Smoked Pulled Beef Chucky (Step by Step)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Let us know how it turns out. Personally smoked chuck is one of my favorites (I've done dozens) and I'm always interested in more info.

Walt
I sure will . Just learned that my suspicion of my TP-20 is justified . Bad probe . After I juiced and foiled , I T dropped to 138 ( that was the reading ) Then read 170 . thought it was on the climb . Got busy , just looked . 162 ,,, went outside , I could tell by the smell it was ready . Instant read ,,, 210 , 211 went in with no effort . On the counter with a towel over it . Hope I didn't dry it out . Still foiled , but this thing smells fantastic . Post results later .

This is Fantastic ! I tried this once before and didn't cook it long enough . Bear , once again ,,, good guide line to go by . I followed this one to the letter but my foil sauce was beef broth worsey and red wine . Thats what I had .
20180423_184436.jpg 20180423_184807.jpg

Reactions: Bearcarver
This is Fantastic ! I tried this once before and didn't cook it long enough . Bear , once again ,,, good guide line to go by . I followed this one to the letter but my foil sauce was beef broth worsey and red wine . Thats what I had .
View attachment 361683 View attachment 361684

View attachment 361683 View attachment 361684
Looks pretty darn good from here.
How was the texture...curious how much over shooting the temp effected it.
I turned a butt roast to mush once by over cooking...the taste was spot on but it was almost like "meat pudding" lol...
I really appreciate Bears recipes and step by steps and refrence them often. He always recommends wooshey sauce with his chuck which I really like but I tend to be partial to A-1 steak sauce...very similar results. And chef JJ has an au jus recipe for brisket that's pretty awesome with chuckies too.
The combined experience and recipe base here is amazing.

Walt.

Reactions: chopsaw
How was the texture...curious how much over shooting the temp effected it.
It was perfect . A small part of the end was a little dry , but the rest was spot on . Not mushy at all . My sandwich was meat and bun . Didn't need anything else .

Oh Yeah!!
Looks Great Rich!
Glad it worked good for you!

Bear

I've been in the mood for some pulled beef for a while, and Winco had chuckies for $2.98 lb this week.
I'm going by Bear's instructions, with a couple of minor differences.
One, I didn't have a small enough rack to fit inside the pan, so I'm holding it up with some celery ribs instead.
Two, I again used Thick & Hearty A-1 instead of thick worcestershire, which I cannot find here.
And three, I bought a little, 2nd-hand Smokin' It model 1 recently, that I've been wanting to try out. (First chunk of pecan combusted and shot the temp up early on. 2nd try with a chunk of sugar maple partially covered in foil went much better.)
Anywho, including fooling around with the wood, my 4.5 lb chuckie hit 165° in a little over 4 hours. It's foiled now with the apple juice & worcestershire, and cruising right along.
Pics!
20180805_174735.jpg

20180805_180311.jpg

1 can of beer to the left of the element, for moisture.
20180806_065622.jpg

Here it is at 165°.
20180806_110448.jpg

Last edited:
Hmmm. Foiled at 165°, and the IT hit 210° about 1 hour & 15 minutes later. That seems pretty quick. Anyway it is in the cooler, wrapped in towels for now.

mneeley490, that is one hunk of a Chuck roast, I am aniously awaiting your final results, as I have had my chuckie battles of late.

Sounds Great MN !!
All Lea & Perrins did was change the name from "Worcestershire Thick" to "Lea & Perrins Bold & Spicy Steak Sauce".
It's the exact same stuff.

Bear

Okay, my phone finally got around to sending the pics to my computer.

Here it is done. Once again, the lighting in my kitchen sucks. It looked much more appetizing than this.
20180806_173330.jpg

20180806_175303.jpg

Plated with some bbq sauce.
20180806_180422.jpg

It was not tough, came out with about the same consistency as my pulled pork. Flavor was very good, and there was enough bark to give it some texture. I'd definitely go this route again. Thanks again, Bear, for another great recipe.

Oh Yeah!!
Gotta Love Pulled Beef Sammies!!
Nice Job MN!!

Bear

Came out good . Once you get it figured out , it's hard not to do them like that .

Smoked Pulled Beef Chucky

This is a New Step by Step for my collection:

Mrs Bear had a small (3.02 LB) Chuck Roast in the Kitchen Freezer, and she said she was going to thaw it out & make it in the Crockpot for Saturday’s Supper.
I dropped back from my Zone Coverage & made a Beautiful Interception for my MES 40. “Crockpot My Butt, I’m Smoking that thing!!!”

So after 2 days of thawing the following actions occurred:

Smoked Pulled Beef Chucky

This is a New Step by Step for my collection:

Mrs Bear had a small (3.02 LB) Chuck Roast in the Kitchen Freezer, and she said she was going to thaw it out & make it in the Crockpot for Saturday’s Supper.
I dropped back from my Zone Coverage & made a Beautiful Interception for my MES 40. “Crockpot My Butt, I’m Smoking that thing!!!”

So after 2 days of thawing the following actions occurred:

Day #1 (Prepping)
3:00 PM————Rinse, Pat Dry, coat with Worcestershire “Thick”. Then some CBP, Sea Salt, Garlic Powder, and Onion Powder.
3:10 PM————Put Roast on a Wire Cooling Rack in a Foil Pan, cover with plastic wrap, and put in Fridge overnight.

Day #2 (Smoking)
8:15 AM————Preheat MES 40 to 240°, Fill 2 rows of AMNPS with Hickory Pellets, and light one end.
9:00AM————Put Panned Chucky on second rack, and my Well Lit AMNPS on the bars to left of Chip Burner.
12:00—————Wipe my clean Maverick Meat probe with alcohol pad & insert in center of Roast. Internal Temp is now 148°
12:30PM———-IT is 151°
1:00PM————IT is 153°
1:30PM————IT is 154°
2:00PM————IT is 155°
2:30PM————IT is 160°—-AMNPS burned out, so I added my Foiling Juice (See "Note" Below) & Foiled it 5° early, instead of my usual 165°.
3:00PM————IT is 165°
3:30PM————IT is 180°
4:00PM————IT is 194°
4:15PM————IT is 200°—-Cut heat back to 100° and open door to drop heat in Smoker down below 150° to stop cooking. Close Door.
5:00PM————IT is 208°—-Remove Chucky from smoker, take to kitchen, Uncover & take pics, Pull Chucky apart.

More Pics, make Sammies, More Pics, and Eat. MMMMmmmmmm…………..

Also: Drain Juice from Pan, and put in Fridge to separate over night. Next day cut around the hard fat on top & pop it off to expose Awesome Au Jus.
Then after the first day, all reheated pulled beef gets heated up with some of that Au Jus added as needed.

Note: My Foiling Juice for this was simple:
2 ounces of Worcestershire Sauce (Regular)
4 ounces of Apple Juice.
Stir & Nuke to at least 150° before pouring it over Roast & Covering with Double Foil.

Enjoy & Thanks for looking,

Bear

PS: Anyone following this Step by Step, please leave a comment at the end of this thread, and let me know how it worked for you. Thank You.

Doing this one in a Foil Pan, but on a wire rack to allow Smoke to surround it,
and to keep it from laying in the juices:
View attachment 340549

Chucky Spiced up & Ready for an overnight rest in the fridge:
View attachment 340550

This is how I balance the heat from left to right in my MES 40.
A Maverick probe on each side, and my adjustable heat deflector below.
View attachment 340551

Chucky through the Window:
View attachment 340552

As you can see, I use electrical tape to keep the temp probes from moving inside the smoker:
View attachment 340553

Hard to see, but there is real nice TBS coming from the top vent:
View attachment 340554

Chucky fresh out of the smoker:
View attachment 340555

Pulled Chucky ready for some Sammies:
View attachment 340556

First Sammy with a little of Mrs Bear’s Simple Sauce on the roll:
View attachment 340557

Close-up of the meat for my First Sammy:
View attachment 340558

A slice of Cheese & some Hot Peppers finish this one off nicely:
View attachment 340559

Side view of the Foiling Juice from the Chucky, after removing from the fridge the next day:
View attachment 340561

The Fat in the dish & the Au Jus in the bowl, after cutting around & popping the fat off in one piece:
View attachment 340562

THE END

Day #2 (Smoking)
8:15 AM————Preheat MES 40 to 240°, Fill 2 rows of AMNPS with Hickory Pellets, and light one end.
9:00AM————Put Panned Chucky on second rack, and my Well Lit AMNPS on the bars to left of Chip Burner.
12:00—————Wipe my clean Maverick Meat probe with alcohol pad & insert in center of Roast. Internal Temp is now 148°
12:30PM———-IT is 151°
1:00PM————IT is 153°
1:30PM————IT is 154°
2:00PM————IT is 155°
2:30PM————IT is 160°—-AMNPS burned out, so I added my Foiling Juice (See "Note" Below) & Foiled it 5° early, instead of my usual 165°.
3:00PM————IT is 165°
3:30PM————IT is 180°
4:00PM————IT is 194°
4:15PM————IT is 200°—-Cut heat back to 100° and open door to drop heat in Smoker down below 150° to stop cooking. Close Door.
5:00PM————IT is 208°—-Remove Chucky from smoker, take to kitchen, Uncover & take pics, Pull Chucky apart.

More Pics, make Sammies, More Pics, and Eat. MMMMmmmmmm…………..

Also: Drain Juice from Pan, and put in Fridge to separate over night. Next day cut around the hard fat on top & pop it off to expose Awesome Au Jus.
Then after the first day, all reheated pulled beef gets heated up with some of that Au Jus added as needed.

Note: My Foiling Juice for this was simple:
2 ounces of Worcestershire Sauce (Regular)
4 ounces of Apple Juice.
Stir & Nuke to at least 150° before pouring it over Roast & Covering with Double Foil.

Enjoy & Thanks for looking,

Bear

PS: Anyone following this Step by Step, please leave a comment at the end of this thread, and let me know how it worked for you. Thank You.

Doing this one in a Foil Pan, but on a wire rack to allow Smoke to surround it,
and to keep it from laying in the juices:
View attachment 340549

Chucky Spiced up & Ready for an overnight rest in the fridge:
View attachment 340550

This is how I balance the heat from left to right in my MES 40.
A Maverick probe on each side, and my adjustable heat deflector below.
View attachment 340551

Chucky through the Window:
View attachment 340552

As you can see, I use electrical tape to keep the temp probes from moving inside the smoker:
View attachment 340553

Hard to see, but there is real nice TBS coming from the top vent:
View attachment 340554

Chucky fresh out of the smoker:
View attachment 340555

Pulled Chucky ready for some Sammies:
View attachment 340556

First Sammy with a little of Mrs Bear’s Simple Sauce on the roll:
View attachment 340557

Close-up of the meat for my First Sammy:
View attachment 340558

A slice of Cheese & some Hot Peppers finish this one off nicely:
View attachment 340559

Side view of the Foiling Juice from the Chucky, after removing from the fridge the next day:
View attachment 340561

The Fat in the dish & the Au Jus in the bowl, after cutting around & popping the fat off in one piece:
View attachment 340562

THE END

Day #1 (Prepping)
3:00 PM————Rinse, Pat Dry, coat with Worcestershire “Thick”. Then some CBP, Sea Salt, Garlic Powder, and Onion Powder.
3:10 PM————Put Roast on a Wire Cooling Rack in a Foil Pan, cover with plastic wrap, and put in Fridge overnight.

wow does that ever look good ... i gotta try that for sure , i just a quick question here for you .. just so i understand , while adding your CBP, what which is that , i mean i understand the sea salt garlic powder and onion powder , just not sure of the first one, then you say thick Worcester sauce , ive only ever saw the thin stuff .

again wow that sure looks good , i really like how you showed and talked about the times too .
thank you very much

I ain't Bear but

CBP = Coarse Black Pepper
Thick Worcester has been renamed to Bold Steak Sauce

Day #1 (Prepping)

wow does that ever look good ... i gotta try that for sure , i just a quick question here for you .. just so i understand , while adding your CBP, what which is that , i mean i understand the sea salt garlic powder and onion powder , just not sure of the first one, then you say thick Worcester sauce , ive only ever saw the thin stuff .

again wow that sure looks good , i really like how you showed and talked about the times too .
thank you very much

Thank You Dan!!
CBP = Black Pepper (Crushed, Cracked, or whatever you want to call it).
Lea & Perrins used to sell a "Thick" Worcestershire Sauce.
They still sell it, but they changed the name to "Lea & Perrins Bold & Spicy Steak Sauce". Same stuff, under different name.

As for showing the details in my Smokes,
I do that with all my "Step by Steps":
Just click on "Bear's Step by Steps".

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky