Smoked Salmon Candy w/ Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Stan,

Skin off works very well too. It takes the cure better actually, and I've never had it fall apart, this is really firm meat. For me it really depends on where I'm sourcing my fish. Costco's Atlantic comes skinless, and I use that for Lox and they turn out beautifully. These came from my local grocer that was having a sale, and it came skin, scales and all. I have taken the cured skin after eating the salmon, and browned it on the BBQ or under the broiler, and it is quite tasty!

The best I've made was Copper River Sockeye, which has a very short season in July. If you can get some of that, it rocks!

SD
Thinking Fireball on salmon
drool.gif
Pricing Salmon all the time and want it fresh and be in the mood to get it done. Good job!

Trying this recipe now, however, I really want to try the green curry tofu w/smoked salmon recipe.  Can you share that as well.  Very creative!

I followed your recipe/method pretty close, but with some changes based on what I had on hand.  If anyone's interested, just search for "salmon candy."  Thanks for posting this.  It's my preferred method for fish so far!!!

Last edited:

You waiting on Wes W or me on why I wonder why he is using double pink salt recommended?
I was wondering why pink salt was being used at all. I have never used it with salmon and I don't know anyone else who regularly smokes salmon who does either. Are you expecting to store it for an extended length of time? 

I figured he used a cure for added safety, because he cold smoked for 4hrs & then brought the fish up to a 135 internal temp. only.

I started using a cure this season when I do fish also for the same reason, many times my smokes are low & slow  even for fish.

I've seen smokers on this site  who stay with the 40 to 140 in 4 rule with meat , then take 6 or more hrs. with fish at smoker temps. 140 or lower with salt only, for both salmon candy & fish jerky. 

Last edited:
Great recipe!

I just got making a couple pounds of this today. My only regret was not making more. Man is it good!

I used my AMNPS and cold smoked for about 2 hours before turning the heat to 150. It took a little over an hour to bring the fish to 135.

Once again thanks for the story and recipe.

Cold smoker?  

Get an AMNPS from www.amazenproducts.com.

Get a tall cardboard box or tape a couple together.  Put some rods or coat hangers across it inside to set your racks on (or some contraption).

Cut a hole in the top and one in the bottom.

Instant cold smoker.

Maybe a dumb question but, If i smoke 3-4 lbs of salmon just cut this recipe in half? I know the cure would  be cut down. Thanks

Hey Farwest, Thanks for your interest. consider making the whole batch. it won't stay around as long as you will hope it to.

but if you make a half, I would probably cut the recipe down as well, although, I have used a smaller amount of fish to the full cure and had great results. the flesh is so moist and it cure so quickly that I have found I like using a bit more cure to fish than posted. Also, I do use cure 1 mainly because I am cold smoking, and I store it in my fridge, cryovaced for months without any issues.

Have fun, and let me know how you like it!

SmokeyDokey

SmokeyDokey,

I answered that because since this thread was a couple years old, I didn't know if you would catch it.

I made it short, so you could elaborate on my Yes. Sorry for jumping in on your thread.

Bear

Thanks for the reply guys, I will let you know how it goes. I had a little over 4 lbs of steelhead I caught last year.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky