Smoked Pork Loin with Mahogany Sauce

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Being new to forum, I would like to thank all the contributors. I have tried the mahogany sauce and it just rocks, everyone who has tasted it falls in love with it.. Thanks again

I like the addition of garlic and the whiskey....Gonna mix some up...
439.gif
 Looking forward to trying it...Thanks.

This recipe is very good by itself, however, I added 2 tbl spoons of prepared horseradish and 1-tbl spoon of worcestershire sauce and some hot pepper juice. Gave it a nice and tangy/twangy twist.......You can use dill pickle juice rather than pepper juice if you prefer it less hot....
439.gif

I don't want to change a thing! That sounds wonderful. We eat about three pork loins a month and I'm trying that recipe next time!

Mr. Dutch,

I made this tonight in the oven at 350* (too much snow on the ground to dig out the WSM, we had 14") and it cooked pretty quickly to 155*. I brushed the mahogany sauce afterward and let it bake about 10 more minutes....Let me tell you, this was fantastic. such nice flavor!! This one is a keeper!! Thank you so much for a wonderful recipe!!

appwsmsmkr1

I stole your Mahogany Sauce recipe!  It has now become known around me house as "Harry's Better-than-sex" sauce.

?? Question??

After you take out two tbls of Jack Daniels, what do you do with the rest of it?

Local butcher was having one heck of a sale on pork loin, so we bought 20-something pounds. We cut some roasts and 10 pairs of chops out of most of it, but kept one-half of one of the loins intact, leaving me in search of some inspiration.

Don, as soon as I read your recipe, I knew I found it.

While I stuck, pretty much, to your recipe, I did make a few minor changes. I omitted the whiskey from the sauce (I used grape jam, BTW). While the sauce was reducing, I tasted it and it needed... something, possibly because of the whiskey omission. I squeezed in the juice of one small lemon, re-tasted, and that was it.

The reason I dropped the whiskey: For smoking, I used a pretty-much-even mix of apple wood and "Jack Daniels Whiskey Barrel Smoking Chips" -- the remains of broken down oak barrels formerly used to store Jack Daniels whiskey.

Manohman... with some mashed potatoes and bacon-wrapped smoked asparagus bundles... we stuffed ourselves, silly.

Eric Payne
Lawrenceville, GA

I'm going to give this a try with some Crown Maple and see what happens.

Please don't tell my husband I'm hitting up his bottle for yet another recipe.

Thanks for posting this recipe Dutch.  Made this earlier in the week and wow!  That sauce is fantastic, great flavor and compliments the pork very well.  We made so much Im still eating it for lunch today, not that its a bad thing.

Thanks again

Phil

New to the forum and this thread caught my eye. Will probably give the mohagany sauce a try this weekend on a pork loin using a blackberry chipotle jelly instead of grape. Quick question, has anyone used this sauce on duck? Seems like it might work well with a smoked or rotisseried duck.

Last edited:
I have not tried it on Duck but there is no reason it wouldn't be good. Duck is strong enough to stand against the sauce. I would try Blueberry Preserves with Duck...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky