Smoked Prime Rib (Apple Dust)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
Smoked Prime Rib (Apple Dust)

Mrs Bear said we were about due for a Prime Rib, so how could I argue with that ?!?! I think it’s been almost 7 months since our last Prime Rib!!

I had a 3 Pound, 13 ounce Choice Prime Rib that kept winking at me every time I opened the Meat Freezer.
That weight is what was left after I removed the Bones, when we bought our last batch of Prime Rib on sale.
It was probably over 5 pounds before I removed the bones & some good meat for a future Beef Rib Smoke.

The following is what I did with this Prime Rib.

Prepping (Day #1):—-Rinse, Dry, and cut a block pattern through the fat cap to the meat. Then apply a coating of Lea & Perrin’s Bold Steak Sauce, CBP, Garlic Powder, and Onion Powder. Put Roast on a Wire Cooling Rack in a Foil Pan. Then covered it in Plastic wrap, and put it in my fridge for the night.

Smoking Day (Day #2):
10:00----------Preheat MES 40 to 220°
10:00----------Fill 2 rows of AMNS with Apple Dust, and light one end.
11:00————-Put Roast on #2 position in smoker.(6 rack smoker)
11:00----------Put smoking AMNS on right end of bottom rack in my Gen #2.5
MES 40.
1:00—————-Insert sterile probe into center of Roast. Internal Temp is at 104° IT
1:30—————-114° IT
2:00—————-124° IT
2:30—————-133° IT
3:00—————-138° IT---Cut heat to 140° and open door to get heat down to 140° fast.
3:15—————-140° IT
3:35—————-140° IT— Remove to Kitchen-IT still at 140°.

Slice, plate, add Broccoli & AirFried Tater Wedges, and eat.

This Small Prime Rib was one of my Best, if not another “The Best” of all.

Hope You Enjoy,

Bear

Prepping Prime Rib on wire cooling rack in foil pan. Ingredients shown in back:
IMG_3703.jpg

Prepped & ready for over night in Fridge:
IMG_3704.jpg

One end lit of two rows of Apple Dust. Smoking nicely:
IMG_3708.jpg

Through the Looking Glass. No My Flag is not in the Pan with the Prime Rib:
IMG_3709.jpg

2 Hours in:
IMG_3710.jpg

Done & Ready to pull out of MES:
IMG_3711.jpg

Closer Look:
IMG_3712.jpg

Ready for Slicing:
IMG_3713.jpg

The two Center Slices for our Supper:
IMG_3714.jpg

Bear's Supper, with Broccoli & Tater Wedges made in my AirFryer 360:
IMG_3717.jpg

Thin sliced the rest for Breakfasts & Sammies:
IMG_3718.jpg

Ready for Fridge. You'll be seeing these pieces soon:

IMG_3719.jpg

Nice! You really sliced deep on the fat cap prepping it. At least it looks deeper than your others. I've looked at all your prime rib cooks since I'm doing mine tomorrow.

Mine is tied up so it's going to be a little more challenging cutting into the fat cap but I think I will be able to make a few cuts, it just won't look as neat.

Damm! Looks great. Always impressed at how clean the widow stays. My 30" starts clean but doesnt stay clean very long during the cook.

Bear your certainly eating well these days. That's another perfect plate of Prime. When you intercept the rib package that Vol is sending can you include some of your prime rib when you forward it on.

Point for sure
Chris

EqualShadyAphid-small.gif

Well done Bear! well done indeed. I always look forward to your posts! well, not really. Cause now I am huuuuuungry! hahaha.

As usual. another one knocked out of the park. I think and hope I have a chunk left in my freezer. I will be checking as soon as I get home!

"liked" without hesitation!

Damm! Looks great. Always impressed at how clean the widow stays. My 30" starts clean but doesnt stay clean very long during the cook.
Great looking prime rib...that absolutely looks like it was served from a 4 star restraunt!!
And I need to ask as well....How do you keep the window so clean? My 40" MES starts that way and within 3 hours cant see in it at all!?!

LIKE. Agreed, another great one John. Interesting, as I was not aware you switched to dust.

Wow !! another Home Rune for the Prime Rib King

I "LIKE" it

Gary

Reactions: NU2SMOKE
Nice! You really sliced deep on the fat cap prepping it. At least it looks deeper than your others. I've looked at all your prime rib cooks since I'm doing mine tomorrow.

Mine is tied up so it's going to be a little more challenging cutting into the fat cap but I think I will be able to make a few cuts, it just won't look as neat.

Thank You!!
The top seemed softer than usual, but I think my knife was a little dull, causing me to press harder & smash the little cubes between the cuts. Oh Well--The seasoning got in real good because of that.

Bear

Thanks PAS !!
Yeah, mine usually holds up pretty good on the 4 & 5 hour smokes.
Once I get 6 hours & longer it gets pretty hard to see through the Window!!

Bear

that looks great. what's the point of dropping smoker temp to 140 the last hour or so?

Wow Bear....that looks great. I've always been somewhat of a purist with my prime rib and keep seasonings to a minimum...typically just a bit of salt and pepper. Next weekend I will be cooking and serving a 65 day aged Certified Angus Beef prime rib that I'll cook on the rotisserie of the Santa Maria grill. After reading several of your prime rib posts, and accolades about your prime rib from other members, you have me giving serious thought to violating my rules and seasoning it as you have. It just sounds, and looks to good to pass up and with everybody else raving about it I need to give this some deep thought.

Hmmmm.....
Robert

Bear your certainly eating well these days. That's another perfect plate of Prime. When you intercept the rib package that Vol is sending can you include some of your prime rib when you forward it on.

Point for sure
Chris

Thank You Chris!!
Uh-Oh---I read this too late---It's all gone. Sorry.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

EqualShadyAphid-small.gif

Well done Bear! well done indeed. I always look forward to your posts! well, not really. Cause now I am huuuuuungry! hahaha.

As usual. another one knocked out of the park. I think and hope I have a chunk left in my freezer. I will be checking as soon as I get home!

"liked" without hesitation!

Thank You Sir!!
I hope you found one!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Great looking prime rib...that absolutely looks like it was served from a 4 star restraunt!!
And I need to ask as well....How do you keep the window so clean? My 40" MES starts that way and within 3 hours cant see in it at all!?!

Thank You!!
My Window usually stays see-through for 4 or 5 hours.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

LIKE. Agreed, another great one John. Interesting, as I was not aware you switched to dust.

Thank You Sam!!
I try to use my AMNS with Dust whenever I'm smoking below 200°.
Over 220° calls for my AMNPS with Pellets.
In between 200° and 220° depends on what I'm smoking & my Mood.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky