Smoked pork carne Adovada.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinEdge

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 18, 2020
Western Colorado
Just bought a fresh picnic because it was cheap and fresh. I boned and butterflied it it then rub with Kinders all purpose.

6DDE7DC9-7D7A-495B-96F5-B9D4D8AAE2FD.jpeg

About 4 hours in smoke at 275. Great color and was IT of 155F when I pulled it. Then into a foil pan, pour one beer in for a braising liquid, then foil tight and into the oven for about one hour at 300F. To an IT of about 200 or just shy in the upper 190’s. The liquid gold in the pan will be used to cook the Chile rojo.

F187D9C4-6127-454D-9204-0F5BA99F4508.jpeg

On to the red Chile sauce. This is New Mexico style. We use New Mexico Chile, guajio, ancho and del arbol. First boil a a sauce pan half full of water for just a few minutes, then remove from heat and add the chiles that have been stemmed and de-seeded. Let this steep for more than 30 minutes but not much more than one hour. No heat just the hot water. Then remove and into the blender with about a half a white onion course chopped and about 4-5 large garlic cloves smashed and peeled, no need for mincing. Then add about 3-4 tsp of good chicken bouillon like Knorr brand and enough tea water to blend smooth, blend for as much as 10 minutes on medium high speed to get it smooth.

872F6085-DB70-4A0A-A8DF-7FD5FF14B7E0.jpeg

862806C9-F4A3-4590-97D4-C169F2CF7529.jpeg

C9EDAEBD-2D87-43A4-92E0-64B626E04DE9.jpeg
Next we will fry the Chile sauce in that golden pork juice for a few minutes then prep and plate the pork with some fresh cooked anasazi beans. Stay tuned.

Just bought a fresh picnic because it was cheap and fresh. I boned and butterflied it it then rub with Kinders all purpose.

View attachment 664150
About 4 hours in smoke at 275. Great color and was IT of 155F when I pulled it. Then into a foil pan, pour one beer in for a braising liquid, then foil tight and into the oven for about one hour at 300F. To an IT of about 200 or just shy in the upper 190’s. The liquid gold in the pan will be used to cook the Chile rojo.

View attachment 664151

On to the red Chile sauce. This is New Mexico style. We use New Mexico Chile, guajio, ancho and del arbol. First boil a a sauce pan half full of water for just a few minutes, then remove from heat and add the chiles that have been stemmed and de-seeded. Let this steep for more than 30 minutes but not much more than one hour. No heat just the hot water. Then remove and into the blender with about a half a white onion course chopped and about 4-5 large garlic cloves smashed and peeled, no need for mincing. Then add about 3-4 tsp of good chicken bouillon like Knorr brand and enough tea water to blend smooth, blend for as much as 10 minutes on medium high speed to get it smooth.

View attachment 664158
View attachment 664159
View attachment 664160Next we will fry the Chile sauce in that golden pork juice for a few minutes then prep and plate the pork with some fresh cooked anasazi beans. Stay tuned.
That looks really good! How spicy are we takin here? You New Mexico folks sometimes tolerate more spice than the rest of us....

Reactions: SmokinEdge
That looks really good! How spicy are we takin here? You New Mexico folks sometimes tolerate more spice than the rest of us....
This is a really nice medium spice roll. With beans, meat and fried potatoes it’s just delicious and eat until you nap.

Far as I recall, the del arbol are the hottest in the mix, so less of them if it's spicier than you want.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Far as I recall, the del arbol are the hottest in the mix, so less of them if it's spicier than you want.
The New Mexican can get warm too, so it’s a balance. I run about 50% guajio Chile, which are mild but produce a great flavor base, then the New Mexico then the arbol heat wise, but they build in the back as a nice heat, not a punch in the face at all. The ancho brings that deep rich color, no heat but delicious.

Reactions: JLeonard and DougE
Combine the liquid gold and the sauce, about 1 cup of gold liquid. Simmer over very low heat and incorporate. The Chile base will act kinda like a rue. It will absorb that oil and incorporate nicely.

D1268954-2750-4D38-8549-0F8D2D0503A5.jpeg

E24B293E-0521-4F11-A86A-DDC789095C71.jpeg
BD42B25D-61B2-43CA-9F61-C45CCEB76EE1.jpeg

Chop the meat course, chunkie, then plate and smother the meat with the Chile.
A4CE0076-105F-4D6C-9016-0FB2FF1EEB87.jpeg

54A27644-D5ED-4DC6-9CF1-CA3D977EEEE0.jpeg

Plated with fried yukon gold potatoes and the Anasazi beans, they are much like pintos but much more creamy in texture and flavor.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky