Smoked Ribeye - A Little differently

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

baja traveler

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Apr 28, 2012
San Diego, Ca
Today I tried something different. At Christmas I got an Annova water immersion Sous Vide cooker. Having read that 4 hours in the water bath @ 130 degrees gives a fantastically juicy and tender steak, I tried it on several thick cut New York Strips, and the wife now wants it that way all the time. I personally would rather have the steak spend 4 hours in the smoker, but the wife thinks otherwise.

So today, I picked up two beautiful thick ribeye steaks - and I put them in the cold smoker with Mesquite pellets for an hour. Then bagged them up and put them in the Sous Vide bath for 4 hours - then did a reverse sear in my cast iron. (I only did this sear once in the house - now it is always done outside so the house doesn't get all smoked up).

The results were very good, just a hint of smoke, juicy and tender , and done to a perfect medium the way I like it. Next time I'll try the cold smoke for two hours to see the effect.

That looks good and sounds like a good idea. I know a lot of folks on here have been doing sous vide lately.

As for the sear in the house, yeah, bad idea here as well, the vent in the kitchen isn't good enough for that!

Great looking steak!

As for the sear, I started doing it with a propane torch.

It's quicker, no mess, & it really gets the fat crispy without cooking the meat.

Al

Yep, I go with the torch also. Place steaks in a hot skillet with butter and oil while hitting it with the flame. As you can see no smoke. After searing I smoke it using a hand held smoke generator for a couple minutes, then serve.

Tom

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky