanks for the compliment...
Looks delicious
Thank you, Peachey, I appreciate it...
Looks good, but I think I would have taste tested all the smoked salmon during the making and would have only been able to make one or two patties.....lol,
Now you just know that I had to taste test the salmon... :emoji_grinning: Can't be feeding people something that isn't fit to eat...:emoji_wink:
Man oh man those look good. Excellent job on the cakes and a great step-by-step. Given an opportunity, I'd be all over a couple of those.

Robert
Thank you, Robert...
Love me some Salmon patties. And yours are out of this world!
Jim
Thank you, Jim...
Dang those look good!
We eat salmon all the time, but have never made salmon patties!
Well I guess after seeing yours we will be making some too!
Al
Al, they're really easy to make and you can use your favorite flavors on the fish...
Oh Yeah!!
Those Look Awesome!!
Like.

Bear
Thank you, Bear. I appreciate the kind words...
Great looking meal. Thanks for the pictures and recipe. Added to my to-do list .... after I get through making my liquid refreshments - 5 gal of red wine and 10 gal of peanut butter chocolate stout. 🍻
John
John, looks like you have your hands full with the adult beverage making. Thank you for your compliments, I try to make my cooking posts easy for others to do if they choose to try them...

Reactions: Wurstmeister
Heck yeah bud I grew up on salmon patties. Love them but have never had fresh. Gonna change that soon!
Jake, I can't even begin to tell you how many times we ate them because it was a cheap meal to fix and my dad loved them, but I think it was mostly because it was cheap...:emoji_wink: The fresh salmon can be baked first, but we all love to smoke stuff, just a little more time consuming...

Jake, I can't even begin to tell you how many times we ate them because it was a cheap meal to fix and my dad loved them, but I think it was mostly because it was cheap...:emoji_wink: The fresh salmon can be baked first, but we all love to smoke stuff, just a little more time consuming...
Just showed this to Emily and we are making them tomorrow. Will be a Cajun flair to ours.......stand by lol

• Love
Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Like Jake I grew up in them and love them. I’ve noticed made them from fresh salmon either. Will have to try it.

Reactions: TNJAKE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky