Smoked Pork Loin with Mahogany Sauce

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Dutch

Smoking Guru
Original poster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
OTBS Admin
Group Lead
Jul 7, 2005
Midvale, UT
A couple of weeks ago I tried my hand at smoking a 9 pound pork loin. Here is what I did.

Cut loin in half so that you have 2 roasts approximately 4 - 4 1/2 pound each.
Coat each roast with prepared yellow mustard and apply your favorite Pork Rub. Allow roast to sit for 20-30 minutes to allow the mustard/rub to dry. In the meantime fire up the smoker.
Place the roasts in the smoker and smoke for 2 1/2 - 3 hours until meat thermometer reaches 145 degrees F.

In the meantime make the Mahogany Sauce, the ingredients may seem strange but man what a sauce!

Mahogany Sauce:
3 strips bacon, diced
1/2 cup chopped onion
3 cloves chopped garlic
1 cup grape or raspberry jam
1 cup catsup
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons of your favorite whiskey

Saute bacon and onion until onion is tender then add garlic and saute for another minute. Drain bacon drippings from skillet. Add grape jam, catsup, vinegar and whiskey. Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Makes 2-1/2 cups.

When the Pork loin reaches 145 degrees F. apply the Mahogany Sauce and smoke for another 30 minutes. Remove roasts from the smoker and allow them to rest for 15-20 minutes. I usually tent the roasts with aluminum foil at this point. Slice roast and serve with remaining Mahogany sauce on the side.

NOTE: The original recipe did not have the garlic or the whiskey. Even without these additional ingredients this sauce is still fantastic.

Earl,

I can honestly say that I've never even thought to use grape or any other flavor jam in a sauce recipe. I can see, though, how it would be a great substitute for the brown sugar found in many of the more "ordinary" recipes. I'm intrigued, to say the least, and I'm gonna try this on my next roast.

That's what I love about this forum...Every time I log on, I find something new & tasty to try! Thanks for the tip.

Cheers,
Brian

I'll admit that I thought this was a strange recipe when it was given to me by a good ol' Texas boy.

I made the Mahogany Sauce one day with seedless Raspberry Jam for one of my daughters (she just loves raspberrys). She said that the 'que sauce was so good with the raspberry jam in it she wanted to take the leftover sauce home with her so she could use it on toast. Strange child-takes after her mom when she thinks like that!! :shock: :P

Hi There Earl D-

I throw Pork Loins in my smoker on a regular basis but the next time I do I will be trying your Mahogany Sauce.This sounds delicioso and is simple and quick.

Thanks,

ranger72 8)

hmm i have put apple jelly in a mop once when i was out of apple juice

that mahogany sauce sounds like it would be good on ribs to

Glad to have helped!! :lol:

Earl, WOW! Thanks. New to smoking but not for long. Gotta get to the store! Yeeeehaaaww! Monty

Earl,

Did this up with a pork loin as you suggested, all I can say is thank you very much!!!! Man the sauce made the pork loin.

My mother in law just went crazy! Did some smoked sweet potatoes with it and it was gone!

The only thing different I did was pull at 160 degrees. I think I read where the pork council boys said it was ok to pull earlier (like you said - 145 degrees) but I just didn't want to make mom sick. She just went hog wild on this one.

Can't wait to make it again!

Wynn

Glad she liked it Wynn. I know what you mean about the pork temp. My moms' digestive system doesn't handle pork very well unless it's done to 160* or better.

Here's an idea to try with them smoked sweet 'taters-remove the skins and mash well, stir in about 1/4 - 1/2 cup of Mahogany Sauce. Top off with some real butter and some salt and pepper to taste. MMMMmmmm!

Now look what you did Wynn- you done went and made me hungry, now I'll have to go raid the fridge and see if there are any of last nights pork ribs left!! :)

Earl,
Thanks for the Mahogany Sauce recipe! It really sounds good. I have copied it into my book and will certainly put it to good use. I also want to try the rasberry version. (My wife is crazy about rasberries).

Bill

Since we have a number of new members, I thought I would refresh some recipes that have been hiding in the back pages. Here is one of my family favorites. Enjoy!

Even the older members appreciate reminders like this! Thanks Dutch! Today I have a pork butt in the smoker and am trying Jamison's "Southern Succor Pork Rub", published in their "Smoke and Spice" book. Mixed up a batch and we'll see how it works!
Cheers!
Monty

I particularly like this subject. Pork Loin is one of my favorites because it freezes and reheats well for a quick meal. I need to know from you distinguished gentlemen how long it would take at 225* to cook to 165 internal. I have company coming and have always used the grill. Now with the new smoker it wont be going on the grill!
Thanks a lot!

Dutch you never cease to amaze me with your wealth of knowledge, vast resource of recipes, and energy that you put into this forum. Thanks so much for this recipe. Just when I think that we have used all the good ingredients you offer something like this.

Thanks

Hey Dutch,
That's very similar to a recipe we use here in the mid-Atlantic for Swedish meatballs except we use chili sauce (in a jar) instead of ketchup. For a quick buffet line item, take a crock pot, throw in some frozen meatballs, 1 jar of grape jelly to 1 jar of chili sauce. For an extra treat, use lil' smokies instead of meatballs. They'll be the first things gone!! I will definitely try this on a loin! Never thought of it for that, thanks for wake up call!!

New guy here - Recipe sounds awesome. I just put up a batch of Prickly Pear Jelly. Might try it with that. Also, I make Mesquite Jelly. How awesome would that be? I copied it to my recipe book.Thanks

Az_Redneck, Welcome to SMF. Traditional Mahogany Sauce calls for grape jam, but I've made it with seedless raspberry jelly ('cuz I have a daughter that's a raspberry freak) and homemade plum preserves. So use what ya got and make it your own (But ya gotta try it with the grape jam sometime).

Please take a few moments and visit the "Roll Call" forum and tell us a bit about yourself.

Thanks!

Here's what Dutch's stuffed loin looks like. (These are Tenderloins, however!)

Jefferson
dbd71422_vbattach11024.jpg

1069b997_vbattach11023.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky