Smoked Pork Chops

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Andres1388

Original poster
Nov 13, 2020
Hello All,
I am planning on smoking pork chops for the very first time. Does anyone have any suggestions or tips for what did work or didn't work? My plan is to smoke them at 250 for roughly an hour with very light hickory smoke.

Chops for Smoking.

Thickness,
nothing less than 1.5", the thicker the better.
Anything less than 1.5" and it's time to think about curing and cold smoking.
Otherwise they cook way too fast and you reach 140° IT before they get much smoke on them.

Brine,
wet brine your chops at least overnight, if not up to 24 hours. This will help them stay juicy and tender even if you overshoot your 140° IT by a few degrees.

Cure,
instead of just brining them in a salt solution you can cure for that ham flavor that so many people love.
This will also let you cold smoke them and get more smoke on them if so desired.

Finish on grill or in cast iron,
I prefer to smoke mine at 200°-225°, and pull them off at 120° IT or less.
Then I finish them on a screaming hot grill or cast iron frying pan for that tasty seared flavor.

Last edited:
About 10 years ago they raised the "Safe Internal Temp" from 160° to 145°, so if you shoot for 140°, I would try to overshoot by about 5 degrees, including carryover.

Bear

Reactions: tallbm
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky