smoked raccoon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I don't think the 3-2-1 method would work. Maybe a 2-1-.5,wouldn't want it to get mushy
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

I got the trap set up and baited with pb&j sandwich, a hotdog, and some dog food. I figure hes been eating my dogs food since its right under that eave. All its gotta do is climb down the pecan tree and go right through the doggy door to an unlimited supply of dog chow. No wonder its so fat.

Low,
The hide on that thing is worth about 30 bucks. sounds to me like a good way to finance your smoking habit.
SMM

In a live trap.. use the cheap sardines. Don't open it all the way up, unless you want to feed it. Crack it open and fold it back enough for the smell to get out good. You'll have a coon.. or skunk... by morning.

Oh yeah.. he might be a little preturbed. Cover it with an old blanket if you're gonna transport it away somewhere else.. and be careful when you open the trap if he's real mad. Most of the time they run off.

Be careful once you catch him. They can get really nasty. Sharp little claws and teeth. Unfortunately, they usually seem to get a fatal case of lead poisoning...hollowpoint.

Cowgirl, as many coyotes as there is in that part of the country, I just figgured you were catching them with a dip net.

I bet a dip net would work goat! It would have to have a looooong handle.
biggrin.gif

low&slow, did you catch it yet?

No, the little booger eluded capture last night. Im trying again tonight with sardines.

I read on another forum about a guy who swore that "dried prunes" were the ticket to catching coons. He said they could not resist them.

marshmellows and anything fruity smelling works great. i always have 2 or 3 bags of marshmellows in my truck when im running my trapline. the fruity smell will also cut down on catching other animals that you dont want. if that dont work pick up a small bottle of fish oil from gander mountain and use that with the marshmellows.

My uncle used to bait his trap with a half an apple. He used the other half chopped up int the stuffing. Baked @ 275* for about 3 hours as I recall. You really need to bake it on a rack in the pan because it's so greasy. I never have smoked one though.

Cowgirl, the best-bar none- coyote bait is a dead beaver, but then I bet there aren't many beavers in beaver county, are there?

Whatever the coyote doesn't chew up, throw it on your smoker. It tastes awful beefy.

I never thought of coon as tasting like goose, but ya know, I think you're right.
PDT_Armataz_01_28.gif

I see your hand up Steve, so I'll call on you.
icon_smile.gif

I would recommend a .22 cal. CB long. At that close range you don't really want anything that might go clear through the animal and do damage to other things or animals, and the CB long has plenty to get the job done. The CB long makes a louder noise when it hits it's target than what it does when it's fired. sounds about like a twig snapping. The wife and neighbors don't even need to know why the little varmint disappeared.

I use them to dispatch vermin in my backyard. Given their low velocity, they're a good more accurate than most non-match grade .22 amo

I live trap coon that insist on entering the pet door into the garage by using the cheapest canned cat food I can find. Open one of the small cans and put it in the far end of the trap. They can't resist. They also poop all over and make a mess while in the trap, stinky. And don't get your fingers too close, they WILL bite. Had one bite the end off a finger on a leather work glove. Fortunately, it was longer than my finger.
PDT_Armataz_01_23.gif

Then, I either relocate them or deliver them to a friend who raises national champion coon dogs for "training purposes".
If you relocate them the MO Dept of Conservation says take them at least two miles away.
Or, you can skin em out and sell the pelt, eat the coon. Greasy though.
PDT_Armataz_01_03.gif

They are getting scarce Okie! One hangs out at the small lake where I like to camp....there are only about 4 shade trees left, the beaver has gnawed down the rest of them...(there weren't that many to begin with
icon_lol.gif
)

Your racoon recipe sounds interesting. I've only had them cooked in an underground pit.

Glad you made it through last night's storm. It Looked bad in your area. I lost some neighbors to a tornado this summer....it's not a fun thing to go through.

I've trapped a few here in Houston and you aint far away. A buddy told me eggs were good bait and I caught the first one that way. But by accident leaving some grapes out one day I saw the coons come running out of the trees in the middle of the day to steal those. So I've baited with grapes ever since and they cannot resist them. I swear a raccoon will cross fire to get to green grapes.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky