Smoked Pulled Beef Chucky (Step by Step)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hey Bear, looking good as always! I hate to resurrect an old thread, but I love that square wire rack you got. Where did you find a square one and about what are the measurements? That thing fits perfectly in that disposable pan. Gotta get on the Amazon and find me one! Might do my first chuckie this weekend.
Thank You!!

My "Old Step by Steps" are meant to be resurrected.

I call them Wire Cooling racks, but you can also find this size by typing this in a Web search "8" x 10" Half-Size Footed Draining Grate" (8" X 10" is called "Half Size")

Bear

I still fear the Chucky. I've only tried smoking one once and it was a nightmare. But I plan to get back on that horse and ride it victory, most likely next summer. I don't do much smoking during the winter.
Actually I find Chuckies to be about 10 times easier to smoke than Briskets. They're more forgiving, similar to a Boston Butt.

Bear

Thank You!!

My "Old Step by Steps" are meant to be resurrected.

I call them Wire Cooling racks, but you can also find this size by typing this in a Web search "8" x 10" Half-Size Footed Draining Grate" (8" X 10" is called "Half Size")

Bear

Actually I find Chuckies to be about 10 times easier to smoke than Briskets. They're more forgiving, similar to a Boston Butt.

Bear
You're right. A chucky should be the easiest meat in the world to cook, being a boneless chuck roast. But for some reason I chose the chuck roast from hell. It stalled at 160° for something like 10 hours. Seriously. I took it out of the smoker, put in a convection oven for awhile, put it back in the smoker and after TWO days of trying I think I got the IT up to 182° or something. I finished it off again in an oven and it STILL wound up a little tough and chewy in some places. Small little bits teased me with the tenderness that should have permeated throughout the meat.

Of course that was also the smoke where I had to contend with my MES temp shooting up to over 300° because I forgot to clean the hi-temp limit switch beforehand.

You're right. A chucky should be the easiest meat in the world to cook, being a boneless chuck roast. But for some reason I chose the chuck roast from hell. It stalled at 160° for something like 10 hours. Seriously. I took it out of the smoker, put in a convection oven for awhile, put it back in the smoker and after TWO days of trying I think I got the IT up to 182° or something. I finished it off again in an oven and it STILL wound up a little tough and chewy in some places. Small little bits teased me with the tenderness that should have permeated throughout the meat.

Of course that was also the smoke where I had to contend with my MES temp shooting up to over 300° because I forgot to clean the hi-temp limit switch beforehand.
I remember that, and I think it was 90% the problem you were having with your smoker that caused that.

Bear

Smoked Pulled Beef Chucky

This is a New Step by Step for my collection:

Mrs Bear had a small (3.02 LB) Chuck Roast in the Kitchen Freezer, and she said she was going to thaw it out & make it in the Crockpot for Saturday’s Supper.
I dropped back from my Zone Coverage & made a Beautiful Interception for my MES 40. “Crockpot My Butt, I’m Smoking that thing!!!”

So after 2 days of thawing the following actions occurred:

Day #1 (Prepping)
3:00 PM————Rinse, Pat Dry, coat with Worcestershire “Thick”. Then some CBP, Sea Salt, Garlic Powder, and Onion Powder.
3:10 PM————Put Roast on a Wire Cooling Rack in a Foil Pan, cover with plastic wrap, and put in Fridge overnight.

Day #2 (Smoking)
8:15 AM————Preheat MES 40 to 240°, Fill 2 rows of AMNPS with Hickory Pellets, and light one end.
9:00AM————Put Panned Chucky on second rack, and my Well Lit AMNPS on the bars to left of Chip Burner.
12:00—————Wipe my clean Maverick Meat probe with alcohol pad & insert in center of Roast. Internal Temp is now 148°
12:30PM———-IT is 151°
1:00PM————IT is 153°
1:30PM————IT is 154°
2:00PM————IT is 155°
2:30PM————IT is 160°—-AMNPS burned out, so I added my Foiling Juice (See "Note"  Below) & Foiled it 5° early, instead of my usual 165°.
3:00PM————IT is 165°
3:30PM————IT is 180°
4:00PM————IT is 194°
4:15PM————IT is 200°—-Cut heat back to 100° and open door to drop heat in Smoker down below 150° to stop cooking. Close Door.
5:00PM————IT is 208°—-Remove Chucky from smoker, take to kitchen, Uncover & take pics, Pull Chucky apart.

More Pics, make Sammies, More Pics, and Eat. MMMMmmmmmm…………..

Also: Drain Juice from Pan, and put in Fridge to separate over night. Next day cut around the hard fat on top & pop it off to expose Awesome Au Jus.
Then after the first day, all reheated pulled beef gets heated up with some of that Au Jus added as needed.

Note: My Foiling Juice for this was simple:
2 ounces of Worcestershire Sauce (Regular)
4 ounces of Apple Juice.
Stir & Nuke to at least 150° before pouring it over Roast & Covering with Double Foil.

Enjoy & Thanks for looking,

Bear

PS:  Anyone following this Step by Step, please leave a comment at the end of this thread, and let me know how it worked for you. Thank You.

3.02 Pound Chucky @ $3.59 lb was intercepted on the way to the Crockpot !!!!
http://s836.photobucket.com/user/Bearcarver_2009/media/DSCN1553.jpg.html

Doing this one in a Foil Pan, but on a wire rack to allow Smoke to surround it, 
and to keep it from laying in the juices:
http://s836.photobucket.com/user/Bearcarver_2009/media/DSCN1555.jpg.html

Chucky Spiced up & Ready for an overnight rest in the fridge:
http://s836.photobucket.com/user/Bearcarver_2009/media/DSCN1558.jpg.html

This is how I balance the heat from left to right in my MES 40.
A Maverick probe on each side, and my adjustable heat deflector below.
http://s836.photobucket.com/user/Bearcarver_2009/media/DSCN1562.jpg.html

Chucky through the Window:
http://s836.photobucket.com/user/Bearcarver_2009/media/DSCN1563.jpg.html

As you can see, I use electrical tape to keep the temp probes from moving inside the smoker:
http://s836.photobucket.com/user/Bearcarver_2009/media/DSCN1565.jpg.html

Hard to see, but there is real nice TBS coming from the top vent:
http://s836.photobucket.com/user/Bearcarver_2009/media/DSCN1568.jpg.html

Chucky fresh out of the smoker:
http://s836.photobucket.com/user/Bearcarver_2009/media/DSCN1572.jpg.html

Pulled Chucky ready for some Sammies:
http://s836.photobucket.com/user/Bearcarver_2009/media/DSCN1574.jpg.html

First Sammy with a little of Mrs Bear’s Simple Sauce on the roll:
http://s836.photobucket.com/user/Bearcarver_2009/media/DSCN1576.jpg.html

Close-up of the meat for my First Sammy:
http://s836.photobucket.com/user/Bearcarver_2009/media/DSCN1577.jpg.html

A slice of Cheese & some Hot Peppers finish this one off nicely:
http://s836.photobucket.com/user/Bearcarver_2009/media/DSCN1580.jpg.html

Side view of the Foiling Juice from the Chucky, after removing from the fridge the next day:
http://s836.photobucket.com/user/Bearcarver_2009/media/DSCN1581.jpg.html

The Fat in the dish & the Au Jus in the bowl, after cutting around & popping the fat off in one piece:
http://s836.photobucket.com/user/Bearcarver_2009/media/DSCN1582.jpg.html

THE END

That's Great, Catfish!!

Just give me a yell (PM) if you run into a question!

Bear

I remember that, and I think it was 90% the problem you were having with your smoker that caused that.

Bear
With the other 10% being me.

Just looked at your photos. I will indeed climb back onto that chucky saddle and ride again!

Last edited:
Chuck roast is one of my favorite things to smoke.  Makes for great enchiladas, tacos, chili.  I don't fret the stall with chucks.  I have foiled as low as 150 degrees if I'm in a hurry.  Still turns out great.

Chuck roast is one of my favorite things to smoke.  Makes for great enchiladas, tacos, chili.  I don't fret the stall with chucks.  I have foiled as low as 150 degrees if I'm in a hurry.  Still turns out great.
Yup----Good stuff, Them Chuckies!!!

Bear

Bear,
I followed this recipe on technique rather than ingredients because I wanted to make poor man's burnt ends instead of pulling. I just used my rub with no other ingredients. I put the drippings in the fridge over night to separate the fat.

I foiled over the pan at an IT of 160*F, stopped applyimg Pecan Amnps smoke and closed the vent. I turned off the smoker when the Chuckie hit 180*F and left it inside. Over an hour and a half the Chuckie coasted up to 192*F and back down to 180*F. I cubed it at 140*F and added back the gelled drippings. I wanted try a one step smoke method instead of putting everything back in the smoker for more cooking/smoke. The rack and pan method is a great way to generate drippings for finishing sauces without soaking the meat in the juices, washing off the rub/bark. I'll have to start a new thread with a few pics I took.
-Kurt

​
Bear,
I followed this recipe on technique rather than ingredients because I wanted to make poor man's burnt ends instead of pulling. I just used my rub with no other ingredients. I put the drippings in the fridge over night to separate the fat.

I foiled over the pan at an IT of 160*F, stopped applyimg Pecan Amnps smoke and closed the vent. I turned off the smoker when the Chuckie hit 180*F and left it inside. Over an hour and a half the Chuckie coasted up to 192*F and back down to 180*F. I cubed it at 140*F and added back the gelled drippings. I wanted try a one step smoke method instead of putting everything back in the smoker for more cooking/smoke. The rack and pan method is a great way to generate drippings for finishing sauces without soaking the meat in the juices, washing off the rub/bark. I'll have to start a new thread with a few pics I took.
-Kurt
Thanks Kurt !!

I'm glad you like that method---I use the rack in Pan now for my Prime Ribs, Chuckies, Butts, and for Double Smoking Hams for those reasons you like.

I gotta make some of those Chucky Burnt Ends too!!!---Real Soon!

BTW: Thanks for the Points.

Bear

Last edited:
Hey Bear,

Thanks for the recipe. My wife picked up three roast from Sprouts for $2.99 a lb. Best price I have seen them for around here. I followed the recipe pretty closely till I got to the wrapping part. I couldn't find the thick Worcestershire sauce in any of the stores I checked. I wound up just using the regular stuff, but gave it a good coating. Used the recommended spice rub and that worked out great. 

When I wrapped it, I put beef broth and a half bottle of Oktoberfest beer by Sam Adams in it. That also seemed to work out well taste wise. I used a low sodium broth since I was worried it might get a little salty. 

One thing I did notice and you might be able to help me with this. When I got to 205 and checked them they were still tough. I had read on a post where someone said let them go longer, so I put them back in. They got to 210 and stayed there for an hour. I checked and one was ready. The other was still tough so it went two more hours before it was fall apart tender. 

That being said, they were fantastic! My wife said it may be her new favorite. To be honest, she says that a lot when I use your recipes. lol

Thanks again!

Hey Bear,

Thanks for the recipe. You're very Welcome!

My wife picked up three roast from Sprouts for $2.99 a lb. Best price I have seen them for around here. I just got a couple last Friday for that same $2.99 price.

I followed the recipe pretty closely till I got to the wrapping part. I couldn't find the thick Worcestershire sauce in any of the stores I checked. I wound up just using the regular stuff, but gave it a good coating. Used the recommended spice rub and that worked out great.  They changed the name---What used to be Worcestershire "Thick" is now "Lea & Perrins Bold Steak Sauce".

When I wrapped it, I put beef broth and a half bottle of Oktoberfest beer by Sam Adams in it. That also seemed to work out well taste wise. I used a low sodium broth since I was worried it might get a little salty. 

One thing I did notice and you might be able to help me with this. When I got to 205 and checked them they were still tough. I had read on a post where someone said let them go longer, so I put them back in. They got to 210 and stayed there for an hour. I checked and one was ready. The other was still tough so it went two more hours before it was fall apart tender.

203°, 205° or 210°, it depends on the roast. Usually If you can keep it at 205° for awhile, it will get tender without getting the Temp any higher, but anywhere around there should be good. You obviously did real good !!  

That being said, they were fantastic! My wife said it may be her new favorite. To be honest, she says that a lot when I use your recipes. lol

That's Great---I'm glad to hear that !!

Thanks again!
Bear

Last edited:
I love smoked chuck and do it as often as anything else and have experienced the same thing with it a few times...I'm not sure why...
I've had most cook in the expected time frame of 8 hours or less but had a few take as long as 12+ hours to get to that fall apart tenderness.
Makes ya go hmmm...

Walt.

I found a buy one get one free for two 3lb chucks, so I'm going to try this tomorrow. I got the meat prepped, just have to wake up early to put the Chuck's on.

Am I aiming for any IT in particular, or just when it starts falling apart on a fork?

Also for you northerners, any tips on cold weather smoking?

I found a buy one get one free for two 3lb chucks, so I'm going to try this tomorrow. I got the meat prepped, just have to wake up early to put the Chuck's on.

Am I aiming for any IT in particular, or just when it starts falling apart on a fork?

Also for you northerners, any tips on cold weather smoking?

203°, 205° or 210°, it depends on the roast. Usually If you can keep it at 205° for awhile, it will get tender without getting the Temp any higher, but anywhere around there should be good. You obviously did real good !!

As for cold weather, I've used 3 different MES units, and they all work better in cold weather than I do.
Wind is more of a problem than cold. Be great if you can keep it shielded from the wind, whether it's cold or warm out.
Wind can suck the heat right out of your top vent.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky