Smoked paprika cheese nuts

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Brokenhandle

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 9, 2019
Nw Iowa
What are smoked paprika cheese nuts you ask... I don't have a clue! But I did cold smoke some paprika, cheese, and mixed nuts back in January when it was warm still! Ambient temp was 31 degrees F, warmed up the smoker a bit then cut heat, smoker ran right at 41 degrees with nothing on for heat except amnps tray filled with apple pellets. This time I did take cheese out of wrappers the day before and put back in fridge uncovered, first time doing this... can't remember who suggested this but know it was on SMF. Here's my stack of cheese I started with...Shelly said I might have issues!

20210116_110308.jpg

Cheese and paprika in coffee filters, had mild cheddar, mozzarella, monteray jack, colby jack, muenster, and colby longhorn. Somehow I totally spaced off gouda and looked for kerrygold but couldn't find any.

20210117_160350.jpg

20210117_160841.jpg

Had a can of off brand mixed nuts and was surprised when I opened it...a bunch of brazil nuts right on top, last time we got a can of name brand mixed nuts we realized they don't put brazil nuts in there anymore ( dang political correctness!)

20210117_161707.jpg

Put some nuts on q mat on tray with holes in it. Never tried this before so didn't do alot in case we didn't like them.

20210117_161843.jpg

Had some nice tbs going

20210117_161501.jpg

Cheese was smoked for 4 hours, kept stirring the paprika about every half hour and sampled nuts at same time...also had Shelly try the nuts, I was afraid of my taste being off from being around the smoke. Pulled the paprika and nuts at 3 hours. And the finished cheese, didn't take on much color but believe it came from smoking at a cooler temp.

20210117_203544.jpg

We let the cheese hang out in the fridge a day uncovered to mellow out and to make the fridge smell heavenly! Next day we did demolish a chunk of the cheddar, first slice was a bit smokey... that's why I ate it, that and because I had the knife but man it was good! Will have to say we really enjoyed the mixed nuts and will be doing them again, just a nice smokey flavor! Shelly was too fast for me vac sealing the cheese after a day in the fridge but here's a pic of our cheese drawer, and no it didn't all fit!

20210218_160820.jpg

Almost forgot pics of my helpers! This is Big Guy and his sad brown eye look, they make me melt!

20210117_183210.jpg

And of course our little toddler Kya, she'll be 2 on st. Patties Day! They are both really happy it's warmed up above 0 so they can spend more time outside!

20201225_231548.jpg

Thanks for dropping by and take care!

Ryan

Last edited:
Nice Ryan, those will go good with a cold one! That paprika will be tasty! Also, like the pics of the pups!
Thanks Justin, I appreciate it! It is good stuff, last year I smoked up a bunch of himalayan pink salt. Had to throw in the pics of the dogs, they are our buds! We still call Kya a toddler cuz she is and she refuses to leave a single toy or bone in her basket... they are spread out everywhere!

Ryan

Reactions: Rafter H BBQ
Those darn dog eyes get ya lol. Totally get it with mine. All that looks fantastic. Jealous of that huge cheese stash!

Those darn dog eyes get ya lol. Totally get it with mine. All that looks fantastic. Jealous of that huge cheese stash!
Thanks Jeff, I appreciate it! Might have to do more still, can't believe I forgot the gouda! Ya Big Guy definitely has the eyes... when he was younger I always made Shelly scold him if he was naughty... I'm too much of a softie!

Ryan

Reactions: jcam222
Nice haul on some delicious looking stuff Ryan. I should have smoked some cheese this week while being snowed in. Hopefully get some going next week if we have any cold weather left

Nice haul on some delicious looking stuff Ryan. I should have smoked some cheese this week while being snowed in. Hopefully get some going next week if we have any cold weather left
Thanks Jake! If your weather gets too warm come on up for a visit... we still have plenty of good weather left for cold smoking!

Ryan

That may last a little while. We have 3 dogs. The two older boys have sitting and , " Giving you the Eyes," down to a science. The 4 month old girl, will sit patiently about 60 seconds. Starts periodic whining then barking to get your attention. Eventually she loses control and attempts to help herself! Its hard to get mad when you watch the process from start to finish. You can see her getting more and more anxious until getting a tasty bite of food outweighs any punishment and she goes for it.☺...JJ

Ryan That looks great, the cheese will get darker as it ages. Let the Paprika sit for awhile before using it, it needs to mellow some IMHO
Richie

Nice batch of cheese Ryan and those nuts won’t last long around here, especially with a beer nearby.

I know those eyes all too well. I just wanna give your dog a treat through the screen.

That may last a little while. We have 3 dogs. The two older boys have sitting and , " Giving you the Eyes," down to a science. The 4 month old girl, will sit patiently about 60 seconds. Starts periodic whining then barking to get your attention. Eventually she loses control and attempts to help herself! Its hard to get mad when you watch the process from start to finish. You can see her getting more and more anxious until getting a tasty bite of food outweighs any punishment and she goes for it.☺...JJ
Thanks Jimmy! We love her to death but totally understand what you're saying. She is taller than our last Dobie and none of our dogs get much if any people food but that still doesn't stop her nose from sniffing at the counter all the time! But they both love the big brown truck (UPS) not only does he deliver packages but also treats!

Ryan

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Ryan That looks great, the cheese will get darker as it ages. Let the Paprika sit for awhile before using it, it needs to mellow some IMHO
Richie
Thanks Richie! We usually let the cheese mellow about a month and the paprika also. But was out of paprika and it goes really good in bloody marys!

Ryan

Nice batch of cheese Ryan and those nuts won’t last long around here, especially with a beer nearby.

I know those eyes all too well. I just wanna give your dog a treat through the screen.
Thanks Joe, I appreciate it! Definitely gonna have to smoke more nuts! Those eyes of his just melt me, worse yet when he lays his chin on my leg then looks up at me! His favorite position to lay...

20201204_194040.jpg

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky