Smoked Salmon for the first time Ever!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lantzy75

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 21, 2016
Ontario, Canada
I smoked some salmon yesterday for the first time ever, and I have to say, it turned out fantastic! It wasn't a huge chunk, I didn't want to use a bigger piece in case I messed things up. I cured it overnight, and used oak pellets in my Amazen pellet smoker. Here are some pics! And the last picture is next to a piece of packaged smoked salmon from Ikea for comparison.
20180318_124111_HDR.jpg
20180318_124111_HDR.jpg
20180318_194600_HDR.jpg

I like smoked salmon. That looks pretty good and getting me hungry. If you don't mind a mild sweet taste. Try using real maple syrup for a glaze while its going. They come out nice and tasty. Good luck on your next batch you do.

Reactions: lantzy75
Looks great to me!
I've smoked more Salmon and Fish in my life than anything else.

I recently did a batch using Bear's Method, then vacuum packed it with a sprinkle of dill and a light brushing of lemon juice.
I Sous Vide it and it is wonderful!

Looks great. What temp?
Yes, what temp? This looks maybe like a cold smoke? In the last pic, is yours the slice on the left? If so, do you have any pics of your chunk of Salmon after the smoke but before the slice?

Last edited:
Yes, what temp? This looks maybe like a cold smoke? In the last pic, is yours the slice on the left? If so, do you have any pics of your chuck of Salmon after the smoke but before the slice?
It was a cold smoke. I used the Amazen Pellet smoker with a full tray of oak pellets. My chunk was on the right in the last picture. That was before we sliced it up.

What kind of cure or brine did you use? Wet brine? Details about cures and brines are always welcomed around here. Always wanting to try new recipes.

Wow that looks great! I plan to smoke a salmon fillet later in the year when the stores are selling Copper River salmon. You said you cured it overnight. What kind of cure--dry or wet? How long did you smoke it? And...IKEA really charges for smoked salmon that looks like that?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky